HW Acceleration not using GPU

SparJar
Go to solution Solved by softworkz,

SparJar

Trying to get HW Acceleration to work properly on my setup.  I have a workstation running Windows 10 with Dual Xeon E5-2630 v3, NVIDIA Quadro P5000, and 64 GB RAM. 

I have looked through a few of the topics on this and some of the other users previous problems and have not been able to figure this out.  I have attached a couple of logs that I have seen asked for in other threads already. 

From what I can see, the ffmpeg log says it is using the GPU, but when I am actively watching something and I check the usage on my computer and it has 0% utilization on the GPU with 35% utilization on the CPU with nothing else running other than the one video I am streaming so I know that's coming from the transcoding. 

ffmpeg-transcode-0fb17f84-9720-4248-a020-beb597a22fd6_1.txt hardware_detection-63729229044.txt

Sammy

Do you have Premier?

Have you set Emby to transcode in the server settings using the advanced features?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SparJar
2 hours ago, Sammy said:

Do you have Premier?

Have you set Emby to transcode in the server settings using the advanced features?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yes to both. I can send screenshots once I get off work just to confirm I have it set up properly in the settings, but the only options in the Advanced Features show the P5000. 

SparJar
1 hour ago, MisterAngelus said:

Sounds a bit like my issue that nvidia has yet to fix 

Hmmm sounds like I may just go find an old driver and give it a shot.  This is a fresh install from last night so it's not even the main server I am using right now.  Plenty of chance for me to go messing around and testing stuff.  Thanks for the info!

Sammy

My drivers work great and are hacked for multiple streams so I'm not going to upgrade them before checking even though I'm being begged to do so. I also have Win10 locked to 1903 using Stopupdates10.

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

SparJar
9 hours ago, Sammy said:

Post your server log too.

Screenshot of the settings and server log as requested.  I will try and find an older driver and see if that makes a difference while you're checking those out for me. 

image.thumb.png.e2c35f1820f9d3ee417978de4a643eb1.png

embyserver-63729229034.txt

Happy2Play

To me I think we may need @softworkz to possibly explain the error.

20:10:00.455 Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
20:10:00.581 [h264_nvenc @ 0000029b3d0cad80] Cannot get the preset configuration: invalid version (15): (no details)
20:10:00.581 Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
20:10:00.602 [libmp3lame @ 0000029b3d0c96c0] 3 frames left in the queue on closing
20:10:00.648 Conversion failed!

• Like 1

SparJar

Okay the driver looks like it was the issue.  At least for it not transcoding using the GPU.  What I didn't realize last night was that I never installed a driver other than the one Windows did automatically so it was still using a driver from 2017.  I may try updating to the most current and see if it still works. 

Now, one thing I noticed was that even for just one stream it was using A LOT of the GPU spiking up to 100% at time and steadily at 50-60%.  I don't have throttling turned on so I am guessing it was just churning through the transcode as quickly as possible, and that's fine if that's what the cause of that was, but I want to be sure that it wouldn't effect someone else if they decided to start streaming at the same time, would Emby load balance the streams to transcode at the same rate or should I turn on throttling?

New logs attached to look at. 

hardware_detection-63729302194.txt embyserver-63729302186.txt ffmpeg-transcode-2f69474d-c936-4681-b791-d6c976a885af_1.txt

It's a matter of YOUR preference.  For example if using nvidia by default will only allow 2 streams.  So without throttling and someone started to play something your system would convert the whole movie/show as fast as possible and free up the stream.  Thus you would have 2 streams available again.

Downside is the spike on the hardware which may not matter.  But if you start to watch something and then stop you may still continue to process the whole file.  An advantage of getting the whole file processed quickly is when watching sports or things you've recorded with advertisement and halftimes, etc that now can be forwarded much faster since it's already been transcoded.

So basically try it both ways as see which way you prefer or what works best for you.  I think most people run it throttled.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 6:48 PM, Happy2Play said:

To me I think we may need @softworkz to possibly explain the error.

20:10:00.455 Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
20:10:00.581 [h264_nvenc @ 0000029b3d0cad80] Cannot get the preset configuration: invalid version (15): (no details)
20:10:00.581 Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
20:10:00.602 [libmp3lame @ 0000029b3d0c96c0] 3 frames left in the queue on closing
20:10:00.648 Conversion failed!

@softworkz will take a look at this. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

@SparJar - Could you please try to upgrade your Nvidia drivers to the latest version?

When that doesn't help, please downgrade to a version from like half a year ago.

Regards
softworkz

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/29/2020 at 7:23 PM, softworkz said:

@SparJar - Could you please try to upgrade your Nvidia drivers to the latest version?

When that doesn't help, please downgrade to a version from like half a year ago.

Regards
softworkz

@SparJar - Have you had a chance to try this?

SparJar
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

@SparJar - Have you had a chance to try this?

Sorry, yes I did try this and the HW acceleration is working now. Thanks for the help!

• Like 2