Themes AndroidTV/FireTV

Dlarge

CBers
54 minutes ago, RS43 said:

I believe the discussion ends here because it seems that the design team of Emby does not acknowledge their design is way behind competitors. 

Which competitors? The Plex ATV app is horrid and nowhere near as nice as the Emby ATV app and don't even get me started on the JellyFin one 🙄

I wouldn't class Kodi as a competitor, as the Kodi/Emby users are relying on the Emby backend, so they can do what they like with their skins. The actual Kodi setup is far too complex and there's too much tinkering that's possible. Yes some skins looks good, but overall, the Emby ATV app is a happy medium. Can it be improved, of course, but it has evolved a helluva lot over the last 7 years. 

Edited by CBers
  • Like 2

The discussion does not end here. We're happy to work together with you to continue to improve the software.

Just now, Luke said:

@rs43 can you give more specifics about what you feel is behind? Thanks.

Hi Luke,

I can repeat the same things in this discussion but I think it is sufficient to refer to previous comments from other Emby users in this topic and ebr's comments on this.

The spacing in general does not feel correct as outlined couple of threats above. 

Just compare Emby ATV with Plex and you will feel and see the difference in design, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT FUNCTIONALITY, just the consistency in design through the whole app. As said before if Emby team does not acknowledge this, then no point to ask Emby users to elaborate or give more details. 

99% of people would say Ronaldo is much better looking than Messi (Design), but they are both doing the same (functionality). In this case Emby is Messi and Plex Ronaldo ;) but you still would say Messi is still looking good

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CBers said:

Which competitors? The Plex ATV app is horrid and nowhere near as nice as the Emby ATV app and don't even get me started on the JellyFin one 🙄

I wouldn't class Kodi as a competitor, as the Kodi/Emby users are relying on the Emby backend, so they can do what they like with their skins. The actual Kodi setup is far too complex and there's too much tinkering that's possible. Yes some skins looks good, but overall, the Emby ATV app is a happy medium. Can it be improved, of course, but it has evolved a helluva lot over the last 7 years. 

Did you check the new beta Plex for Xbox? Looks very clean. 

You have always persons thinking Rover model 75 car is same as a Jaguar.. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luke said:

The discussion does not end here. We're happy to work together with you to continue to improve the software.

Well I think Emby team does get very defensive when having a discussion regarding design.. we are just mentioning couple of estitica improvements, just to have a better experience and not by insulting you as we all know everyone works hard for their money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RS43 said:

Well I think Emby team does get very defensive when having a discussion regarding design.. we are just mentioning couple of estitica improvements, just to have a better experience and not by insulting you as we all know everyone works hard for their money.

Sorry, if you feel it is defensive - that is not intended.  We are simply trying to explain why things are the way they are.

Some general refinements can definitely be made but I want to be clear that the detail screens are how they are for very specific reasons.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think it's so much about the info on the pages but subtle things like not aligning if you put a grid over it like with the red borders which show how some things are too far right or things that should be flush left or flush right aren't. Think "snap to grid".

That and if you saved the position of things on one page in movies but then went to TV Shows it's different yet, then music is yet again different.  It's not consistent in position when it can be for different parts of the clients.  Obviously different parts of the system have different needs but some things should be the same but aren't.

That's my interpretation of what was said.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 7:05 PM, pünktchen said:

Are you talking to me? Here's one example:

Could you take your "red box" picture and cut and move the sections best you can (don't worry about the backdrop having white spots from moving things) to show what it could look like vs current? Actually the "white spots" would be a good indication of how far each item was moved for alignment.

Dlarge

Good Morning all. Unfortunately I do not see any progress in this thread and therefore I will now try one last time to summarize a few things that could be improved.

Then it's over and I'll sit in front of my Kodi with Aura Skin and a modern Design.

1. same themes as on the web and windows app

2. Classic and Dark Theme look the same, you should only modernize the Dark Theme

3. Improve the arrangement of the information in detail pages

4. Renew graphics of buttons and logos, for example from de Web / Win Versin - look very good

5. a switchable overlay or Vignette to darken the background if you want to in Movie and Series und Music Overview

• Like 1

CBers
9 hours ago, RS43 said:

Just compare Emby ATV with Plex and you will feel and see the difference in design

😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

CBers

OK, comparisons between Emby ATV app and Plex ATV app.

Home Screen (Emby)

Emby_20200806_085932.png.13cba9dc5848908a7cd2d62524d480cd.png

Home Screen (Plex)

Plex_20200806_090148.png.19c1f3fc8b80a6cda3bfbb26bb0480db.png

TV Library (Emby)

Emby_20200806_085947.png.8d7d70453db3f42ace5c38e64d3cac67.png

TV Library (Plex)

Plex_20200806_090213.png.7d65f8492b7c310f0d84539dc216f9e6.png

TV Show (Emby)

Emby_20200806_090002.png.fabaf9e5f75d8398319ca2dcee3f8791.png

TV Show (Plex)

Plex_20200806_090223.png.65f05cf3ab6de7b24b2535a0b7346165.png

Episode (Emby)
Emby_20200806_090015.png.7f1fcefdf798abda438e618e0200a6b6.png

Episode (Plex)

Plex_20200806_090234.png.f18b1be6cff29f04f58643b5b74fee94.png

Movie Library (Emby)
Emby_20200806_090029.png.d9025566e3a77c8eabe7592b0d2c27bd.png

Movie Library (Plex)
Plex_20200806_090301.png.cdf7ecc3be62abb3960ba421491dbfc2.png

Movie Details (Emby)

Emby_20200806_090101.png.6573fd76a4748a7f7c995ce4dce5c616.png

Movie Details (Plex)

Plex_20200806_090317.png.97ea8923f9d162b2b716c75bf2515f34.png

Both Emby and Plex point at the same libraries on my server.

