Themes AndroidTV/FireTV

Dlarge

Dlarge

Hi,

I've been using Emby for so long and I'm super satisfied. however, something bothers me on AndroidTV and FireTV.

Why do the themes look as horribly outdated as Android 2. One comes from the design 10 years ago. The Emby server looks super modern with transparency and backdrops and rounded icons, why is this design not adopted?

A revision of the themes with several styles would be very good and contemporary. For example, the AppleTV app also looks much more modern.

is something planned in this direction?

emby.png

Edited by Dlarge
  • Like 1

Hi.  Our default theme should look almost exactly like the picture you posted.  Can you provide more specifics of what you are looking for?

Thanks.

Dlarge

hi,

the arrangement is ok so far, I only mean the design and the graphics. You can look on Emby Server and Emby Mobile.

- Random Backdrom on Home Screen (is missing in AndroidTV)

- Fresh Transparent und rounded Icons and Buttons

- Player has also bigger and new Design with new Icons etc

the other themes are for example AppleTV are too white, too bright look very old-fashioned on AndroidTV/FireTV

emby.png

emby toolbar.png

emby movies.png

emby player.png

Edited by Dlarge

3 hours ago, Dlarge said:

Random Backdrom on Home Screen (is missing in AndroidTV)

The app has an option to show backdrops while browsing.  It then will show the backdrop associated with the currently focused item.  The web and mobile have no concept of "focus" so, therefore, must just choose a random one.

• 2 weeks later...
Dlarge
Hi, I am aware of that but why is no random backdrop used on AndroidTV.

It doesn't look nice when everything is dark. I'm only talking about the top bar.

You can assign backdrops to your libraries if you wish (web app edit images) or you can also choose a different theme that has a more interesting backdrop.

Just choosing a random backdrop isn't something anyone has requested before.   We can consider it but I think it is probably best to leave it where the user can control this themselves (via suggestions above).

Dlarge

The backdrop was just one example. Actually, I am concerned that the complete themes do not look modern and do not fit the design of the server and mobile version.

I think it's a shame that the time is wasted on changing all Android with the old design. For example, the Roku app recently.

the complete themes do not look modern and do not fit the design of the server and mobile version.

Hi there, can you please elaborate on what you mean by this?

Yes, please elaborate a little more.  In your example above, it is from the web app which is designed for desktop use.  We do use some slightly different sizes and layouts for 10' (TV) use but, for the most part, they are fairly identical.  For example, the item detail screen is designed for a bit more emphasis on the background art since it is displayed on your big screen TV.

The playback OSD is currently undergoing its unification.  This app was last because I know old timers are going to scream bloody murder about it.

As for specific theme colors - we've found we cannot use the exact same colors on web and TV due to the way TVs are usually calibrated.  Colors that look good on a desktop or phone are over-saturated and "blow out" on a TV device.  So we have adjusted those a bit as well.

However, a bit more unification on the actual choices is next on the list after the OSD.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

CBers
18 minutes ago, ebr said:

The playback OSD is currently undergoing its unification.  This app was last because I know old timers are going to scream bloody murder about it.

I hope you're not intending on using the horrible ET OSD in the ATV app??

It should be the other way round. 

• Like 1

maegibbons
I hope you're not intending on using the horrible ET OSD in the ATV app??
It should be the other way round. 

Yes. @ebr The cats out the bag so can you please expand on this unification?

Sounds very worrying indeed!!

Make sure there is a switch to turn the "legacy" interface back on!!!!!!!

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

• Like 2

CloudWing93
On 6/30/2020 at 7:15 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  Our default theme should look almost exactly like the picture you posted.  Can you provide more specifics of what you are looking for?

Thanks.

@ebr I agree layout-wise they defiantly look very similar and I think the TV apps generally look pretty good but I would agree there are some improvements that could be made. The biggest one in my opinion is the toolbar at the top. For some reason to me it seems a little outdated looking. I can't really put my finger on why that is. I think a nice semi transparent toolbar like the one on web would look much better. It would also make it look more in line with the web and mobile apps which is also a plus.

10 hours ago, CloudWing93 said:

I think a nice semi transparent toolbar like the one on web would look much better

It already is... assuming you are talking about the tabs.  However, you will notice that, on TV, we show backdrops MUCH more prominently than web and mobile because it is a big screen and good use of this artwork.  Therefore, when we do have text or other items you need to be able to read, we have to have a background layer that makes that readable no matter the image behind it.  We can try lightening it a little...

CloudWing93
1 hour ago, ebr said:

It already is... assuming you are talking about the tabs.  However, you will notice that, on TV, we show backdrops MUCH more prominently than web and mobile because it is a big screen and good use of this artwork.  Therefore, when we do have text or other items you need to be able to read, we have to have a background layer that makes that readable no matter the image behind it.  We can try lightening it a little...

