Download of >7k songs to phone takes days, Emby regularly killed by iOS

Hi,

my goal is to have my music available on my media server at home and synced to my iPhone 8 for offline access on the go. No movies, just music. So far, I used Plex for that but was unimpressed by their app's performance lately (UI hanging for multiple seconds) and direction of development (recommending my own music to myself).

Therefore I got myself a month of Emby Premiere and tried the same use case. Downloading a single artist with 3 albums went smoothly as expected. Then I told Emby to download my entire library of 7284 songs to the phone. Well. I kept the screen on the entire evening yesterday and most of today morning. The task still sits at "Transferring 17.7%" and progresses very occasionally. At the same time, the phone's battery is drained very quickly and the Emby app is frequently killed by iOS.

Symptoms:

• Music playing in Emby stops after a few minutes while the screen is off
  • If I let the screen turn off with the Emby app open and unlock my phone again after a few minutes, it comes up with the home screen instead of the Emby app where I left off.

It seems like something in the chain is unable to cope with the amount of files. I am aware that this is a non-trivial task, so can I help to improve the situation with some logs or so?

The iPhone has ~150 GB of free storage.
Wifi speed shouldn't be an issue - my Macbook reports at least 260 MB/s Tx rate at the location where my phone was most of the time.

lightsout

I love emby but music is not it's strong suit. Why not just transfer all the music to your phone and listen with the stock music app. Or another app geared towards local music?

That's because I would need to keep all my music on my daily computer, too, and keep both the iTunes library *and* Plex/Emby well sorted. That goes towards the exact opposite direction I initially set up a media server for.

NitroNine

Somebody developed an Android only music player for jellyfin, maybe it can be forked for Emby on iOS too?

daedalus
19 minutes ago, NitroNine said:

Somebody developed an Android only music player for jellyfin, maybe it can be forked for Emby on iOS too?

i'd rather see a proper implementation, then again a seperate app for every media type

and if there's seperate app needed, this topic also seems not the have a priority in the jellyfin world either, so we sadly seem to be all in the same boat

• 4 months later...

Hi @tanuva

It seems like something in the chain is unable to cope with the amount of files. 

Are you still seeing this with Emby for iOS 1.9.9? Thanks.