possible to use old dell as server

simzy

So i recently found my old dell latitude 620 when i was cleaning my loft and was wondering if it would be able to handle running as an emby server, currently an Intel Core Duo (06e8), 4gb ram and linux mint 32bit (refuses to load 64bit OS saying cpu cannot use it), all converting would be done prior to being added to the server, its mainly so my mum could watch things on her roku in her bedroom.

mastrmind11

yeah if you're not transcoding anything, you can run emby on something as underpowered as a rpi.  just make sure all your media is direct play compatible with the roku and you're good to go.

30 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Is there a 32-bit version of Emby Server for Linux? You might be stuck with Windows.

No there is not.

rbjtech

There is a point where the effort required to get old hardware running outweighs the benefits - yes it 'may' run but it will be slow or crash and you'll be the one getting the support calls with a frustrated Mum 😉 

For very little money you can buy a half decent 64bit used PC (ex commercial Dell desktops for example) - that is a much better option imo.

well i did also find an old samsung r519 yesterday and got mint 64bit loaded with no problems but i will look into a small desktop, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on number of HDDs you will employ this could always be made into a NAS.