Emby for Kodi - playback problems in add on mode

fr0z3n
Go to solution Solved by deaconf19,

deaconf19

I went ahead a uninstalled the plugin and did a fresh install. I selected native instead this time. The reason being is that I was not experiencing the playback issue after updating the file with the above recommendations on all my T.V. shows only one Paw Patrol. I am going I did disable the auto play next episode as well and I am going to test.

I did notice that the plugin was acting up and merging T.V. shows together despite the server portion seeing them separate, which was fixed with a reinstall.

also I saw mentioning of skin being used. I have Pellucid.

Edited by deaconf19

quickmic

@deaconf19

I haven't performed many tests with native mode, please keep me updated if you spot playback issues.

for plugin mode, I think I found the play-next enabled issue.

As mentioned before, in that file: /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.emby/emby/objects/play/plugin.py

The line:

xbmcplugin.setResolvedUrl(int(sys.argv[1]), False, xbmcgui.ListItem())

should me replaced with hat one:

xbmcplugin.setResolvedUrl(int(sys.argv[1]), True, xbmcgui.ListItem(path=listitem.getPath()))

This will basically fix the play-next issue, but you would observe, every tvshow etc will be played twice.

Therefore in the same file this line:

self.add_listitem(self.info['Item']['PlaybackInfo']['Path'], listitem, self.info['Index'])

Should be removed.

I will release a patch in a few days for tests. It will be available if you enable developer mode in emby4kodi settings under "advanced".

quickmic

Yesterday's (current patch) does not address the play issue reported in the thread. Actually, I don't have any issues with my regular boxes (setup) as well, but I can reproduce the reported issue with a special test setup.

If you are currently not affected there is no need to fiddle with the code.

• Like 1

@quickmic

Sorry for the rookie or dumb question on my part. Is that, I still can't know if it is possible to show the playlists of Emby on Kodi, or how. I make the menus and submenus from the nodes and they work great, but I still don't know how to do it with the playlists.

Thanks in advance.

quickmic

The playback issue should be fixed now. It should work with any possible configuration.

You can test with enabled "developer mode" in "advanced" settings of emby4kodi and reboot.

Please let me know, if you find issues.

@Riggs

This is a different topic, I'll look into playlists. If you have further questions, please open a new thread or use this one:

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 2

Hey @quickmic

Its all working great in Dev mode thanks. 

The only thing I've noticed though is when I "play random" via this addon

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Play_Random_Videos#:~:text=Summary%3A,from all sorts of lists.&text=This add-on can quickly,anything else%2C other than plugins.

Previously when I play random on a show with this addon via context menu, it would put multiple episodes in the current playlist randomly and play them all back. 

Now when I use the play random functionality in the context menu, it is only adding one episode in the playlist instead of multiple episodes.

Can you take a look please? Have our recent changes caused this change in behaviour for the play random functionality in the addon? 

Cheers

quickmic

I'll have a look at it. Have you tried the Kodi playlist shuffle function?

I don't know the random addon, is there a special benefit using it?

It's a tiny addon without much functionality or interface.

Essentially it allows you to go to any or show/season in any library or home screen widget, bring up context menu, and click "play random" which puts all episodes in the show in the playlist in a random order and begins playing the playlist. Typical use case is like "i want to watch this tv show or this season but i just want to watch random episodes without any particular order" - as described here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/91qgtm/an_option_to_play_random_episode/

My understanding is you can't do this with the normal shuffle function in kodi, or you can but you gotta load all the items in a playlist, then go to the playlist and forcefully shuffle items, then commence playback. The addon sort of does it all in one via one button

Cheers.

Edited by fr0z3n

quickmic

I'm struggling with the random addon. I cannot even find the context-menu button after plugin installed..

Just guessing, have you enabled auto play next episode in Kodi?

Yep auto play is selected. 

If you go to settings on the addon 

Addon browser 

My addons

Context menus

Play random videos 

Configure

Change the two settings Enable / Disable and press OK. Then go back into configure and verify they both say "Disable play random" and "Disable play one random". This means they are both enabled. 

Then go to any show in library, bring up context menu, and you find 2 new options play random and play one random. 

The play random button should put all episodes in a playlist and begin playback. Before the dev update this was happening.  Now im finding that only item is played back and no others are in the playlist. 

Hope this makes sense

I know it's a bit beyond the scope of emby but I really appreciate the help. 

Edited by fr0z3n

quickmic

@fr0z3n 

This is not a easy fix due to code design.

I keep in on my todo list but please don't expect to be fixed soon.

The problem is, the random plugin does not create a randomized playlist. It dynamically adds items more of less on the fly.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

@quickmic

On Thanks champion. As long as it makes sense why it was working pre dev update but now it isn't. It's an annoying change in behaviour but not the end of the world. I'd much rather deal with this than deal with the the playback error. Thanks for keeping it on your to do list too. You're a credit to the emby team 👌 

Edited by fr0z3n
  • Like 1

quickmic

Yes, I know why it's not working and it's based on the fact that emby4kodi manipulates Kodi Playlist (for no good reasons).

I removed playlist manipulators from the player code (were the issue was located). If I leave it in, the autoplay next episode will play episodes two times before continue next.

So actually there is no fix, cause the problem is the code design. Sooner or later I'll remove all those playlist manipulators from the code, also rewrite the stream initialization procedures.

... and this takes time, but also fixes a lot of other issues

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
fr0z3n

Thanks @quickmic makes sense.

If / when these planned future improvements become available in dev in the future and you need a guinea pig to test and verify feel free to ping me 👌

Thanks mate

quickmic

I assume in the next two weeks, a solution will be available.

I keep you updated.

Edited by quickmic