Playback fails to start: No compatible streams available

paddy-emby

paddy-emby

Samsung model: QE75Q7FNA
Samsung software: T-KTM2DEUC-1294.1, BT-S
Emby client: 1.0.77
Emby Server: 4.4.3.0 (Official docker image | 8 core AMD FX CPU | 8GB RAM | 96GB SSD | NVidia Quadro P620)
Connection: TV connected via CAT5E to Gigabit switch/server

I've had this issue on and off for a few weeks but I always put it down to the previous low spec server I was running. Last week I upgraded to my new server and everything worked flawlessly - SD, HD and 4K content would stream and transcode without issue.

This evening however this issue has returned. Selecting any file results in the rainbow wheel spinning (for a minute?) then the error message on the screen: "Playback Error: No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details"

If I try on any of the other devices in the house using the official Emby apps (2 ancient Android phones, 3 PCs and 3 Roku sticks) playback works flawlessly, it's just the Samsung TV that has issues.

I've tried with both HD content, and SD content. Both result in the same error.

Previous times I've had this error, the file that has failed to play has appeared in the Home screen under "Continue watching". It's as if the server starts playing, but the Samsung app doesn't connect to the stream.

Thanks

edit: I tried again with debug logging enabled, it failed on both files with the same error - additional logs attachedembyserver_debug.txt

embyserver.txt

HD.PNG

SD.PNG

Edited by paddy-emby

SamES

Nothing obvious, but just two observations:

1. You appear to have a bitrate limit of 80000000 (80Mbit/sec) set.  This shouldn't be a problem, but just raising it in case you weren't aware that it is set
  2. The playback of Knives Out in the debug log appears to be requesting the TrueHD track.  This should be causing the audio to be converted as TrueHD is not supported, but it looks like it's trying to DirectPlay without conversion, which is incorrect.  We need to work out why this is happening.

Can you try playing Knives Out and selecting the AC3 track from the details screen before playback?

I can't see any reason why Early Man doesn't play

Can you check that the playback quality is set to Auto in the client.  You might have to start playback of something else that does work so that you can check that it is set to auto, then try one of these titles again.

• Thanks 1

paddy-emby
2 hours ago, SamES said:
  1. You appear to have a bitrate limit of 80000000 (80Mbit/sec) set.  This shouldn't be a problem, but just raising it in case you weren't aware that it is set

That was set following some earlier experimenting with playback of 4k HVEC & PGS forced subtitles. The previously working (without subtitles) 55Mbps stream would be transcoded into a 110Mbps H.264 stream, and exceed the limit of the TV (from here) causing freezes and juddering. I'll remove it during the testing for this issue.

2 hours ago, SamES said:
  2. The playback of Knives Out in the debug log appears to be requesting the TrueHD track.  This should be causing the audio to be converted as TrueHD is not supported, but it looks like it's trying to DirectPlay without conversion, which is incorrect.  We need to work out why this is happening.

Do you have a list of supported formats for Samsung TV, I found this but Tizen isn't listed.?

2 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you try playing Knives Out and selecting the AC3 track from the details screen before playback?

I can't see any reason why Early Man doesn't play

Can you check that the playback quality is set to Auto in the client.  You might have to start playback of something else that does work so that you can check that it is set to auto, then try one of these titles again.

In the Samsung App, under Settings > Playback > Video Quality the Home network quality = "4k - 80 Mbps" (as you identified) Internet quality = Auto.  The server is configured to Auto Quality for both Home network (Internet quality is not listed).

I tried Knives Out in the following order

1. With the TrueHD audio again - same issue.
  2. Then with the AC3 track - same issue (I then put the logs into Debug)
  3. Then the AC3 track again - same issue
  4. Then with the DTS-MD 7.1 track - same issue

In the Samsung App I then set (under Settings > Playback > Video Quality) the Home network quality = "Auto" , Internet quality = Auto

Then tried Knives Out again in the following order

2. Then the AC3 track again - same issue
  3. Then with the DTS-MD 7.1 track - same issue

I tried:

1. Early Man - same issue.
  2. Goldeneye (very similar to Early Man) - same issue.
  3. Quantum of Solace (different audio type?) - same issue
  4. Spectre (different audio again?) - same issue

I then tried

1. Playing the trailer for Spectre just to get some video data streaming - that worked, played via a youtube link/app?
  2. Spectre again.... same issue
  3. Bourne Identity (different video codec) - same issue

All Emby server logs attached (I found a hard_detection log from overnight, don't know if that's useful?). There were no transcoding logs listed from this testing.