Edited by CBers

Dlarge

You're drifting off the topic here. It's not about who has the most information, etc.

It's just about designing and improving the views and themes.

CBers
20 minutes ago, Dlarge said:

You're drifting off the topic here. It's not about who has the most information, etc.

It's just about designing and improving the views and themes.

You said to look at the Plex ATV app, so I posted comparisons. 

As you can see, the Emby ATV app is inordinately better looking than the Plex version. 

Yes there could be some tweaks made to the Emby ATV app to line stuff up, but it's only minor. 

And as an aside, the Emby ATV app is still far superior to the Emby mobile app running on an Android TV device (Shield). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CBers said:

OK, comparisons between Emby ATV app and Plex ATV app.

Home Screen (Emby)

Emby_20200806_085932.png.13cba9dc5848908a7cd2d62524d480cd.png

Home Screen (Plex)

Plex_20200806_090148.png.19c1f3fc8b80a6cda3bfbb26bb0480db.png

TV Library (Emby)

Emby_20200806_085947.png.8d7d70453db3f42ace5c38e64d3cac67.png

TV Library (Plex)

Plex_20200806_090213.png.7d65f8492b7c310f0d84539dc216f9e6.png

TV Show (Emby)

Emby_20200806_090002.png.fabaf9e5f75d8398319ca2dcee3f8791.png

TV Show (Plex)

Plex_20200806_090223.png.65f05cf3ab6de7b24b2535a0b7346165.png

Episode (Emby)
Emby_20200806_090015.png.7f1fcefdf798abda438e618e0200a6b6.png

Episode (Plex)

Plex_20200806_090234.png.f18b1be6cff29f04f58643b5b74fee94.png

Movie Library (Emby)
Emby_20200806_090029.png.d9025566e3a77c8eabe7592b0d2c27bd.png

Movie Library (Plex)
Plex_20200806_090301.png.cdf7ecc3be62abb3960ba421491dbfc2.png

Movie Details (Emby)

Emby_20200806_090101.png.6573fd76a4748a7f7c995ce4dce5c616.png

Movie Details (Plex)

Plex_20200806_090317.png.97ea8923f9d162b2b716c75bf2515f34.png

Both Emby and Plex point at the same libraries on my server.

Did you check the early access of Plex app on Xbox? Man the whole feel of Plex feels more solid and consistent. I am not here to criticise Emby ATV but it is what it is. You are trying to turn Messi into Ronaldo as said before

CBers
7 minutes ago, RS43 said:

Did you check the early access of Plex app on Xbox? 

No, but I personally don't like any of the Plex apps, compared to Emby.

If I knew nothing about Emby, I would probably be using Kodi.

7 minutes ago, RS43 said:

I am not here to criticise Emby ATV but it is what it is.

And yet most people here seem to be.

9 minutes ago, RS43 said:

You are trying to turn Messi into Ronaldo as said before

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 1

Dlarge

I have 5 suggestions on one page.
What could be implemented there?

1.  The Green is horrible pls change this. look at the screen of me beforehand where I said which green one could take

2. Too much Infos and no centered - Titel & Year is ok, rest you can filtered and see this in Detailspage. centered on the left is only used for wide posters, just as a tip.😉

This is nice

509022919_604213354_MoviesWebDark.png.6fcfb5625f7888abecf205f392d67d69(1).thumb.png.3488ecd7b2daf4655d470887489cc87a.png

-----------------------------------------

3. Button Overlays - could be done in the design as in the web version the buttons are. I mean if you mouseover a button like green is not good and the scaling looks really bad.

4. Time have other Font- use the same like Font from the top Bar

5. the seen / unseen Indicator look bad. many too big and the hook is not centered. probably because quick & dirty was scaled up. Look Picture @ point 2 This Indicator is ok

--------------------------------------

emby.thumb.jpg.68aebf84e3a859ca29bca865ac271aee.jpg

And that is exactly what makes Plex stand out from you.
The graphics are created perfectly and the overall picture is coherent.

Apart from the fact that the Plex design is adjusted in time and has not stopped at Android 2.

as I said I'm only talking about AndroidTV app that just looks crap.

