Use "Sountrack" as Album Artist

n7of9

My music for 'normal' artists are all showing up correctly (in Album, Album Artist, Artist), but Soundtracks tagged with "Soundtrack" as Album Artist and the "Movie Name" as the Artist are not listing under those respective categories (they do show up in Songs and Albums). I have removed and re-tagged everything, first in MP3Tag then in Mediamonkey, but no luck.  Nothing shows up for me in Genres, either, even for 'normal' artists and even though those tags are present in both MediaMonkey and MP3Tag.  I made sure to remove all tags and re-save as ID3v2.3.

Is this expected behaviour for Albums which don't have a uniform Artist? How are Various Artists compilations meant to be added?

Follow up on this. I just started Android Auto - which is my main usage case for using Emby for music - and the tags are and music are showing up in a usable manner. It seems it's reading and listing Folders which is workable, so I'm good with that.  Still, it would be good to get it sorted out properly so Artist/Album Artist are listed correctly on other devices.

dansblackcat

The way I did mine was under Album Artist I have "Various Artists" and I have "soundtrack" as part of the genre.

An example I have would be for the Grease Soundtrack;

Song:  Sandy

Artist:  John Travolta

Album Artist:  Various Artists

Genre:  Pop, Rock, Dance, Soundtrack

Thanks for the input. I don't want 'John Travolta' listed as an Artist with only 1 song, I want Soundtrack showing as both Artist and Album Artist. My tags are clean and correct in how I want them to appear, I'd like to understand why they aren't being listed with the tags I have used.

Hi, after you make changes to audio files using external software please try running a library scan. Thanks.

I already have, multiple times. I've removed the library and re-added, and re-scanned and refreshed.  I started from scratch and matched albums to MusicBrainz in Picard. 

Emby even shows random album art rather than the art I saved in Picard, even though I deselected any Metadata downloaders in Emby. This is extremely frustrating. Can you not just tell us which metadata services to use, or which ID3 tagging software, or where Emby adds its different info from, and at least then we can try to figure out what works best for us?  I don't expect Emby to 'do it all for me' and am happy to adhere to ID or naming conventions, can you tell us what they are?

Hi, we use ffprobe to query for media info, and we have found that it can be picky with id3 versions. For this reason it is best to make sure your tag writing software is writing using all possible id3 versions.

@ginjaninja may have some additional tips.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

dansblackcat

What happens if you uninstall the musicbrainz plugin?

Then refresh metadata for the album and run a scan...

Thanks @Luke and @dansblackcat

This is how I got it working for me.  In Picard:

• Set all of Album Artist / Album Artist Sort Order - to what I wanted
  • Set all of albumgenre / albumgrouping / Genre / Grouping - to what I wanted

In Emby I turned off Musicbrainz and AudioDB metadata downloaders and added my music 1 artist at a time.  Anything I was unhappy with I changed in MP3tag Extended Tags, and for anything really wonky I removed the Musicbrainz codes. 

I am mostly now just using the Folders tab in Emby to choose what I listen to, but Album Artist and Genre are all also correct.  To my original question, I now have my OST's as - Album Artist: Various Artists / Genre: Soundtrack.

You don't need the metadata downloaders in Emby to be on at all if you are pre-tagging your albums. I left the image downloaders on, but that doesn't mess up any music info. Perhaps you can consider having Musicbrainz and AudioDB metadata downloaders deselected by default in Music Library Settings, with a warning noting that turning these on may mess with tags already used and should only be selected if you want Emby to add all your tags for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
MBSki

@Luke Trying to do the same as @n7of9, but can't get it to work. I turned off Musicbrainz and AudioDB metadata downloaders, added my Trolls World Tour soundtrack to the library, and rescanned. I had the Album Artist pre-set to Soundtrack, but somehow it populated with Alexandre Desplat as the Album Artist. Where the heck did it get Alexandre Desplat from? I don't have that name anywhere in my metadata. 

I don't quite understand why it isn't using my local metadata anymore. All my other soundtracks are fine except this one and another that I recently added. How do I get it to act the way it used to? 

image.png.5744943b7769995b1329fc466166a349.png

Edit: I got it working. I ran another scan and it grabbed my local metadata. Then I added the MusicBrainz id (left MusicBrainz and AudioDB downloaders off) and refreshed ONLY missing metadata and images. Now it's back the way it should be.

image.png.5d8d259d97ee605326faeb651a12f9f8.png

Edited by mbarylski

MBSki

I spoke too soon. now all of my other soundtracks are gone. Now it only has the 3 that I refreshed metadata. What is happening here? I can't figure it out.

image.png.c58857ea311ad76eb3452389b489bea9.png

The way I did it was to tag my albums outside of Emby, turn off all metadata downloaders in Emby, and then use Scan Library Files to re-add (and never use Refresh Metadata). My Soundtrack AlbumArtist is 'Various Artists', and the Genre is 'Soundtrack'. I now navigate my music via Folder sort, Album Artist, or Genre. 

• Thanks 1

MBSki

@n7of9 Yea, I think I need to give up on trying to make Album Artist = soundtrack. Genre appears to be the best approach. 

Happy2Play

In the end we would need to see what metadata ffmpeg/ffprobe sees on the tracks.

But yes it can be a pain finding the embedded tag/tags that are providing this information to Emby.  It is usually related to MusicBrainz tags.  All online source will cause this also.

music.jpg.eea913ff56bc3b2ab82a51e8effb72f0.jpg

MBSki
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Did you try running the files through ffprobe?

No, I use mp3tag usually since it has a GUI. Not sure it provides all the metadata that ffprobe does though. In the end I just switched to Genre's. That seemed like the simpler approach.

You won't use ffprobe to edit data but just to take a look at what tags show up in the media.  Like a back door to see what Emby will see tag wise.

mp3tag isn't as good as some other tagging software like Picard because it doesn't typically show you all the tags in the file. So you might think you've edited the file but in fact have only edited one set of tags leaving problem ones still in the file.  ffprobe makes this quite easy to see/find.

PenkethBoy

Sorry this is rubbish - stop posting things you have little to no knowledge about

it doesn't typically show you all the tags in the file

pwhodges

MP3 tag shows me the tags I need;  not only can you select some which are not shown by default, you can add any tag not in its list so long as you know its name.

Paul

1 minute ago, PenkethBoy said:

Sorry this is rubbish - stop posting things you have little to no knowledge about

it doesn't typically show you all the tags in the file

It doesn't show them as well as Picard and is why a lot of people edit files and still keep having problems with Emby reading tags they edit with mp3tag as they don't fix all the tags. A simple ffprobe still shows the problem tags after the new user edit with mp3tag.  With Picard the tags are more in your face and harder to miss.

It's not rubbish and I say that from remotely watching people use mp3tag and failing to resolve their tag issues with it.  Stick Picard in front of them and it's one and done as you'll see all the tags that mp3tag doesn't show by default.

mp3tag can surely be used by people who already know how to use it like yourself but it's not as good for Emby tag issues as Picard for a new users.

I'll stick with what I said that users using Picard have fewer issues editing tags than mp3tag users.