3900X or 1060 3gb for Transcoding

guanweitan

guanweitan

Hi all, im sorry if this topic has been repeated for many times, I've trying search but couldn't get an exact answer for my use case.

I've recently started upgrading my personal pc rig which i'm also using it as my emby server. most of the upgrades have been completed except for the gpu, which i'm holding back till the release of the 30 series nvidia cards.

the cpu installing currently is the ryzen 3900X, and I've still using an gtx 1060 3gb with it. as the pc would be used for gaming + streaming of my media (both locally on network and remotely by my friends), i'm wondering if its best to turn off hardware acceleration for transcoding or to leave it on and let the gpu handle it? my main concern is gpu bottlenecking in cases whereby i'm gaming and there's someone remotely streaming at the same time which will affect the performance for either task.

for now as I've tested when transcoding a 4K HEVC file to H.264 with CRF of 15 and encoding preset at Auto, it takes about 40-60% CPU usage on the 3900X and 50-80% if using the gtx 1060. 

Painkiller8818

Disabling hw transcoding is never a good idea because this means also not to use your CPU. This also is Hardware transcoding Like the Intel Quick sync, i Don't know how it is named with ryzen. 

Software transcode means really just Software, no CPU and no GPU. 

But when enabling hw transcoding you can choose what Hardware should be used on advanced. 

I think in both cases you will run out of upstream speed instead of transcoding Streams :)

guanweitan
1 minute ago, Painkiller8818 said:

Disabling hw transcoding is never a good idea because this means also not to use your CPU. This also is Hardware transcoding Like the Intel Quick sync, i Don't know how it is named with ryzen. 

Software transcode means really just Software, no CPU and no GPU. 

But when enabling hw transcoding you can choose what Hardware should be used on advanced. 

I think in both cases you will run out of upstream speed instead of transcoding Streams :)

Thanks for the reply! Ryzen CPUs (not sure about it's APUs) does not have hardware transcoding like intel does with its quick sync. so in my case turning on hardware transcoding would mean the transcoding would be handled by the GPU while turning it off would be done fully by the raw power of the CPU. 

upstream speed is not an issue since on 1Gbps fibre connection.

Painkiller8818
1 minute ago, guanweitan said:

Thanks for the reply! Ryzen CPUs (not sure about it's APUs) does not have hardware transcoding like intel does with its quick sync. so in my case turning on hardware transcoding would mean the transcoding would be handled by the GPU while turning it off would be done fully by the raw power of the CPU. 

upstream speed is not an issue since on 1Gbps fibre connection.

Ok so i would give it a try and Open a few Browser Tabs and force transcoding. So you can test on your own how many Streams are possible with and without hw transcoding 

guanweitan
Just now, Painkiller8818 said:

Ok so i would give it a try and Open a few Browser Tabs and force transcoding. So you can test on your own how many Streams are possible with and without hw transcoding 

my question was whether i should be using hw transcoding in my case scenario.. not how many streams are possible with and without hw transcoding.

Painkiller8818
2 minutes ago, guanweitan said:

my question was whether i should be using hw transcoding in my case scenario.. not how many streams are possible with and without hw transcoding.

Maybe i don't get the point, but running 10 Streams with hw and with Software will also show your Ressource usage. 

Or do you think you See a difference in quality when transcoding a 8Mbit 1080p stream with hw or Software? 

So what is the exact point of your question if it is not how many Streams and Ressource usage? 

lightsout

I agree the best way is to test. Play a stream with the GPU and then try to game. Do the same on software and try to game.

Either way gaming is going to be impacted. You might be better off with hw acceleration as the GPU should be using the video decoder.

BAlGaInTl
15 hours ago, guanweitan said:

for now as I've tested when transcoding a 4K HEVC file to H.264 with CRF of 15 and encoding preset at Auto, it takes about 40-60% CPU usage on the 3900X and 50-80% if using the gtx 1060. 

This doesn't make sense.  You use more CPU when you hardware transcode, or are you saying that it's 50-80% GPU usage when you use hardware?

I guess that can be read either way.

I would be curious... what are you doing with your upgraded parts, and what are they?  Have you considered building a second rig to be your Emby server?

• 3 weeks later...
mholin

in my optinion, you want to much. Serious gaming needs about all resources in a modern computer. Transcoding movies in realtime does the same (at least during the first 15 seconds of the playback).

In both tasks you may notice lags immediately. Stuttering movies are not watchable. 

I suggest to try both tasks not in the same time. Or setup a midrange computer with the 1060 only for emby in parallel.

bye Michael