Question about device for Live TV source.

bohosh

bohosh

Hi there,

I need to know is it possible to use this device (picture below) for live tv source and is it compatible with emby?

1598760873_Screenshot_2020-06-30US508314OFFH265H264HDMIVideoAudioWifiEncoderIptvsRtspRtmpOnvifHDMIEncoderH265f....png.06f8af4488635153b9f2b6063b435c90.png

This is china encoder from aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000821588713.html?spm=2114.best.6.4.23a1SSaVSSaVjE&scm=1007.17258.167931.0&pvid=0f684876-789f-4aa7-a99f-66b5c03fbe0b

For now I only use HDHomerun but I need a device with hdmi input (if you can recommend me more quality device).

BR.

@cayars

As is it won't work with Emby per say.  What you can do with this device is create IPTV streams (1 to 4 depending on resolution).

So for example if you had a cable/sat box with HDMI output and input that to this box you could digitize the SINGLE channel coming from the cable/sat box and make an iptv stream from it.  So you could have one single channel stream.  These are the type of boxes a lot of low end systems use to put together streams for illegal IPTV services.

So they are good for a single channel type thing.  It will not work in Emby Live TV where you want to change channels unless you only wanted one channel or had the ability to change the cable/sat box TV via IR (old school).

I tried to give a rough overview in the hopes I might have answered your question.  If you can be specific about why you need HDMI I can answer you a lot better or maybe make other suggestions.  When you get into HDMI you also have to take into consider the source and if it's encrypted and what type of encryption chain it uses.

But basically this is an Dedicated Encoder that does WIFI and the antenna you see is for WIFI and not an OTA tuner if that is what you thought.  It has no ability to pick up OTA broadcast or to tune channels on a device.  It's mission is to take an input stream and ENCODE it to a streaming format and that's it.

• Like 1

bohosh

Thanks.

I now that this device is only for encoding hdmi signal and its not a OTA tuner.

In my other post I was wrote that I have a few digital tv sources and I want to put them all together (all channels) so I can watch them all with emby.

I already have 2 HDHomerun devices for my cable tvs but I also have a set-top-box from different company with different channels.

This box has only hdmi output and I need to find the way to connect it with emby...

BR

If you want to go into specifics without telling the world in the forum feel free to PM me.  I've been around the world a few times and have some experience with a couple like boxes that I own. :)

If I get the jist of what you're alluding to with the other cable box and other channels and if you want to record/view specific channels then this could work.  If you want the specific channel to appear for example as a channel you can feed into Emby as 1 IPTV channel that will work.

bohosh

So If I understand you correct, I can use it only as ip stream and I need to install iptv addon on emby?

No need for the IPTV plugin.

You can create an M3U file with the stream from that device.

You can then add it as a "tuner" directly into Emby TV and assign it a guide source for the channel.

If on the other hand you were feeding it a security camera or similar and it's not a TV broadcast then maybe the iptv plugin would work.

If you don't want to speak "coded" about what you want to do, just send me  a PM.  I'm sure I can help specifically what you want to do.

Carlo

• Like 1

bohosh

Thanks, maybe this is what i need to try..

I have in my house 2 different cable tv providers and I've already bought hdhomerun tunners for them.

But I want to watch some tv channels that non of these providers have...and I plan to add one more just for a single channel (I have this channel, but its not HD).

In my area there are 2 providers that has this channel in HD quality but both provide their services only with these "set-top-box" and I'm searching the way to connect them with emby.

output-onlinepngtools.png.2c128c0ac1185084db1c42236883145b.png

This is one of set-top-boxes that I need to add as a "source".

BR

Edited by bohosh

• 3 weeks later...
speedingcheetah

I am looking to make it so that i can get my laptop and xbox to display on my monitor, without having to keep changing hdmi cable out of the one HDMI port my monitor has, that has my Nvidia Shield is most often connected to. ( i have tried hdmi switches, but find them unstable.)

What device do I need to take the hdmi signal, and make it into a .m3u local network stream I can then thus load as a channel in Emby?

I seen the images of 2 devices in this thread, but cant seem to find exactly that or know what they are called.

Edit: O. IPTV encoder boxes...they seem to range in price, and the cheaper ones, i see, hls and a bunch of other streaming protcols, but not sure if it has a export .m3u, of if i can just make one and have the http or rtsp etc url in it.

Edited by speedingcheetah

speedingcheetah
1 minute ago, cayars said:

eh? what does an article about the difference between a switch and a splitter have anything to do with using an HDMi input source as a tuner and channel in Emby?

I know what the 2 devices do. splitter would duplicate the same signal to multiple displays. switch makes it so that one display can show multiple different sources on just one port.  (typically one at a time, but some can do PIP)

Because it sounds like you are trying to use multiple different devices through one input on your monitor, correct?

That is the function of a good HDMI switch.  That is exactly the purpose of that device.

Trying to encode the output of the HDMI port on an xbox and then playing that encode on your monitor would have massive lag and make game play impossible.  If you are a gamer and wanted to record a session you would likely use a splitter with one side going to your monitor and the other to an encoder.

That is how both devices fit.