If you want some logs/info from the hosting server you're welcome.

Goldeneye.PNG

QuantumOfSolace.png

BourneIdentity.png

hardware_detection-63729141506.txt embyserver.txt

FrostByte

Video and audio support changes from year to year and can also differ between premium and standard sets.  The lists can be found on the Samsung developers website, but you should be able to find the same chart near the back of your users manual.

https://developer.samsung.com/smarttv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2018-tv-video-specifications.html

• Thanks 1

FrostByte

For the most part the app should align with those charts.  For instance in 2018 Samsung dropped DTS support, so when the app detects the Tizen version to be greater or equal to 4.0 then Emby convert DTS when played to AC3. 

Sometimes those charts can be off though.  For instance firmware changes to 2020 Premium and 2019 8K TVs are supposed to add TrueHD support which isn't indicated in the chart yet 

• Thanks 1

SamES
10 hours ago, paddy-emby said:

That was set following some earlier experimenting with playback of 4k HVEC & PGS forced subtitles. The previously working (without subtitles) 55Mbps stream would be transcoded into a 110Mbps H.264 stream, and exceed the limit of the TV (from here) causing freezes and juddering. I'll remove it during the testing for this issue.

Do you have a list of supported formats for Samsung TV, I found this but Tizen isn't listed.?

In the Samsung App, under Settings > Playback > Video Quality the Home network quality = "4k - 80 Mbps" (as you identified) Internet quality = Auto.  The server is configured to Auto Quality for both Home network (Internet quality is not listed).

I tried Knives Out in the following order

2. Then with the AC3 track - same issue (I then put the logs into Debug)
  3. Then the AC3 track again - same issue
  4. Then with the DTS-MD 7.1 track - same issue

In the Samsung App I then set (under Settings > Playback > Video Quality) the Home network quality = "Auto" , Internet quality = Auto

Then tried Knives Out again in the following order

2. Then the AC3 track again - same issue
  3. Then with the DTS-MD 7.1 track - same issue

I tried:

1. Early Man - same issue.
  2. Goldeneye (very similar to Early Man) - same issue.
  3. Quantum of Solace (different audio type?) - same issue
  4. Spectre (different audio again?) - same issue

I then tried

1. Playing the trailer for Spectre just to get some video data streaming - that worked, played via a youtube link/app?
  2. Spectre again.... same issue
  3. Bourne Identity (different video codec) - same issue

All Emby server logs attached (I found a hard_detection log from overnight, don't know if that's useful?). There were no transcoding logs listed from this testing.

If you want some logs/info from the hosting server you're welcome.

Goldeneye.PNG

QuantumOfSolace.png

BourneIdentity.png

hardware_detection-63729141506.txt 213.68 kB · 0 downloads embyserver.txt 29.2 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for this info.

There is definitely an issue though as:

• These should both play fine,
  • TrueHD and DTS audio should be being automatically converted and you should see ffmpeg logs

Can you try playing Knives out again, and on the TV, select 1080 in the quality setting to force the 4K video to transcode to 1080?  I want to make sure that ffmpeg is configured correctly

• Thanks 1

paddy-emby
6 hours ago, SamES said:

Thanks for this info.

There is definitely an issue though as:

• These should both play fine,
  • TrueHD and DTS audio should be being automatically converted and you should see ffmpeg logs

Can you try playing Knives out again, and on the TV, select 1080 in the quality setting to force the 4K video to transcode to 1080?  I want to make sure that ffmpeg is configured correctly

Knvies Out is only 1080p, and just over 30Kbps, I'll experiment with forcing transcoding with different settings and files.

1. Set quality to 1080p - 20Mbps in the Samsung TV App
  2. Play Joker - 4K - With TrueHD7.1 sound - fails, same result - no transcoding logs
  3. Play Joker - 4K - with AC3 5.1 audio - fails, same result - no transcoding logs
  4. Play Knives Out - 1080p with AC3 audio - fails, same result - no transcoding logs

I then tried the same on my OnePlus2 Android phone using the Emby App (3.1.23) - home network quality was also set to 1080p - 20Mbps (Internet and Chromecast quality left on Auto)

1. Play Joker - 4K with TrueHD7.1 sound - works, transcodes due to "Media bitrate exceeds limit". Transcodes into H264/AC3 at 145 fps
  2. Play Knives Out - 1080p with TrueHD7.1 audio - works, transcodes due to "Media bitrate exceeds limit". Transcodes into H264/AC3 at 309 fps

Back on the TV

1. Set Home network quality to 1080P - 10Mbps
  2. Try Knives Out - TrueHD7.1 - fails, same result
  3. Set Internet quality to 1080P - 10 Mpbs
  4. Try Knives Out - TrueHD7.1 - fails same result

Debug logs attached.

