Question about backup procedure

jerren

jerren

Hey, i found the backup procedure  and i was trying it out (the manual steps) but it didn't work. Now i think i know why but i wanted certainty hence why i came here.

I'm basically trying to use that manual procedure to move from a windows 10 machine to a freenas machine. I'm still learning about freenas and i think my problem is with rights to write to the plugin folders but i'll ask that on the IXsystem forums. My question here is if it can be done at all so that i don't waste too much time trying this.

Thanks in advance

jerren

Well the problem was that i couldn't copy over any off the files even though i had added a user with all permissions to the jail that holds the emby jail. And also i was beginning to doubt if it was even possible to copy over files from a win 10 machine to a freenas machine since the 2 are so different.

Happy2Play

Some will work and others will not.  Moving to a different OS will have issues as anything that has a path will be broken as these two OSes will  never match.

I would expect it to take longer troubleshooting a migration like this vs a clean install.

Now your only real issues will be Users/Userdata as this information reside in the users.db and library.db.

jerren

Just to try it out i did in fact do a fresh install (new jail too) during all that and i was able to mount my data and point to all the library's. 

But as you just pointed out, i didn't have my user data, which is when i started to go down the rabbithole of how can i keep/migrate that on my own.

makarai

I just recently moved from FreeBSD to a ubuntu VM, and i had to rebuild the library and used the user export import plugin. It worked quite well. Personally FreeBSD always ran for me rock solid and i would have not changed, however I treated myself with a new server that runs proxmox + emby on ubuntu (+ a p2000) and it works great, and it takes stress from my nas.

jerren

I know the plugin is an option but i rather avoid spending money if i don't have to since i don't have a job. I mean i scrounged this machine together out of old parts i can reuse and buying new drives when on sale in the span off 3 years. And since there is an option to do a manual backup i'm really hoping it's a viable method.

Edited by jerren

• 2 weeks later...
jerren

I don't know what happened but for some reason on my current Emby install i no longer have any viewer data, after trying for awhile with the new system i decided to stop and just watch something. All viewer history is gone, users still exist  and for some reason it no longer saw half my library's so i had to readd them ....

Seems trying to move my current Emby files is no longer important :(

Did you accidentally delete something? Please attach the emby server log. Thanks.

jerren

Delete no, copy to the folder yes. Basically it was when i stopped messing with permissions on the new emby.

I noticed that the folder of the original emby didn't have the folders that needed to get copied to the new emby. I figured that that wasn't good and honestly it surprised me that i didn't see anything wrong with the original emby, but i figured that those folders were there for a reason, so i copied the folders back into the original emby folder and told it not to overwrite any files because it had been a couple weeks since i made that backup and i wanted to keep my current viewer data since that was still doing fine.

After that i decided to watch a series, but suddenly no libraries were being shown, so i readded the libraries. At that point i noticed that the view data had dissapeared, no history was there. I went back and copied my backup folders into the emby folder again, this time telling it to overwrite the already excisting files since i rather had weeks old data then no data at all. The result was the same however. I had to readd the libraries and then saw that nothing had any memory of ever being watched.

How the folders when missing in the first place, i don't know. Obvious answer would be that i made a mistake weeks ago and did a cut rather then copy but i've had to restart that machine almost twice a week now because of issues with it and i think this might be another sign that it's failing.

I think in my panic to try and fix it, i did more harm then good...

@cayars

embyserver.txt

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't have the Emby backup plugin installed with a previous backup then in order to keep your watched status and user info you would need to copy over your databases from the Windows 10 machine with Emby stopped on both machines.

You will then need to start the new Emby and reconfigure your libraries and do a full scan and likely refresh of your libraries.

This will recreate your libraries and make use of the watched status that still exists in the databases.