What is the current state of 4K HDR video support with Emby (server and apps)?

ChrisJ60

ChrisJ60

I'd like to understand what is the current state of support for 4K HDR video with Emby (MKV and MP4/M4V containers).

Does the server support it?

What apps support it? iOS?

What are the limitations?

Thanks,

Chris

Sammy

Good question. Currently it is washed out if transcoded..

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

rbjtech

Direct Plays perfectly on a Shield Pro (up to 90Mbit/sec as that's all I have..) with HDR with TrueHD 7.1 Atmos sound - but there are many caveats.

The main 'culprit' for 4K not playing well on system without HD audio decoders (ie Receivers) is actually the corresponding default True-HD audio track that then forces transcoding/streaming.  If alternative non-HD tracks are available that can be direct played (AC3/DTS) - then emby has little problem playing 4K HDR tbh. 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

ChrisJ60

Okay, that’s generally quite good news then. My experiments with AppleTV 4K playing to an LG 4K TV gave good results. It also seems to play fine on an iPad Pro, but maybe the server is transcoding the audio (I will need to investigate that).

Painkiller8818

Direct play isn't a problem even with Dolby Atmos or DTS:X (if your Player or TV doesn't support that you wouldn't have direct play)

So the only Problem ATM is HDR --> SDR because Emby can't do the tone mapping actually (but plex also don't can do this right now)

And to be honest, 4K is ALWAYS HDR so i would prefere to upload both versions to your storage so the User can choose the Version, no one wants a 4K --> 1080p transcode because the colors will always be like washed out, even if emby will get the HDR--> SDR Tone Mapping to work perfectly, it is never the same like a real person in the Studio can do.

So this would always be like a static HDR with a mean value, and the result is never the same.

I would really recommend to have a 1080p version and a 4K Version on the Server so if a device can't handle 4k, don't fu*k around with it and play the 1080p.

Direct play is working fine.