Joker.png

ffmpeg-transcode-3e501308-02e9-477e-b3c2-5f28a12d600d_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-7b682f26-61d4-439a-afd4-974059f8bd89_1.txt embyserver(1).txt

SamES

This is very unusual, I can't think why all transcoding requests from just this client would fail.

Can you try uninstalling the app from the TV, then remove power from the TV to force it to do a full reboot, then install the latest USB version and try again.

paddy-emby

No success I'm afraid.

1. Deleted the existing app. Turned off the TV (long press on the remote). Turned the TV off at the wall for 15 minutes.
  2. Loaded via USB the latest version of the app: 1.0.80.
  3. Connected and logged in as my normal user
  4. Tried Knives Out - TrueHD - errors
  5. (enabled debug logging)
  6. Tried Knives Out - AC3 5.1 - errors
  7. Set Home network playback quality to 20Mbps
  8. Tried Knives Out - AC3 5.1 - errors - no transcoding logs
  9. Tried resuming the Matrix, which I had part watched last night on my phone, - errors

Is there any trace logging I can enable behind the scenes on the server, or any dev specific builds of the app I canUSB load with extra logging enabled?

Logs attached

Matrix.png

embyserver(2).txt

paddy-emby

Tried some more things (logging in debug, local network quality set to 20Mbps):

1. Early Man - failed
  2. Restart Emby Server from the web dashboard
  3. Early Man - failed
  4. Shutdown Emby Server from the web dashboard - it's running in docker so it immediately restarts:
    image.thumb.png.c36a15e254618bbd59a44e00c44db18e.png
  5. Early Man - failed
  6. Restart the docker container externally:
    image.png.24d0c195ba9c55af2aff487b860b24c9.png
  7. Early Man - failed
  8. Swap from wired internet to wireless on the Samsung TV config
  9. Early Man - failed
  10. Restart the host Lubuntu VM Emby docker is running inside
    image.png.5f76a2bf6d498c49fd1279b4526479ce.png
  11. Early Man - WORKED
  12. Knives Out (TrueHD7.1) - WORKED- transcoding at 263 fps to H264/AC3 due to "Media bitrate exceeded"
  13. Swap back to wired internet connection on the Samsung TV config
  14. Set local network quality to Auto
  15. Knives Out (TrueHD7.1) - WORKED - direct play - H264/AC3 streaming at 30Mbps
  16. Joker (4k HVEC) - WORKED - direct play - HEVC/AC3 streaming at 59 Mbps

So restarting the server Emby docker was running inside got it working again.

I suspect this isn't a permanent solution, since when I created the server it worked for a week then I hit these issues.

If there are some further diagnostics to investigate I am willing to try them.

I'll update here if (when...) I hit this problem again!

All debug logs from this evenings testing are attached.

embyserver(3).txt hardware_detection-63729314351.txt embyserver-63729314338.txt embyserver-63729314172.txt hardware_detection-63729314180.txt

Edited by paddy-emby

SamES

Thanks for the feedback.  It sounds like you've got a path to explore if this happens again.

CTPAHHIK

Hello,

QE65Q7FNATXZG here. Assuming identical TV, but 65" version
Software Version: 1294
Emby 1.0.80
Emby Server on Windows 10 1809 LTSC

All Transcoding Disabled:

• No issues with video playback - 4K x264, x265
  • Sound: AAC - all channels - good. DTS - no sound. EAC3 6CH - works. Don't have anything in TrueHD.
  • Subtitles: SUBRIP works, DVDSUB - not working, PGSSUB - not working.

All transcoding, except video is enabled:

• Sound: AAC - all channels - good. DTS - direct stream transcoding - working. Don't have anything in TrueHD.
  • Subtitles: SUBRIP works, DVDSUB - direct stream transcoding - no subtitles, PGSSUB - direct stream transcoding - no subtitles.

No issues with video playback, no errors (I did not check logs), subtitles are displaying or not as described above.

I verified all videos in Kodi running on Fire TV Stick 4K and everything works without any transcoding.

