all I want to do is play videos that are in a sub-directory of a usb stick

jleslie48

jleslie48

does this app do that?   

I'm on roku tv,   I added it as a channel.   now its asking me something about a pin, asking me to put in a server,  I have no idea what to type.

help please!!!!

jleslie48

thanks luke.    that is about the most poorly written quick start guide I have ever read.   I didn't even realize I needed a secnod computer besides the roku TV.   Are there any real directions on how to set up the server?    I mean if the server is running, I'm guessing I can just access that computers hard drive rather than a usb stick?   The whole idea of the usb stick was to use the roku tv only.     

RobWayBro

Honestly, if all you desire is to view a movie off a USB, then you should be able to plug it into the Roku TV and use the Roku Media Player app.  https://support.tclusa.com/rokutv-faqs/283183-playing-video-or-music-from-usb-devices-using-roku-media-player#:~:text=To play your media attach,the Roku Media Player channel.

Emby is a sever/client application for storing and serving media you own and have stored on your hard drives.

jleslie48

@rob:     roku just broke the media player.   it won't repeat the video 24x7.   I'm looking for an app that will play the same folder 24x7.   The web said something about emby being able to do that, but I can't find list of what emby does let alone how to install it. 

jleslie48

so I guess I want to know first off, is if emby will play a directory of video's one after the the other and keep playing them forever without waiting for user input, and only stop if instructed to?

3 minutes ago, jleslie48 said:

so I guess I want to know first off, is if emby will play a directory of video's one after the the other and keep playing them forever without waiting for user input, and only stop if instructed to?

You can do play all on a folder, yes.

Make sure to disable the "Are you still watching?" setting in the application which is YES by default. Once you change that to NO as mentioned above, yes. You can play anything in a folder by press PLAY (not the OK button) on the item directly. Pressing PLAY means you want contents of that folder/container sent to the video player. Pressing OK on a folder/container means you want more context via screens sent to you. There is a difference when using OK and PLAY that might not be immediately obvious. You can still play all by using OK and entering the grid of items in that folder and using the PLAY ALL button on the toolbar to do the same. But using PLAY directly on the folder/container is much faster to get there.

Edited by speechles

jleslie48
21 minutes ago, Luke said:

You can do play all on a folder, yes.

ok, it will play all but what will it do after it plays all?   will it go back to the first one and repeat the cycle forever?    thanks,  jleslie48

jleslie48
15 minutes ago, speechles said:

Make sure to disable the "Are you still watching?" setting in the application which is YES by default. Once you change that to NO as mentioned above, yes. You can play anything in a folder by press PLAY (not the OK button) on the item directly. Pressing PLAY means you want contents of that folder/container sent to the video player. Pressing OK on a folder/container means you want more context via screens sent to you. There is a difference when using OK and PLAY that might not be immediately obvious. You can still play all by using OK and entering the grid of items in that folder and using the PLAY ALL button on the toolbar to do the same. But using PLAY directly on the folder/container is much faster to get there.

thanks for the description but that doesn't answer will is keep playing once its finished with all the videos?  I want the videos to play like a screen saver, one after the other, and circling back to the first one after the last FOREVER, NEVER STOPPING 24x7.  this is the critical part that nobody and none of the documentation will tell me.   

Thanks.  

Once playing.. press down.. this will open the OSD.

On the OSD find the Cog/Gear and press it. This will open the playback menu. On this find "Repeat" and set to YES. Now it will do as you wish. Forever.