No audio on LG OLED CX for DTS

Stateful
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

Stateful

Greetings!

I'm having trouble with no audio if the movie playing has any kind of DTS audio codec and this seems to be a specific issue to the new LG OLED CX TV, more specifically this one: https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-oled48cx6lb

I tried playback on an older LG TV and it had no issues with the same playback.

I've tried messing around with the audio settings on the TV itself but it yielded no result. I've also updated to the latest available firmware for the TV.

Help with this would be very much appreciated! Thank you for reading through!

• Solution
SamES

Yes, we need to disable DirectPlay of DTS for 2020 models in the next release as it's no longer supported by LG.

yarez0
11 hours ago, SamES said:

Yes, we need to disable DirectPlay of DTS for 2020 models in the next release as it's no longer supported by LG.

confirm that CX models no longer support DTS decoding at all.

all 2020 models don't have DTS license (BX, CX, WX etc..), only DOLBY. if you want DTS sounds you need to use external sound system that support it through ARC or eARC, maybe by changing HDMI parameter to PCM instead of BITSTREAM

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3119288-2020-lg-oled-cx-gx-owner-s-thread-faq-posts-1-6-no-price-talk.html

"The DTS-HD internal decoder was removed"

SamES
44 minutes ago, yarez0 said:

if you want DTS sounds you need to use external sound system that support it through ARC or eARC, maybe by changing HDMI parameter to PCM instead of BITSTREAM

I don't even think output via ARC/eARC is supported (as is the case with Samsung).

From your avsforum link:

• DTS/DTS-HD audio is not passed via eARC - LG was notified about this issue, hopefully, they will provide a fix via a future firmware update - We have further indirect info from LG: It's not a bug, they are not supporting it, just like Samsung - so it's not going to be fixed!;
  • DTS and DTS-HD support for USB and HDMI sources - the internal decoder is missing from the factory (as announced in the documentation) and probably it will never be added to the 2020 generation - what is puzzling is that DTS and DTS-HD is not even permitted to passthrough via ARC/eARC;

Edited by SamES

yarez0
2 hours ago, SamES said:

I don't even think output via ARC/eARC is supported (as is the case with Samsung).

From your avsforum link:

My bad 🤦 

SamES
8 hours ago, yarez0 said:

My bad 🤦 

No problem, I just want to be sure that you interpret it the same way, as disabling DTS in the app will disable it from ARC/eARC as well as via the TV speakers.

yarez0

did not read the whole article, I got a 65C9 because of the small diferrence between the C9 and CX and the DTS support. Has I read some topics, the only way for you to have DTS support is to use external device as Apple TV, sticks (NVIDIA etc).

seams that all new devices (TV, soundbars like SONOS ARC) drops out DTS to DOLBY only 😪, saddly if you have DTS you will have to convert all the files 😭

Edited by yarez0

rbjtech

How DTS have fallen 😪 .. I guess the might of streaming with everything being Dolby Digital Plus (incl Atmos) has largely rendered DTS & DTS-HD 'unnecessary' for the vast majority of normal users.

As a consequence - Not having to pay for the DTS license (or more than likely, Dolby paying the manufacturer to not have DTS support 🤪..) is now becoming more common, which on a multi-thousand pound top end TV's is just plain crazy.

Anybody still using Blu-Ray (non 4K) disks is going to get a shock though as DTS-HD was the 'de-facto' standard, and even if the track is available, to me DD/AC3 was always a lower quality audio experience than DTS. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Charlie117

Was there any update on this? I recently bought a LG CX and the lack of DTS has hit me pretty hard with most of my media using DTS for audio.

yarez0
24 minutes ago, Charlie117 said:

Was there any update on this? I recently bought a LG CX and the lack of DTS has hit me pretty hard with most of my media using DTS for audio.

NO DTS on LG CX, as simple as that

Charlie117
1 minute ago, yarez0 said:

NO DTS on LG CX, as simple as that

Yes, I am aware of that. My question refers to how the Emby is dealing with that, considering my CX is still getting Direct Play streams with the DTS audio included. The obvious behaviour would be a transcode to Dolby Digital AC-3.

Edited by Charlie117

SamES
6 minutes ago, Charlie117 said:

Yes, I am aware of that. My question refers to how the Emby is dealing with that, considering my CX is still getting Direct Play streams with the DTS audio included. The obvious behaviour would be a transcode to Dolby Digital AC-3.

Yes, this will be in the next release which is the approval process.

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on this? just got a cx yesterday and downloaded emby thinking I was smart for thinking of a way around the dts problem only to be met with this post in a google search QQ

• 5 weeks later...

Bought this TV today LG 55NANO806NA also 2020 Modell and there is no sound playing movies with dts audio.

Hope you can solve this soon. 

14 hours ago, kan3d2m said:

Bought this TV today LG 55NANO806NA also 2020 Modell and there is no sound playing movies with dts audio.

Hope you can solve this soon. 

Hi, yes it's resolved for the next update to the app. thanks.

On 15/10/2020 at 23:17, Luke said:

Hi, yes it's resolved for the next update to the app. thanks.

Hi sorry, just made an account here to comment.

You work for LG, and a new patch to my OLED65GX TV will arrive eventually which will allow it to play movies with DTS audio codec? Am I getting that right?

12 minutes ago, 10z20 said:

You work for LG, and a new patch to my OLED65GX TV will arrive eventually which will allow it to play movies with DTS audio codec? Am I getting that right?

I work for emby, and the next update to the emby app will resolve this. Thanks.

Interesting. The official Website still says that WebOS 5.0 does support DTS. So the OS does support DTS but the licenses are missing on the latest TVs? WTF ...

http://webostv.developer.lge.com/discover/specifications/supported-media-formats/webos-50/

Charlie117
11 hours ago, 10z20 said:

I just wanted to clarify that the CX will never be able to play the DTS audio codec itself, unless LG decides to add it again (which they probably won't). The Emby patch will simply force a server side transcoding of all DTS content to Dolby Digital (AC-3). So you'll at least be able to play movies with DTS audio, but you're paying for it by reducing the quality to 384kbps AC-3. Probably doesn't matter though if you're playing the sound through the internal speakers or headphones.

poiuy1337

Will it transcode video as well? I'm currently struggling with Plex with 4k file, DTS audio track and subtitles. DTS isn't handled by my tv and that forces to transcode on servers side, but it's transcoding video as well as audio. That's too much to handle by my server.

Will Emby approach this differently? I don't know if that's even possible? Transcode DTS, leave Video as direct play and pass subtitles without burning them in.

4 hours ago, poiuy1337 said:

Will it transcode video as well? I'm currently struggling with Plex with 4k file, DTS audio track and subtitles. DTS isn't handled by my tv and that forces to transcode on servers side, but it's transcoding video as well as audio. That's too much to handle by my server.

Will Emby approach this differently? I don't know if that's even possible? Transcode DTS, leave Video as direct play and pass subtitles without burning them in.

It depends on the video codec, but in some cases yes.