Emby transcodes 4K content when played via Emby app on LG 4K TV

ChrisJ60

ChrisJ60

I have Emby server 4.4.3.0 running on macOS 10.15.5. My client is the Emby app on an LG 4K TV (LG-55NANO866NA).

I have a number of 4K MKV files in my library, some with HDR and some without. When I play these files via the Emby app on the TV there is heavy transcoding activity on my server. I am surprised by this as I was expecting these files to use direct play.

Anyone any ideas what is going on here? Is this really how it is meant to behave?

Hi there, did you explore the stats for nerds feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

ChrisJ60

Hi Luke, thanks for that tip. I checked that in the LG TV app and it was a problem with the subtitles. So I removed the subtitles from the file and now it plays fine on the LG TV without transcoding.

Unfortunately removing the subtitles hasn’t fixed the problem for the Apple TV 4K and the app on there doesn’t seem to have the stats for nerds function; is it hidden somewhere? If it truly doesn’t have the function, how else can I figure it out?

Note that even the original files (with subtitles) played fine (no transcoding) in the Emby iOS app on an iPad Pro. So it seems strange that the tvOS app has an issue.

ChrisJ60

In case you wonder why I am suddenly mentioning Apple TV and iPad I thought this reply was to my other post: 

I checked that in the LG TV app and it was a problem with the subtitles.

This isn't a problem, it's just information, telling you that it's transcoding because the LG does not support that format of subtitles.

Regarding Apple TV, we'll help you in that topic. Thanks.

ChrisJ60

Depends on how you define a 'problem'. If you are trying to avoid transcoding a 4K film on the fly then this is surely a problem 🙂

I wonder why it decides to transcode the entire file to fix a problem with the subtitle format when I hadn't even selected any subtitles...

1 hour ago, ChrisJ60 said:

Depends on how you define a 'problem'. If you are trying to avoid transcoding a 4K film on the fly then this is surely a problem 🙂

I wonder why it decides to transcode the entire file to fix a problem with the subtitle format when I hadn't even selected any subtitles...

If the subtitles are not selected then this won't happen.