Themes AndroidTV/FireTV

Dlarge

1 hour ago, RS43 said:

I am little bit confused why 3.1.23 is made available to work on Android TV

Hi.  This was just put out as a test/proof of concept.  It is not ready for TV use.

I made some adjustments to how the Apple TV theme handles backdrops that should make text more readable with the dark backdrops that a lot of movies have.

appletvdetail.png

6 hours ago, CBers said:

I'm sorry, but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with your comment. 

The Android app was not originally designed to work on a TV, only a phone or tablet, but has been amended to do so, although it doesn't work nearly as good as the Android TV app. 

The Android TV app was designed from the bottom up, so that it matched Google's vision, and fits in with the official Android TV platforms, such as the Sheild, Nexus Player and Fire TV's. 

If you prefer the Android Mobile app running on your device, perhaps ask @Luke to make it better, but the last time I used it on my Shield,  the audio wasn't being passed through correctly, as I was getting PCM instead of Atmos, which the Android TV app does perfectly. There are so many other things wrong with it, there's too many to list. 

I agree on functionality.. but Emby 3.1.23 on Shield still looks great compared to Emby ATV, so it is more about the layout

5 hours ago, ebr said:

I made some adjustments to how the Apple TV theme handles backdrops that should make text more readable with the dark backdrops that a lot of movies have.

appletvdetail.png

Will this be available in an update? Wondering why your selection box is light grey (i.e. play button) as it shows in mine green..

20200718_152332.jpg

arrbee99

I think Emby on Shield/Fire TV looks great as it is, though I always use the Dark theme. Anyway, am wondering, the adjustment @ebr made, that background looks blurry, I hope thats just a coincidence for the image you used and there's not going to be any blurry backgrounds escaping anywhere else ?

17 hours ago, RS43 said:

Will this be available in an update?

It will be available in beta soon.  I cannot say when it will be generally available.

17 hours ago, RS43 said:

Wondering why your selection box is light grey (i.e. play button) as it shows in mine green..

I also adjusted that for the Apple TV theme as the green doesn't work well there.

17 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

that background looks blurry

The Apple TV theme blurs the background for readability of the text.  This is not new and is necessary due to the fact that so many backdrops are primarily dark.

22 hours ago, ebr said:

It will be available in beta soon.  I cannot say when it will be generally available.

I also adjusted that for the Apple TV theme as the green doesn't work well there.

The Apple TV theme blurs the background for readability of the text.  This is not new and is necessary due to the fact that so many backdrops are primarily dark.

Hi ebr,

Is it possible to make the background of Apple theme more to the side of white than the old grey colour now please?

Additionally possible to add shadow background to posters?

I believe above will give the theme a more modern look. 

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
Dlarge

So I'm going to click here again. either the mods misunderstand something here or the devs are happy.😄

it's just about taking over the layout and design as it looks in the web version. It starts with the ancient icons and ended with the cruel themes. 

If the player is revised is a start for a long Journey. As is well known, design is a matter of taste, but the AndroidTV apps and offshoots are outdated. 

my screens actually say everything. Unfortunately I am so far that I always use Plex parallel or use Kodi with Emby Addon, although I don't like the detour.

I myself coded skins for MediaPortal and Plex but I always took the layout myself. The green buttons, for example, don't look very inviting on the TV / projector surface.

Edited by Dlarge

CBers
11 minutes ago, Dlarge said:

it's just about taking over the layout and design as it looks in the web version. It starts with the ancient icons and ended with the cruel themes. 

I have both apps installed on my Shield and I can't see much difference, apart from perhaps the images in the ATV app being bigger, so fewer, on the screen, whereas the mobile app has slightly smaller images, so more images on screen. 

Other than that, they look pretty identical, just better functionality in the ATV app. 

The mobile app needs to learn from the ATV app and add more options and the same functionality, such as the prompt when enabling the app, an option for removing the highlight box, showing synopsis during playback etc. 

I'm sure there are more if Emby want to have it as a valid app for Android TV, although I still believe they already have that with the ATV app. 

