Playback errors

Twixter

Twixter

I've been using emby premiere for about 2 weeks right now and when it works it really is amazing, the library it created looks great and you have so many options at your disposal but for the majority of the time when i'm trying to watch something on emby i keep getting playback errors.

I have this error on all my devices :

Nvidea shield

Surface pro 3

Windows 10 pc (also what the server runs on)

Specs:

i7-6700K @ 4.00GHZ

48GB Memory

Nvidea GTX 1070

500 mbps internet

The issue happens at random and also when the library isn't scanning

I do have 1 other issue i'm not sure if it's related to the other issue or not but it can take really long for a serie or movie to load up, it usually takes at least 20 seconds for something to play and sometimes up to 1-3 minutes. 

Any help is appreciated. 

emby1.png

embyserver-63728985602.txt

Hi.  I see a ton of file system issues in that log (directories not found).  Are you sure that everything you've pointed Emby to is actually where you said it is and available?

Twixter
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I see a ton of file system issues in that log (directories not found).  Are you sure that everything you've pointed Emby to is actually where you said it is and available?

I have been renaming a lot of my media files but for 1 of my librarys (out of 6) i renamed the entire library and then removed it and scanned it from scratch but that library is also affected by the same issues.

Seems everything on the "Z" drive is inaccessible.  What kind of drive is that?  If it is a mapped network drive, don't use that - use a UNC path instead.

There are quite a lot of errors in the log file trying to access drive Z as ebr mentioned.

What we see time and time again is that PlexDrive and Rclone have a lot of issues of this type which is why we don't officially support Gdrive use for main storage in this fashion.

Google has a lot of algorithms that can change the ability to read or even see files as it limits your access.  What I'd suggest is ultimately not to use Gdrive for main storage as it's always going to be semi-problematic in this regard.

However, was I can suggest you try that will have far less issues if running on Windows is to try a program like ExpanDrive.  This will work a lot better because it can cache the directory structure and save a lot of I/O that causes the Google timeouts.

Other than that it's best to use Internal, USB External, or LAN mapped drives from another computer or NAS but all being on the local LAN so it's fully available 100% of the time.

4 hours ago, Twixter said:

I have been renaming a lot of my media files

Did you run a library scan after doing that?

Twixter
2 hours ago, cayars said:

There are quite a lot of errors in the log file trying to access drive Z as ebr mentioned.

What we see time and time again is that PlexDrive and Rclone have a lot of issues of this type which is why we don't officially support Gdrive use for main storage in this fashion.

Google has a lot of algorithms that can change the ability to read or even see files as it limits your access.  What I'd suggest is ultimately not to use Gdrive for main storage as it's always going to be semi-problematic in this regard.

However, was I can suggest you try that will have far less issues if running on Windows is to try a program like ExpanDrive.  This will work a lot better because it can cache the directory structure and save a lot of I/O that causes the Google timeouts.

Other than that it's best to use Internal, USB External, or LAN mapped drives from another computer or NAS but all being on the local LAN so it's fully available 100% of the time.

Thanks for the informative respond, I do eventually wanna get local storage for all my media but not anytime soon.

I will have a look at expandrive and see if that can help me forward.

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you run a library scan after doing that?

I'm almost always running the library scans but I've finished renaming my entire movie library after that I completed removed that library from emby and re scanned it from scratch and has finished scanning for some days now but that movie library is having the same issues as the others.

Does the mounted drive get disconnected after a period of time? That would explain the access errors on the F: drive in the server log.

Twixter
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Does the mounted drive get disconnected after a period of time? That would explain the access errors on the F: drive in the server log.

The mounted Gdrive never really disconnects for me it will stay connected on multiple devices for a month np.

The last 2-3 days i've not noticed any errors on emby i've watched about 8-12 hours without errors.

Currently 4 out of my 7 librarys are finished Renaming,  2 librarys i deleted are re scanning and the other 1 i'm renaming right now.

I'm avoiding the librarys that are getting edited or are doing they're first scan, i did this before as well but that did not avoid the error.

The problem with gdrives isn't that they disconnect but that Google will time you out due to activity.

So you can see files but can't access them which is what causes Emby problems because it can't access what it sees.

Twixter
15 minutes ago, cayars said:

The problem with gdrives isn't that they disconnect but that Google will time you out due to activity.

So you can see files but can't access them which is what causes Emby problems because it can't access what it sees.

I've watched media of my gdrive for 3+ months now without any playback issues and the loading time is pretty much the same depending on the size/format.

Shouldn't i have experienced some sort of playback issues with the mounted drive as well then or am i missing something?

All depends.

Things like size/amount of files, if you have Emby write NFO/metadata to directories, how many users are accessing your Emby system, etc..

A lightly used system with not a lot of files will be far easier then when you start getting into the 10+ TB range with multiple users on your system.

Also depends on if you use just one Google Account or have things spread over 5 accounts or so.

Twixter
57 minutes ago, cayars said:

All depends.

Things like size/amount of files, if you have Emby write NFO/metadata to directories, how many users are accessing your Emby system, etc..

A lightly used system with not a lot of files will be far easier then when you start getting into the 10+ TB range with multiple users on your system.

Also depends on if you use just one Google Account or have things spread over 5 accounts or so.

- 7 Librarys in total

- 20 TB for all librarys

- 1 google account 

- NFO/Metadata is in the directories

- 85%+ of the library is HEVC

- Around 3% is 4K HEVC

- Server is on: W10 I7 6700k CPU @4GHZ

Ram 48GB

Nvidea GTX 1070

- 500 mbps internet connection

- 2 users max at all times streaming on local network streaming Mostly 1080 HEVC or 1080 h264 or lower

Edited by Twixter

Twixter

It has helped me figure out where the problem is.

The playback error issue is coming from Google and has to do with API I assume, when I get this playback error at emby now I'm also unable to play anything from my mounted drive unlike before.

My Gdrive does stay connected all the time it just stops playing anything after watching a for a while, both of the 2 streams will stop simultaneously so it seems to be a quota issue.

My API shows it's not being used on GD API dashboard so I just need to figure that out and my problems should be solved.