Seeing video artifacts with bitrates above 6,000 kbps. This could be related to TV and nothing to do with Emby. Example:
Title
4K HEVC
Codec HEVC
Profile Main 10
Level 150
Resolution 3840x1600
Aspect Ratio 2.40:1
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.976
Bitrate 6,495 kbps

Probably has to do with encoding flags. This one plays flawlessly:
Title 4K HEVC
Codec HEVC
Profile Main 10
Level 150
Resolution 3840x1600
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.976
Bitrate 20,139 kbps
Video Range HDR
Color Primaries bt2020
Color Space bt2020nc
Color Transfer smpte2084
Pixel Format yuv420p10le
Reference Frames 1
Pixel Format yuv420p10le
Reference Frames 1
Edited by CTPAHHIK

7 hours ago, CTPAHHIK said:

Hello,

QE65Q7FNATXZG here. Assuming identical TV, but 65" version
Software Version: 1294
Emby 1.0.80
Emby Server on Windows 10 1809 LTSC

• Sound: AAC - all channels - good. DTS - no sound. EAC3 6CH - works. Don't have anything in TrueHD.

All transcoding, except video is enabled:

• Sound: AAC - all channels - good. DTS - direct stream transcoding - working. Don't have anything in TrueHD.
  • Subtitles: SUBRIP works, DVDSUB - direct stream transcoding - no subtitles, PGSSUB - direct stream transcoding - no subtitles.

No issues with video playback, no errors (I did not check logs), subtitles are displaying or not as described above.

I verified all videos in Kodi running on Fire TV Stick 4K and everything works without any transcoding.

Seeing video artifacts with bitrates above 6,000 kbps. This could be related to TV and nothing to do with Emby. Example:
Title
4K HEVC
Codec HEVC
Profile Main 10
Level 150
Resolution 3840x1600
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.976
Bitrate 6,495 kbps

Probably has to do with encoding flags. This one plays flawlessly:
Title 4K HEVC
Codec HEVC
Profile Main 10
Level 150
Resolution 3840x1600
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.976
Bitrate 20,139 kbps
Video Range HDR
Color Primaries bt2020
Color Space bt2020nc
Color Transfer smpte2084
Pixel Format yuv420p10le
Reference Frames 1
Pixel Format yuv420p10le
Reference Frames 1

So you're not getting a no compatible streams error?

CTPAHHIK
7 hours ago, Luke said:

So you're not getting a no compatible streams error?

Correct, I get no errors at all. Video always works without issues.
There is audio/no audio (based on user transcoding configuration) and subtitles do not display.

Last time I've seen "no compatible streams error" was when playing around with browser playback. I do not remember exactly, but it was related to subtitles.
Suggest trying to play videos again with subtitles switched off.

Edited by CTPAHHIK

That is all expected behavior based on that the device supports.

paddy-emby

An update just more my records mainly. Went to play something this evening and the error has returned.

Rebooting the host VM fixed the issue again

Going to start keeping a diary of days I do/don't want content via the Samsung TV, see if there is a pattern of any sort.

32 minutes ago, paddy-emby said:

An update just more my records mainly. Went to play something this evening and the error has returned.

Rebooting the host VM fixed the issue again

Going to start keeping a diary of days I do/don't want content via the Samsung TV, see if there is a pattern of any sort.

Can we please look at the example? Thanks.

paddy-emby

I don't think there'll be anything extra in the logs beyond what I've already provided above.

However the next time it happens I'll get some more and post them here.

• 2 weeks later...
paddy-emby

Went to Emby on the Samsung TV this evening and the error has returned.

Logs attached. No transcoding triggered.

Edit: Rebooting Emby servers VM brought it back to life.

Media info:

image.thumb.png.400f678e32e16ee0d53f6829b58733f5.png

image.thumb.png.c1b26ecca7e67a16cd0e33735f4e4d9b.png

embyserver(4).txt

Edited by paddy-emby

SamES

So do you have an estimate of how long after the VM has booted until this problem occur?  Is it about 10-14 days. Is this time consistent, or is it variable?

It sounds like something is up with the networking on your docker image. 

paddy-emby

On 7/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, SamES said:

So do you have an estimate of how long after the VM has booted until this problem occur?  Is it about 10-14 days. Is this time consistent, or is it variable?

It sounds like something is up with the networking on your docker image. 

@SamES It looks like the Samsung TV had 13 days between issues. My gut feeling is that the total time between reboots (13 days) is more important than the time from when the Samsung TV was last used (probably 48 hours).

• Across all clients in the house the Emby server is used daily.
  • The Emby server is on a static IP and all clients access it via domain name.
  • The docker image is the official Emby one.
  • When the Samsung TV has this issue, all the other clients still work without issue.

I will go through the other logs and see what I find regarding timescales.

Do you have any suggestions for good log parsing apps?