sjkiss

Using only local metadata

sjkiss

HI there, I have a very well organized music library stored on a QNAP NAS. When I set my music library up in Emby, I'm afraid that I checked a couple of boxes somewhere allowing metadata to be downloaded from the internet (e.g. MusicBrainz). To be clear, things have worked very well, but not perfectly. For example, I now have two separate album artists Steve Earle and Steve Earle and the Dukes. But in my local metadata, there is only Steve Earle. Is there a way to right now change the settings so that the metadata *only* reads locally embedded metadata? 

Thank you. Love the product!

Happy2Play

You would have to remove the media do a scan and re-add the media.  Ensuring all library providers are disabled prior to re-adding.

Luke

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

sjkiss

Hi there: So, "remove the media", does that mean delete the library?

sjkiss

Is downloading images likely to affect the genres and the album artist metadata?

Luke
9 hours ago, sjkiss said:

Hi there: So, "remove the media", does that mean delete the library?

Yes, exactly.

Luke
7 hours ago, sjkiss said:

Is downloading images likely to affect the genres and the album artist metadata?

No, it shouldn't.

sjkiss

So this did not work for me: When I import the media, I get all these genres that are listed as numbers. I was able to clear up a couple by opening the affected files in MusicBrainz and finding some odd fields. For some, there was a second genre field, for others the problem was an itunes comment field. But I know all of these have clear genre fields that pose no problems in other music players. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 2.39.54 PM.png

Luke

Hi, are you sure your audio files aren't tagged with these numbers as genres?

sjkiss

I'm quite certain not. I did find that a few tracks had a second genre field that doesn't appear in Swinsian, but appears to be responsible for Emby using that as a genre. But most of these tracks don't ahve that, so I'm not sure where these numbers are coming from. 

Luke
1 hour ago, sjkiss said:

I'm quite certain not. I did find that a few tracks had a second genre field that doesn't appear in Swinsian, but appears to be responsible for Emby using that as a genre. But most of these tracks don't ahve that, so I'm not sure where these numbers are coming from. 

Can you provide some sample tracks for testing? You can zip them up and PM me a link to them. .Thanks !

sjkiss
On 7/24/2020 at 3:55 PM, Luke said:

Can you provide some sample tracks for testing? You can zip them up and PM me a link to them. .Thanks !

Done: please see your pms.

Luke

As it turns out, the genres embedded in your tracks are in fact just numbers:

So we are just showing you what is embedded.

Untitled.png

sjkiss

Huh. OK, then why are they showing up as text in Swinsian? And not all my tracks are appear like this? What would be the difference? Is there an automated way you k now of to convert them? I can actually fix this quite quickly in Emby, so it's not a big deal, but I'm more curious about how all of this is working. 

Luke

why are they showing up as text in Swinsian

Where is that happening?

sjkiss

You shouldn't waste too much time on this; I can quickly change the metadata in Emby. But somehow, for some tracks, the genres are encoded as numbers, which Swinsian is able to read and display as text. But for other tracks, the genres are encoded as actual text, which Emby interprets as text. 

696390780_ScreenShot2020-07-30at2_27_18PM.thumb.png.c4e4ae568dd69a01c2c47aa5fb92cc06.png

Luke

OK Swinsian is an app. Yes there is a standard that says if genres are numbers then they should map to certain values, so that's where Swinsian is getting this from.

But this is very obscure and we stopped doing this after users complained that they wanted their embedded genres left as-is. Where did you get these audio files from?

sjkiss

OK, thanks for the information. These audio files were ripped from my own discs, either with iTunes as the ripper or DBPOweramp. I've been using a mix of software to edit the metadata (Swinsian, Picard, mostly). I can clear this up in Emby quite quickly.. Thanks for the explanation.

Luke

Can you find out what program ripped those tracks?

sjkiss

Probably not, frankly. If I had to wager, it would almost certainly be iTunes. I've had these tracks ripped for a long time and I only stopped using iTunes in the last couple of years. 

Luke

Hmm. I wonder if iTunes still rips like that.