Download a certain version

mattykellyuk

mattykellyuk

Hi 

I would like to be able to download a certain version of a film or TV show but when I choose the version I went and click download it seems to download the other version. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

pwhodges

Although you can override the automatic selection when viewing, I don't think you can for downloading.  This arises from the fact that the facility was originally designed to provide the most appropriate quality version in various circumstances, and those of us using it to select variant versions (such as Director's Cuts) are piggy-backing on a facility which isn't really designed for that.

Paul

neik

Still, I think it would make sense to be able to choose.

Example: You have a 4k and a 1080p version of something and want to download it to your phone in 720p (equals 4Mbps).

In this case you probably do not want Emby to transcode the 4k version as it would take way longer.

One remark: As I only have one version of each file I do not know for sure how this is being handled right now, it's just my thoughts on it.

pwhodges

At present you follow the specified naming convention - the two or more versions of the film are placed in the same directory, and their names are the same as that directory with an extra bit to tag the various versions.  When playing the film, by default Emby will use the best version (in terms of resolution and bandwidth) that it believes the connection will support - but you can override this on the information screen for the film by selecting from a dropdown:

versions.jpg.eb32e04f94056c62ce8a984982d05d47.jpg

However, there is no option to make this selection when downloading, as far as I can see.  You can select a quality to download, though, and I suppose Emby will select a version that suits if available, or transcode one of them (which? I don't know) if required to meet the specified quality.

Paul 

mattykellyuk

Yeah my use is a 4k version for home viewing and smaller version for streaming when out or by friends. So I would want to download that smaller version to my tablet for watching while travelling etc. 

Thanks for your help so seems like it's not possible at the moment

• 2 weeks later...