I guess that makes sense. I personally don't like using backdrops that much as I prefer a more subtle UI so I didn't notice that it was already translucent. I honestly think the layout and size of all the tabs look great. I think what makes it a little outdated in my subjective opinion is the white gradient bar at the bottom of the tabs. I think like you said lightening it a little might help as well as maybe get rid of the white gradient. What I like about the web version is it very subtle but you can still tell it is a toolbar.

WIN_20200716_20_20_13_Pro (1).jpg

Edited by CloudWing93

If I compare poster view in Emby Mobile app and Android TV app & how clean it is.. the mobile App looks amazing with Apple TV theme showcasing the posters of TV shows and Movies as very modern. This is not available in Android TV and looks very dark with big gaos between posters. ATV default theme looks very ouddated

3 minutes ago, RS43 said:

If I compare poster view in Emby Mobile app and Android TV app & how clean it is.. the mobile App looks amazing with Apple TV theme showcasing the posters of TV shows and Movies as very modern. This is not available in Android TV and looks very dark with big gaos between posters. ATV default theme looks very ouddated

Hi.  We have the Apple TV theme in Android TV as well:

appletvthememovies.png

1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We have the Apple TV theme in Android TV as well:

appletvthememovies.png

This does not look same as Mobile app at all.. please show us a screen of the movie information page.. I have highlited this before that it is very difficult to read the text due the colours.. you can call the theme Apple TV on ATV however it does not have the same bright and modern look as mobile App.. 

Is it not almost identical to the Apple TV itself?  TV devices do require not quite as bright of colors as a phone or desktop because they get way too bright on a big screen device.  Also, the screen shots from Android TV are significantly darker than they appear on the device itself.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 9.22.48 AM.png

1 minute ago, ebr said:

Is it not almost identical to the Apple TV itself?  TV devices do require not quite as bright of colors as a phone or desktop because they get way too bright on a big screen device.  Also, the screen shots from Android TV are significantly darker than they appear on the device itself.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 9.22.48 AM.png

I am referring to Apple theme on Android TV App..

First picture is Mobile App installed on Shield TV.. however this app needs some work to have a smooth work on android TV..

Second picture is Emby app on android TV with Apple TV theme.. looks very old design to me and difficult to read. 

So why are the colours more bright with Mobile app on shield TV and not for Emby App on Shield TV.. both are same TV

3rd picture Emby App on Shield TV

4rd picture Mobile App on Shield TV.. looks more modern to me

20200718_152508.jpg

20200718_152332.jpg

20200718_152820.jpg

20200718_152656.jpg

16 minutes ago, RS43 said:

please show us a screen of the movie information page

We can look at this again but you specifically mentioned the poster view and layout so I'm trying to understand the complaint there.  Thanks.

Just now, ebr said:

We can look at this again but you specifically mentioned the poster view and layout so I'm trying to understand the complaint there.  Thanks.

It is the entire layout of Emby App on Android TV.. I should not tell you the look of Mobile app is much more modern then the current default theme of the Android TV App as this seems to me obvious by just comparing the two. 

I am struggling a bit with what you feel looks "old" about the detail screen.  The mobile/desktop app is designed for a small form-factor and does not emphasize things like backdrop artwork.  The TV app is designed for a big screen and does emphasize that artwork.

Unfortunately, in a light theme like Apple TV and with completely unknown backdrop content, it does become a struggle to get text colors that work against any background.  We will have to continue to tweak that.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, ebr said:

I am struggling a bit with what you feel looks "old" about the detail screen.  The mobile/desktop app is designed for a small form-factor and does not emphasize things like backdrop artwork.  The TV app is designed for a big screen and does emphasize that artwork.

Unfortunately, in a light theme like Apple TV and with completely unknown backdrop content, it does become a struggle to get text colors that work against any background.  We will have to continue to tweak that.

Thanks.

The Mobile App 3.1.23 is installed on Shield TV and does the work regarding the modern look but needs some work to have a better navigation/ scrolling with Android TV, so why not start with this? I am little bit confused why 3.1.23 is made available to work on Android TV but still have the original Android TV app as well..

So offering themes in Emby Premiere which are not designed to work in Emby ATV app.. confusing to me why this theme is available then..

Plex does the work with modern look so should be also possible for Emby rather then starting about artwork backdrops etc.. apologies if this sounds ruth but yiu cannot say the looks feels already modern

CBers
34 minutes ago, RS43 said:

It is the entire layout of Emby App on Android TV.. I should not tell you the look of Mobile app is much more modern then the current default theme of the Android TV App as this seems to me obvious by just comparing the two. 

I'm sorry, but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with your comment. 

The Android app was not originally designed to work on a TV, only a phone or tablet, but has been amended to do so, although it doesn't work nearly as good as the Android TV app. 

The Android TV app was designed from the bottom up, so that it matched Google's vision, and fits in with the official Android TV platforms, such as the Sheild, Nexus Player and Fire TV's. 

If you prefer the Android Mobile app running on your device, perhaps ask @Luke to make it better, but the last time I used it on my Shield,  the audio wasn't being passed through correctly, as I was getting PCM instead of Atmos, which the Android TV app does perfectly. There are so many other things wrong with it, there's too many to list.