HDR x265 mkv picture problem

Guest kovibalko

Guest kovibalko
420/5000

Hi! 😀 The problem is the following: (I watch H264 1080p mkv movies mostly with 5.1 Hungarian sound) At the same time, in the case of HDR x265 mkv files, blurring and pixel blurring can be experienced in the lower 15-25cm band of the TV screen. (2017 49 '' LGUJ701V 4k HDR tv, ARC =
Delock High Speed HDMI cable Ethernet 3D 4K 2 m Slim High Quality, Denon X1600 AVR, Lenovo Legion Y520 notebook,) Thanks for the answers in advance too! 😀

Guest kovibalko

Hi! 😀 The problem is the following: (I watch H264 1080p mkv movies mostly with 5.1 Hungarian sound) At the same time, in the case of HDR x265 mkv files, blurring and pixel blurring can be experienced in the lower 15-25cm band of the TV screen. (2017 49 '' LGUJ701V 4k HDR tv, ARC =
Delock High Speed HDMI cable Ethernet 3D 4K 2 m Slim High Quality, Denon X1600 AVR, Lenovo Legion Y520 notebook,) Thanks for the answers in advance too! 😀

SamES

Hi, can you please provide some additional information

• What format is the audio stream?
  • Are you playing any subtitles?  If so, what kind are they?
  • Is it playing via DirectPlay, DirectStream or Transcoding?

Can you please also attach relevant logs and any other information as per this guide

Thanks

Guest kovibalko

Hi!

I rarely use subtitles, I watch movies in Hungarian.
Where can I see directstream, transcoding or directplay? I attach a couple of settings image.
I upload the mkv format movies to a folder created on the Lenovo Legion Y520 notebook / 15,6fhd-ips-i7-7700hq-8gb-256gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-nvidia-gtx-1050-4gb / hdd (90% of these they are encoded with mkv h264 - I also attach the info board of the 1917 movie - there is no problem with this type !!!) - I watch this with the Emby app of the LG television - I think it's directstream...?!:)
The problem is experienced with eg hdr and x265 mkv files, but not always there (I also attach the info of the Wall-E movie, which unfortunately shows the blur)

Thanks

1917.PNG

emby1.PNG

emby2.PNG

Wall-e.PNG

SamES

If you check the dashboard on the server while it is playing, this should tell you if it’s direct playing, etc

You can also turn on the ‘stats for nerds’ in the playback settings in the LG Emby app during playback to get this info. If you are playing the TrueHD track, this will cause streaming which may cause some issues with x265 content. 

Also try disabling hardware acceleration on the server transcoding setting and see if this helps. 

Guest kovibalko

thanks
I checked, direct playing.
I turned off hardware acceleration, but unfortunately the blur remained, just maybe not to that extent.
Any other ideas maybe?

SamES

If it's DirectPlaying then this means the TV is playing the file directly, so there is not much we can do from an app perspective.

Are you using a wired or wireless network?

Try putting the file on a USB drive and connecting it directly to the TV and play the file using the TV's built-in media app.  Does it still have the same issue?

Guest kovibalko

I use wired internet for both notebook and smart tv
I tried to play the same movie from a copied usb, there was no blur. Yet the 2017 LG tv’s own media player I doubt it would be stronger than the emby’s.
Unfortunately, I also have a sound problem, similarly I raised it here under "Sound" - this also only occurs when using the app - not when playing from an external usb or watching simple tv.

SamES
On 7/6/2020 at 4:47 PM, kovibalko said:

I use wired internet for both notebook and smart tv
I tried to play the same movie from a copied usb, there was no blur. Yet the 2017 LG tv’s own media player I doubt it would be stronger than the emby’s.
Unfortunately, I also have a sound problem, similarly I raised it here under "Sound" - this also only occurs when using the app - not when playing from an external usb or watching simple tv.

I've not experienced either of these issues.  You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

On these TV's, wireless network connections often performs better but for the file you have listed above, it is not a high bitrate, so it should not be an issue.

Is the server and TV on the same local network, or is this server on a remote network?

• 1 month later...
Guest kovibalko

yes, it's on the same network, I reinstalled the app, but unfortunately it still pops up for a couple of movies (most recently 4k HVEC encoding, and HDR, but unfortunately I can't figure out which format it comes with anymore). Interestingly, ripped netflix movies don’t have one

28 minutes ago, kovibalko said:

yes, it's on the same network, I reinstalled the app, but unfortunately it still pops up for a couple of movies (most recently 4k HVEC encoding, and HDR, but unfortunately I can't figure out which format it comes with anymore). Interestingly, ripped netflix movies don’t have one

What I would suggest now is to take particular notice of the playback (is it DirectPlay, DirectStream or Transcode) for each movie that you have an issue.  

If it is DirectStream then you will need to select a different audio track track (not TrueHD) and check whether it is now DirectPlay, and if you still have a problem when it is DirectPlay.

If it is Transcoding, then you will need to change the video format to get it to DirectPlay and check whether it still has an issue.

If changing it to DirectPlay does not resolve the issue, then please confirm with the TV's internal player as to whether it can play the file correctly from USB.  If it can,  then you (or your TV) may be having networking issues, or there is something else that I have never seen before.

Basically, when it is DirectPlaying, the server and client are not doing anything to the to the file and the TV is playing it directly as it would via a USB, in which case there is very little that we can do.

Whatever you find, please report back and let us know.  If it DirectPlays fine, but has an issue with DirectStream or Transcode, then we can investigate some more things in the client related tot hat specific example.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:06 PM, kovibalko said:

blurring and pixel blurring can be experienced in the lower 15-25cm band of the TV screen

Can you post a picture to show this?

Hi,

Another test you can try if possible is to use DLNA from the LG to play back the file from Emby.  

How does the picture look if you playback the file this way (if possible)?

• 1 month later...
Guest kovibalko

Hi! Eventually it turned out what the problem was: I took back the noise reduction in the TV picture setting - and the blur was gone :)
Thanks to everyone!

11 minutes ago, kovibalko said:

Hi! Eventually it turned out what the problem was: I took back the noise reduction in the TV picture setting - and the blur was gone :)
Thanks to everyone!

Thanks for the feedback.  That's amazing that noise reduction caused the picture to look so bad for you.  I'll try and keep that in mind for others to try,

rbjtech
1 hour ago, kovibalko said:

Thanks to everyone!

A useful reminder - thanks.

I'm pretty sure the default for an HDMI source is either off or low.   NR is meant for low quality digital OAC broadcasts (where it does actually help), but with a direct digital HDMI profile (remember you get independent settings for EACH HDMI source), all it will do is blur the image - did you maybe set it to high thinking it would improve the picture ?

For 1080p/4K sources, turn it all off - the source should not need extra post processing ;)

Edited by rbjtech