How to tell Emby to stop assigning bonus clips as alternate versions of episodes

Paulshelling

Paulshelling

I have a series and a collection of videos where a group watches along the same episodes - the concept is to play the episode on one device and play the watchalong on another.

They exist in seperate folder in the Series folder but no matter what i do they are recognized by Emby as the actual episodes and keep becoming the default for those episodes. Likewise, in the Emby interface, the watchalong's folder is empty (as they are seen as alternate versions of the actual episodes).

I have tried taking the series name out of the file name but the only thing that worked was renaming as such '(shorthand for series name)_01 - because of the underscore, Emby would not be able to read '01' as an episode number. This worked until i changed the NFO metadata for the watchalong episodes to 'Episode 1', 'Episode 2' etc. - now they are back to being alternate versions of the original episodes and of course, once again the default versions of those episodes.

What can I do to tell Emby to stop assigning these videos as versions of the episodes and just have them sit by themselves in their own folder as if they were specials or behind the scenes clips? The watchalong epiosdes need to be numbered like episodes as well in their NFO data and this is what's conufsing Emby - however to repeat, the watchalong episodes do not have the series or episode numbers in their filenames, they sit in their own folder and are not labeled as belonging to the series in their NFO metadata - the only commonality is that they sit in the same Series folder and have episode numbers in their NFO metadata.

Edited by Paulshelling

Deathsquirrel

Pretty sure the structure you describe is absolutely unsupported. There are three options:

1. Move these to the specials/season 00f older and then manually set up the metadata.
  2. Name them as alternate versions of the episodes and use the version selector to pick the episode version you want to play
  3. Move them to a separate series folder.

You may also need to remove the existing NFO files as Emby is going to try to use them and you already aren't happy with the results.

I'd love to try and help you with the disc layout as well as many other very knowledgeable members here.

You throw out a term that's not used here "watchalong" and mention "bonus" files in the title.

Can you spell out what you are trying to do in more detail?  The better we understand what you want to do the better we can try to help you.

Paulshelling

Thank you both the replies, it's not even about these watch alongs - consider the idea of a video clip analysing an episode. Here's an example:

For the show Re:Zero, I have the following folders and the files inside:

• Season 1
    • Re Zero s01e01a.mkv
    • Re Zero s01e01b.mkv
    • ReZero s01e02.mkv
  • Analysis
    • (Re Zero) (Anime Wins) Everything great about ReZero Director's Cut (First Half).mp4
    • (Re Zero) (Lowart) Why ReZero is an Amazing anime (Part 1).mp4
    • (Re Zero) (NearlyOnRed) Episode 1.mp4

No manual NFOs on anything

And here's how Emby has decided to organize the files:

• Analysis folder
    • (Re Zero) (Anime Wins) Everything great about ReZero Director's Cut (First Half)
  • Season 1
    • 1. The End of the Beginning and the Beginning of the End {the first episode}
      • Version: (Re Zero) (Lowart) Why ReZero is an Amazing anime (Part 1) {default}
      • Version: (Re Zero) (NearlyOnRed) Episode 1
      • Version: Re Zero s01e01a
      • Version: Re Zero s01e01b

So I can't have any numbers in my Analysis files? Is there anyway to tell Emby 'no! Leave that folder alone! No Metadata!'

Edited by Paulshelling

daedalus

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

episodes can't be split up in the emby world, often asked never realized, as well as extras for series

why should ever anyone want to need it? oh wait, every now and then some comes up with the same question but never mind 😕

the only thing yu can do is manually editing the metadata and lock them to prevent emby from changing anything back

27 minutes ago, Paulshelling said:

So I can't have any numbers in my Analysis files? Is there anyway to tell Emby 'no! Leave that folder alone! No Metadata!'

no, not in the way you think of, individualism and easy and usefull costumization is nothing that is part of the emby world

Edited by daedalus

Well you can but not if you want to get metadata for the files.

To get metadata it needs to be able to match the filename or you can IDENTIFY it manually.

The easy "test" and good measure is to try and allow a program like FileBot to rename your files.  If it can't rename the file chances are Emby will also have an issue with the file.

Deathsquirrel

There isn't currently support for folders for different types of extras in a TV Series library.  So you can't have something like this:

\\SERVER\SHARE\TV\ReZERO -Starting Life in Another World-\Season 00
\\SERVER\SHARE\TV\ReZERO -Starting Life in Another World-\Analysis
\\SERVER\SHARE\TV\ReZERO -Starting Life in Another World-\Season 01

All extras need to be in the Season 00 folder at this point.

Paulshelling

Okay thank you for the replies, I've decided to turn off Metadata searching for my Series.

One problem however is with a series called Steins;Gate - TVDB have decided the second season titled Steins;Gate 0 should be listed as a seperate series all together. I think this is ridicolous as does a recent poster on their forum, and would like it to show up as a season under Steins;Gate. Theoretically I can do this because this library no longer searches for metadata however after moving the series into a folder tltled Steins Gate 0 under the larger Steins Gate folder - it's now showing both folders containing the same epsiodes, featuring the metadata of Steins;Gate 0 and the thumbnails of the original season like some frankenstein monster.

With metadata turned off, I would like to have Emby list only the video files in each's respective folders.

Using Emby without having it fetch metadata isn't very ideal.

What you need to learn is that you need to conform your labels and filenames to what the metadata providers use for best results.

If you get an "off series" you can manually edit the meta-data to your liking then LOCK it so it won't get updated.

With metadata turned off, I would like to have Emby list only the video files in each's respective folders.

In a TV library it will still try to interpret season and episode numbers from file names. If this is still an issue then you may want to try setting it up as home videos instead.