Samsung Playback Stops

Jekkyl

Jekkyl

Hi All,

Just recently in the last month or so when playing anything via the Samsung Emby App it will randomly kick back to the episode/movie selection screen and also will not have recorded the watch history so you need to start again/fast forward.

I have attached the log around the time it happened last - embyserver-timeframe.txt and also the full emby log for the day.

The TV is a Samsung SmartTV (UE55MU7000) running Emby theater 1.0.77.

Thanks for any help

embyserver.txt embyserver-timeframe.txt

Painkiller8818

I just had a quick look in your Logs.

What i saw is that you have a lot of SocketException errors.

Do you have any Firewalls or Antivirus on your Windows Emby Server running? Maybe this is causing Problems.

You could try to Disable the Windows Defender Firewall for an hour, and also your Antivirus if you have one (best would be to exclude the Emby directory)

And just test it again.

I am not an emby dev, and not that familiar with the emby logs but this is what i would have an eye on.

Maybe an experienced member could tell you more. There is also a trakt exception but this isn't the reason for stopping the playback.

• Like 1

Jekkyl

Heya Painkiller8818,

I just use the Standard windows firewall and defender. I can double check the router and see if anything on that...it only happens once or twice max on a movie or episode and not every time but often enough to be frustrating.

Painkiller8818

hm, Maybe I'm getting too involved in this detail but your SocketException errors seems to have to do something with the problem.

Can you try to disable the windows defender for a whole movie? and also disable the windows firewall.

One more thing. Your TV, is it connected wireless or wired? to me it really seems it is losing the connection.

Jekkyl

its wireless but its in the same room as the access point so seems odd. It doesn't buffer or pause it just drops straight out.

I can try disabling defender and the firewall and see as well.

4 hours ago, Jekkyl said:

No the last 2 were AVI and MKV

But avi and mkv with mpeg4?

Maisy

This happens to me on my Samsung S3 Tablet, Android 8 currently (was Android 9, recently flashed back to Android 8 for battery issues) ... watching a movie on my tablet, WI-FI working, suddenly movie stops, going back to the information screen, with no resume time.

If I go back to the main movies listing or home or whatever, the movie is partially watched and choosing it again the resume time to is available. 

This has happened every so often, not enough for me to warrant worry over it happening ever, but it is annoying when it happens. I don't want any of my family to have to endure this problem though, ... I don't have any logs to share right now, but I'm interested to see where this topic goes.

Most of my videos are in .mkv and are H264  ... it's never the same file over and again, it's varied content, only HD and SD content, if it was a WI-FI issue I think I'd see it more frequently.

Jekkyl

Is there any logging I can enable or anything else to try? this is getting worse. I had a movie do it over 6 times during it. Just bouncing straight back to the movie page with Play as the only option no resume. I see there is a different verison of the Samsung player that could be installed via USB, is that worth trying at all?

Maisy

This happened to me on my Samsung S3 last night. I was watching and then it suddenly went back to movie page, I backed out to Home and back to movies. My movie didn't have a colored line indicating the progress, as I had been watching it. I opened the actual movie page, and it had time to resume there though. This is frustrating to the end of frustration itself.

Maisy

1992090190_ActivitySamsungS3.thumb.png.9041a238aac8011cb95ddff47b65ba9c.png

This is in my Activity feed on the server. I started the movie at 9:32pm and at 10:00pm it went back to the movie home screen. I backed out to home and then eventually started the movie again, with resume that finally showed on the movie page at 10:02pm. The movie played fine to the end then.

Are there any logs that would help? I don't know which one(s) from tablet or server could be useful with seeing the actual Activity feed as is in my screen snip from server pc chrome. 

Edited by Maisy
Fix spelling error.

What happens if you back up to the main menu then navigate back to the movie?  Does the resume show up then?

Jekkyl
2 hours ago, cayars said:

What happens if you back up to the main menu then navigate back to the movie?  Does the resume show up then?

Just tried this and yes the resume is there if I do this.

I believe this is a REFRESH problem on the client.

I've noticed something related which is why I asked you to try this.  I was watching The Big Bang Theory the other night and it was on Season 10.  I binged season 10, 11 and hit a snag on season 12.  At the same time I had been converting the files from h.264/mp4 to h.265/mkv and had replaced episode 10-24 with these files.  I had done a library refresh and all was good except on my Shield TV where I had been bing watching.  When I got done S12E09 it would not play 10 and the file was still showing MP4.  I could go back to different seasons, back out of TBB and still same problem.  I had to go out to the main menu then back into TV Shows before it REFRESHED the content.

@ebr is this something you can look at?

I thought we were talking about the Samsung app here... but, in the case of Android TV, every time you enter a detail screen the item is loaded from the server so, if the information was not correct at that time, then it has to be that the server had not refreshed it yet.

Jekkyl
18 minutes ago, ebr said:

I thought we were talking about the Samsung app here... but, in the case of Android TV, every time you enter a detail screen the item is loaded from the server so, if the information was not correct at that time, then it has to be that the server had not refreshed it yet.

We were talking about the samsung app and the what cayars is talking about only really seems related to the resume issue not showing but nothing to do with the original problem.

Yea, sorry guys, didn't mean to derail things.  Over elaborated on why I wanted to see when it refreshed.

Jekkyl

Any more ideas on how to troubleshoot this, Ive tried a wired connection and still have the same problem.

Jekkyl
1 minute ago, ethanCao said:

same problem, any solutions?

nope nothing, not even any troubleshooting advise really...

Jekkyl

Would really appreciate someone looking over this from the Dev team and throwing some ideas for troubleshooting at us, sounds like a few people have the problem, or at least a similar problem.

• Like 1