Allow subtitle extraction on the fly

crusher11

crusher11

What exactly is this setting supposed to be doing? All my subtitled videos get re-encoded for my LG TV due to the subtitle format; I was under the impression this setting was designed to avoid that.

It's particularly relevant in the case of UHDs, as the transcode strips the HDR (and kills my NAS).

PenkethBoy

"Embedded subtitles can be extracted from videos and delivered to Emby apps in plain text in order to help prevent video transcoding. On some systems, this can take a long time and cause video playback to stall during the extraction process. Disable this to have embedded subtitles burned in with video transcoding when they are not natively supported by the client device."

what subtitle format?

no server log and no ffmpeg log

If you dont provide information then dont expect an answer

For the example you gave, that option will have no effect.  That title has graphic subtitles (PGS).  The extraction is only performed on text based subs and, increasingly, isn't needed anymore because we have more efficient ways of delivering them now.

6 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

So I can't watch those movies in HDR at all?

Yes, you can with the right combination of settings and/or equipment and/or subtitle formats.  You probably cannot on the LG app if you have to use those subtitles (you could obtain text-based external ones though).

Happy2Play

You would have Emby attempt to download external subtitles or you manually add external subtitles. 

pwhodges

Or you extract them from the video yourself (the program SubTitle Edit will do a decent OCR on graphical titles).

Paul

crusher11

Emby fails to find any English subtitles at all for Mission: Impossible. Open Subtitles, if I go to their website, has plenty.

My username and password are set up in the Open Subtitles plugin.

5 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Emby fails to find any English subtitles at all for Mission: Impossible. Open Subtitles, if I go to their website, has plenty.

My username and password are set up in the Open Subtitles plugin.

It does not. It downloads subtitles just fine, but the download criteria that you specify may be restricting the available results:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001848856-manual-subtitle-downloads

@cayars

Can you manually download a subtitle for any other movie?

Hi.  We are trying very hard to help you but you are not giving us much information to go on.

Can you please describe exactly what you are doing and what is happening and then provide a server log from when you did those tasks?

How to Report a Problem

crusher11

I'm not always at my computer, and I'd rather provide some information than no information.

When I click on "Edit Subtitles", I get a dialog with a language dropdown and two checkboxes - one to require a hash match, one to search only forced subs. I unchecked both, and selected English. I hit "search", it said no results found. Happened for every film I tried it on, and there were a few of them. Mission: Impossible being the main one, and that's the one I looked up on the Open Subtitles site to see what they had and there are plenty of subs available.

And as I said above, my username and password are entered into the plugin page.

Try going to the website and login with your credentials and make sure they are working.  Then go back to the plugin and retype them.

It sounds like bad credentials.

After doing this try Mission Impossible again and if it fails upload the most current server log file.

rbjtech

If I do the same - I get 30+ subtitles to choose from... (only 2 show below but just scroll down and pick the one that suites)

I believe it is your credentials or ability to use the site that is the issue.  Note if you have already downloaded lots, there is a hard limit per day on guest accounts but the logs will show this.

Capture.PNG

Edited by rbjtech

crusher11

Credentials are fine; they're in a password manager and I'm able to log in to the website.

2 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

they're in a password manager

Not sure that will mean anything to the plug-in configuration... but can you please post a log from when you attempted one of these searches and tell us when that was?

Thanks.

crusher11

This seems like the relevant part of the log, let me know if you need the whole thing:

2020-07-03 03:58:35.296 Error SubtitleManager: Error downloading subtitles from Open Subtitles
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.5.0.13
	Command line: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/server/EmbyServer.exe -package synology -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffprobe -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffdetect -restartexitcode 121
	Operating system: Unix 4.4.59.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: False
	Mono: 6.8.0.105 (tarball Sat Mar 28 20:34:48 UTC 2020)
	Runtime: file:///volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/3rdparty/mono/6.8.0.105/lib/mono/4.5/mscorlib.dll
	System.Environment.Version: 4.0.30319.42000
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var
	Application directory: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/releases/4.5.0.13-beta
	MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: Error: TrustFailure (Authentication failed, see inner exception.)
	  at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal (MediaBrowser.Common.Net.HttpRequestOptions options, System.String httpMethod) [0x00353] in <a638959fee2840beba7724b9a9562cfd>:0 
	  at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.SendAsync (MediaBrowser.Common.Net.HttpRequestOptions options, System.String httpMethod) [0x0009e] in <a638959fee2840beba7724b9a9562cfd>:0 
	  at OpenSubtitles.OpenSubtitleDownloader.SendRequestAsync (System.ReadOnlyMemory`1[T] request, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x001e3] in <900e3693d478456c8b7c4e4b8dd2d54e>:0 
	  at OpenSubtitles.OpenSubtitleDownloader.Login (System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x000e7] in <900e3693d478456c8b7c4e4b8dd2d54e>:0 
	  at OpenSubtitles.OpenSubtitleDownloader.Search (MediaBrowser.Controller.Subtitles.SubtitleSearchRequest request, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00124] in <900e3693d478456c8b7c4e4b8dd2d54e>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Providers.Subtitles.SubtitleManager+<>c__DisplayClass17_0.<SearchSubtitles>b__3 (MediaBrowser.Controller.Subtitles.ISubtitleProvider i) [0x00086] in <11ee3b3dd80044a393c58bb2517b79b7>:0 
	Source: mscorlib
	TargetSite: Void Throw()

Your log snipet says "Authentication failed" usually meaning the userid/password entered in the plugin is wrong.

crusher11

It was copied directly from my password manager so I don't see how it could be.