Why can't VOBsubs just be ignored?

Fweep
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

Fweep

New poster and new Emby user here. I searched the forums but did not find an answer to this specific question.

I've been using MakeMKV to archive my DVDs, preserving all streams. Then I use FFmpeg, sometimes with AviSynth, to transcode and replace the MPEG-2 video streams with H.264, also cropped and deinterlaced or IVTC'd as appropriate. The resulting MKV still has the original audio and subtitle streams.

On my Stick, I can use Roku Media Player via Serviio to directly play the file. Any unplayable subtitle streams are simply ignored.

I am trying out Emby now, and I'm disappointed that it does not direct-play these files. It insists on transcoding them because it knows the Roku can't use that format of subtitle stream. Based on the behavior of Roku Media Player, it seems this transcoding is not actually necessary, though. Is there a way I can configure Emby to have the Roku play such files anyway, without transcoding to remove VOBsubs?

Edited by Fweep

Hi, well the other option is to just not select them. You can do this prior to playback, and you can even configure default behavior in your user subtitle options.

• Solution

The issue is the VOBSUB are marked as default. Since Emby respects those flags when set on streams this happens. The Roku also follows what Emby suggests. So right now what happens is you are correct. The Roku understands it cannot play VOBSUB and reports such in the capabilities it has told the server. The server sees that default flag and compares against your user profile subtitle/caption settings. It sees that it can burn these into the video because based on your user profile subtitle/caption settings this is found acceptable. This video stream with burned in subtitles is then sent to the Roku.

To prevent this you can:

1) See on the item detail screen the SUBTITLE drop down. Change this to "Off (None)" and there will be none shown. Then start playback.

2) You can also turn these subtitles off during playback. Press DOWN while video is playing. Find the subtitle icon (looks like a square with the letters CC in it). Click it and change them to "Off (None)".

3) Alter your user profile on the server under the subtitle section.

For 1 and 2 your Emby server will "remember" what was last selected to use it the next time. So once you use 1 or 2 above your selection afterwards should "stick" and you should not have to repeat this again. When you select "Off (None)" it will remember that the next time that item is played. You aren't forced to do this every single time. Emby places nice. Emby remembers you.

Edited by speechles