Edited by Dlarge

Yeah, using excrement to describe the present condition of the application isn't accurate. I would guess it was jealousy or perhaps anger that your suggestions weren't taken seriously. You have to realize we are all human. When you make something and others tear it to pieces it doesn't make you feel grand. Remember that we are all people and that when others equate your work as $hit it hurts. You catch more bees with honey than manure. Try to point out what you do like then work in the parts you don't. Don't just rip on the parts you hate. It makes you look petty. It makes you look like a bully. It makes you look mean. ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dlarge said:

1.  The Green is horrible pls change this. look at the screen of me beforehand where I said which green one could take

509022919_604213354_MoviesWebDark.png.6fcfb5625f7888abecf205f392d67d69(1).thumb.png.3488ecd7b2daf4655d470887489cc87a.png

You made a comment about the green overlays used on the posters themselves and how they look different depending on where you are in the app.  On this page the size and position look good IMHO.  I personally agree it shouldn't be green as it clashes with the different themes that can be used.  Emby of course lets you choose from many different themes as well as adjust the size of your posters (small, medium, large) which is nice as well. The green is "Emby Green" but maybe it's time to not worry about that as much as matching the color used on the theme itself. It doesn't look bad at all on the default or dark theme but looks out of place on the blue themes for example.

This has been mentioned many times in different threads but I personally don't like the consistency of how TV Shows use the green circle with a number to indicate number of episodes unwatched while in movies the green dot with a check mark means it has been watched.  The green dot means the opposite depending on the part of the system in use. I think it would be better to use the circle with a 1 in it for movies to show 1 movie not watched. This would work the same for collections and playlists so you see how many videos in the collection/playlist  haven't been watched just as you do in TV Shows.  The count could also be used to show how many versions of the movie are unwatched but should be an option.  A normal version, 3D, 4K, commentary and unrated version could show as 1 or 5 depending on setting.  This way even if you've watched Top Gun previously but added a 4K version or a 3D version it would show a number to indicate one or more of the movies haven't been watched. In the movie section the dot could be without a number as well to mean unwatched just as in TV which would be the easiest thing. This could also be of use to filter for 3D films and see which actual 3D films haven't been watched even if the non 3D version has been watched.

None of these things are anything major at all but give the user a more consistent look, feel & functionality that is part of a good design.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cayars said:

I think it would be better to use the circle with a 1 in it for movies to show 1 movie not watched. This would work the same for collections and playlists so you see how many videos in the collection/playlist  haven't been watched just as you do in TV Shows.  The count could also be used to show how many versions of the movie are unwatched but should be an option.  A normal version, 3D, 4K, commentary and unrated version could show as 1 or 5 depending on setting.  This way even if you've watched Top Gun previously but added a 4K version or a 3D version it would show a number to indicate one or more of the movies haven't been watched. In the movie section the dot could be without a number as well to mean unwatched just as in TV which would be the easiest thing. This could also be of use to filter for 3D films and see which actual 3D films haven't been watched even if the non 3D version has been watched.

That is a good idea. Then Shows and Movies would have the same paradigm as far as the green circles go. Movies would become groups of 1 or many rather than singular. It would mean movies get treated the same way TV shows are treated. That makes perfect sense.

That would make use of the checkmark within the green circle useless and not required any longer.

Everything becomes a grouped item (think multiple versions possible) and would always be a green circle with a number inside if there are unwatched. If there are no unwatched in that group then show nothing at all. There is no such thing as a singular item because there is always a possibility of multiple versions. Bye bye checkmark.

The accent color of that green circle has always been green. It was feared changing the color to.. say orange on halloween would match the other guys and doing that is.. weird. So they were left green. We had this conversation way back when I made them purple in the Roku app and changed all accents to purple. It loses that Emby feel.

Edited by speechles

FrostByte
13 minutes ago, cayars said:

The green is "Emby Green" but maybe it's time to not worry about that as much as matching the color used on the theme itself. It doesn't look bad at all on the default or dark theme but looks out of place on the blue themes for example.

I believe he devs have already started adding themes which utilize the theme color more throughout in the latest betas

• Thanks 1

Dlarge

I don't want the green to be removed, I just wanted to say that you agree on a green, such as in the progress bar. The green is a little stronger and lighter and just looks modern.

If you use red etc. in the themes like in the web version, that's super clear.

In the AppleTV theme, the green doesn't fit at all.

emby is emby, whether green or purple, it simply has to fit into the picture.

Edited by Dlarge

K1ng_Lear

Sorry, but referring to Plex as an example is misleading, especially the Plex ATV App is, compared to Emby, a pain in the ass. In Plex are every useful function unnecessary buried in some submenus, e.g. subtitle or audio selection before playing and so on. Also is the little available backdrop support by Plex, covered by their GUI. Damn, I want to enjoy my backdrops and not their damn GUI

Yes, the Plex App has definitely more direct play and subtitle capabilities then Emby but the GUI is so f...king designed that I dropped it as soon as Emby met my requirements. From the GUI design I love a lot of the fine Kodi surfaces, Aeon Nox is my absolut favourite, but I switched from the Kodi surface to the native Emby app because I didn't get the theme music to run on Kodin nor the rotating backgrounds; and I love this features.

So, EMBY isn't perfect but compared to Plex it contains the better user experiance.

Edited by K1ng_Lear
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1