25 minutes ago, Dlarge said:

So I'm going to click here again. either the mods misunderstand something here or the devs are happy.😄

If the player is revised is a start for a long Journey. As is well known, design is a matter of taste, but the AndroidTV apps and offshoots are outdated. 

my screens actually say everything. Unfortunately I am so far that I always use Plex parallel or use Kodi with Emby Addon, although I don't like the detour.

I myself coded skins for MediaPortal and Plex but I always took the layout myself. The green buttons, for example, don't look very inviting on the TV / projector surface.

Finally someone understands what I meant!

The look of the app on Shield feels like from the nineties compared to the one on mobiles. 

In my comments ATV stands for ANDROID TV and not Apple TV.

24 minutes ago, ebr said:

Have you tried the latest beta?

Not sure which one? I am now on 1.8.11 Beta Android TV.

My shield does not show any update available. 

CBers
51 minutes ago, RS43 said:

In my comments ATV stands for ANDROID TV and not Apple TV.

Correct. Apple TV is known around here as aTV 😀

20 minutes ago, RS43 said:

Not sure which one? I am now on 1.8.11 Beta Android TV.

My shield does not show any update available. 

The latest beta is v1.8.22. 

See here

Edited by CBers
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CBers said:

Correct. Apple TV is known around here as aTV 😀

The latest beta is v1.8.22. 

See here

V1.8.22 BIG improvement. Thanks and well done!

Would be great to implement Trakt lists as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dlarge

I looked at the beta 22 and think we are going in the right direction and it looks really good. Thank you in advance for your work.

I still have a few things that would definitely improve the design. Please forgive me for the pictures because I photographed them from my 4K Projector.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home Screen

Picture 1 - I miss a ramdom backdrom that the design doesn't look too dark and the lower part from the Own Media menu is cut off

Picture 2 - the same with missing backdrop but additionally  Buttons too bright.  and everything looks different, sometimes with shadow then sometimes without. The watch has a different font.

Picture 3 - You can see a Random Backdrop without a menu item being selected and looks nicer. I am aware that the web version has a mouseover function, but that has nothing to do with it because the random backdrom is selected by itself.

1188232178_HomeAndroidDark.thumb.jpg.0b65451ec57f2aa0adda6b7dd2c09570.jpg

51311133_HomeAndroidATV.thumb.jpg.8314343a27d8fa2066069b20302063c1.jpg1119444781_HomeWebDark.thumb.png.728c92921e402ffc50a3b72d11c1f362.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Thumbs

The arrangement looks very good, but the scaling of the hooks seen is poor and uneven. The icons of the hooks are too big in my opinion.

The transparency of the top bar doesn't really look good either and could be better adapted to the web version. watch have other font and colour.

In the web version, only the title and year are under the covers and that looks more coherent and calm. not like in the AndroidTV version with language and rating, too much Information. All Informations are on Details Page.

The overlay for the highlighted film is not exactly perfect. You can see it very nicely in Picture 2 at Spiderman.

the sorting and filtering menu looks great in the web version, maybe you could also position it under the top bar in the Android version but on the right with new fresh icons is also good. Actually only the overlays of the buttons look crap.😉

179170418_MoviesAndroidDark.thumb.jpg.69325af86629235e94b4ced13efbc4e9.jpg1507325391_MoviesAndroidATV.thumb.jpg.4288365182bac894cf6da7026e5c794c.jpg1199631613_MoviesWebDark.thumb.png.bdb3413a823a5941f4736665d26c7c3c.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Details

as you can see the arrangement is different in the web version but I don't think that's bad. However, the milky backdrop overlay does not match that of the movie thumbs view. The overlay from the movie overview page looks better in any case.

The scaling of the buttons and selection buttons is distorted.

It also looks strange that the information such as language, resolution, etc. is stored as if you could select it. Pls, slightly more transparent and round off the edges. Fits the overall picture better.

The background to the description is also too bright and should be less visible. more transparent and a little darker.

