mka file with dts and flac inside

huoc

Hi!

I have an .mka file with two audio tracks inside, a .dts and a .flac track (and some pdf, png, txt, cue). They are the same music, but the flac is stereo while the dts is 5.1. I would like to keep both versions and listen to both on a stereo and on a multichannel system respectively. I extracted the tracks with mkvectract, tha flac plays fine, and while the dts is recognised by emby, I cant seem to play it on my receiver.

How should I store these for emby to be able to play them?  (in one file, if possible, without recoding, if possible and with tagging and art, if possible)

Thank you in advance.

12 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes this is possible, but you just won't be able to switch audio.

Thank you for your answer.

I wonder if I can change the audio track in an mkv container, I could also in an mka, right?

So what do you suggest would be the preferred way to store multitrack music audio files like this?

4 hours ago, huoc said:

Thank you for your answer.

I wonder if I can change the audio track in an mkv container, I could also in an mka, right?

Yes it is technically possible, but we haven't looked at this for audio files yet so that's why I'm saying you would not be able to change tracks.

rbjtech

An option is to simply demux the MKA into two separate tracks - using ffmpeg or a multitude of other tools out there ...

ffmpeg -i "input.mka" -map 0:a:0 -codec:a copy flac.mka

This will copy the first track from 'input.mka' and write it to flac.mka

ffmpeg -i "input.mka" -map 0:a:1 -codec:a copy dts.mka

This will copy the second track from 'input.mka' and write it to dts.mka

Edited by rbjtech

Thanks a lot for the answers!

I experimented around a bit, extracted all tracks in different configurations. But I hit another wall. neither mka, nor dts files can be sent to my receiver via dlna. so no matter how I store these files, I need to use my kodi box with embuary to play these files. I cannot just use my phone with the emby app to browse my music collection and play the album on my receiver :(

I could extract the DTS-HD MA track to multichanel flacs (and this is what I am actually going to do, so I will have two sets of flacs, one set stereo and one set multichannel). Unfortunately multichannel flacs do not seem to be transferred via dlna either... But then I can use the Kore app on my phone to have Kodi browse my emby library via embuary and play the multichannel flacs via hdmi (from the Kodi box to the receiver). Not the most elegant thing to do, but it works...

On a sidenote, I did the same with my original mka file having a stereo flac and a DTS-HD MA track. If I try to play it using Kore remote, my Kodi box locks up for like 2 minutes then nothing happens, If I turn on my projector and use the Kodi box directly to play the mka, then it works perfectly, I can change between the two tracks, both are played wonderfully.