1431244022_DetailsAndroidATV.thumb.jpg.f160b992ad2c833659ec35c022aae88c.jpg712148386_DetailsWebDark.thumb.png.a127a5632d80a5f1be31d5289bf81a5d.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, really great work and I hope that one or the other will still be implemented what I suggested. 

I still have one, we have the Emby Classic Theme and Dark Theme, both of them hardly differ. It would be nice if the Green from Buttons in the Dark Theme was removed or lightened and the Buttons made more transparent.

In the movie list the right menu is also more transparent than the top bar and that looks better because the dark green looks very bad and old on TVs. 

You have already changed this in the Apple TV theme and it looks much better.

Edited by Dlarge
  • Like 1

Dlarge

4 days have passed and no response at all. It's very unprofessional, sorry. One has the feeling that there is no interest in improving Emby.

I am very disappointed😞

CBers
2 hours ago, Dlarge said:

4 days have passed and no response at all. It's very unprofessional, sorry. One has the feeling that there is no interest in improving Emby.

I am very disappointed😞

You are one of many thousands of users, so the devs can't pander to just your requests. 

They take a balanced view of requests and if they see something that can be tweaked easily, without affecting other users, then they will. 

Be patient, Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Edited by CBers
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Dlarge

You just misunderstand me. I don't expect a beta after 2 days. I was just expecting feedback on what you think of it.

I am aware that this is very much what I have suggested. I would very much like to help make Emby better. Please do not understand it as a criticism and I look forward to your work.👍

CBers
1 hour ago, Dlarge said:

You just misunderstand me. I don't expect a beta after 2 days. I was just expecting feedback on what you think of it.

I am aware that this is very much what I have suggested. I would very much like to help make Emby better. Please do not understand it as a criticism and I look forward to your work.👍

I'm sure once the developers have feedback, they will publish it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2020 at 1:44 PM, Dlarge said:

the scaling of the hooks seen is poor and uneven

To what are you referring here?

On 7/30/2020 at 1:44 PM, Dlarge said:

The background to the description is also too bright and should be less visible

That is a focus indicator and only appears that way when the summary has focus (which it only can if it is too long to fit).

Thanks for the other feedback.

Dlarge

Hi,

1. i mean the seen and unseen indicators

2. Ok, my suggestion would be to change it like the web version with a button "See more"

Dlarge

Good Morning,

i have looked in Emby Beta and found some new improvements.

On Picture 1 -  the Green from the Progressbar are really nice. I could imagine to have this green tone everywhere. I see 4 different ones on the home screen alone.😄

IMG_20200804_070137.thumb.jpg.0a7733c29cfb4bb64dfc421e28389a0c.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture 2 - You can see how dirty this looks and how difficult it is to see everything. An overlay that darkens or the blurred as from the detail views would be an attempt. I think it's important that it's the same everywhere.IMG_20200803_215239.thumb.jpg.4f63b043fd1b01e98fd1f32bd7189b19.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture 3 - On Detailspage it would be better to push the Season bar further down. This would give you more space to divide up the information better.

IMG_20200804_070210.thumb.jpg.05f15bbf830d3168a8e5459c2059e6e0.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture 4 - you can see the Overlay is positioned too small or too far down.IMG_20200804_070229.thumb.jpg.0457d7877bd89ad0357b64f690c83a28.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pls center the Filename Filename information. I'm looking forward to your great work again.😃

arrbee99

If I may comment as just another user -

For Android TV -

Agree about the various shades of green.

Definitely don't agree about making the backdrops darker. As far as I'm concerned, the more visible they are the better. Thats why I download them, so I can see them. Am talking about the details screen here, for the posters page (second image above) I just leave it as blank / dark. I've even added css for the browser to move stuff down out of the way of the backdrop and brightened the backdrop up as well.

eg

1729031998_EmbyBackdropsBrighter.thumb.JPG.5c5a2e38120333fc5e8caad368ab8c0f.JPG

Agree about you're third image, but the response seems to be that if those bits at the bottom aren't there, some users aren't capable of scrolling down to find such stuff.

Edited by arrbee99