Best player to have less problems possible

Hyp3rD

Hyp3rD

Hi, I’m looking for the best player to put on my tv that working the best and flawless. I know that Google will launch Sabrina, FireTV seem not bad too and the ShieldTV that cost a lot.

What’s your recommandation for a 4K application?

ShieldTV seem very popular, but seem to have some flaws, make me hesitate, principally because of his high price tag...

Thanks!

Gilgamesh_48

I do NOT recommend the Shield TV unless everything in your setup is the latest and greatest. I have an older receiver and my TV is passing through just simple stereo and on some newer files the audio just will not play correctly. It has reached the point where I am about to give up on getting audio to play correctly on my setup through my Shield. Everything works fine on my Rokus and my Fires and on my computers. It is only the Shield that is screwed up.

I think your best bet would be a Fire 4K or a Roku Ultra.

I use Rokus 95% of the time but I do not use or need 4K or advanced audio. My Roku Ultra is as close to flawless for my use as it gets.

• Like 2

Sammy

HTPC is still the king!

ShieldTV isa close second.

MiBox s works pretty good.

Roku Express is $30.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Hyp3rD
HTPC is still the king!

ShieldTV isa close second.

MiBox s works pretty good.

Roku Express is $30.

What do you use in a HTPC setup to be « user friendly » for non high-tech people on the house?

Sammy

Emby Theater and a WMC remote.

If you need a remote, send me a PM.

tdiguy

adamstewiegreen

My FireTV (not 4k - don't ask me which version, I can't keep up.  It's not the stick though) has been reliable and plays most things natively.  My only issues with it have nothing to do with Emby and don't effect Emby.

I will say, that Kodi doesn't run all that well on it (if you're going to run Emby from Kodi).

Deathsquirrel

Use a Shield if you want direct playback with a decent UI and none of the hassle of maintaining or using a HTPC.

Use a HTPC if you don't care about ease of use, ease of maintenance, or cost and just want the best possible video output.  You might choose either Emby Theater or Kodi as the player in this scenario, though I strongly prefer the former.

Use a Roku if you want a dead-easy UI for users you're going to have to support and want to minimize issues.

IMO that's the full list of good options.

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got several Emby clients for testing and using and would say the Android TV client is tops as far as features go.

Shield TV is money is of no concern or you have weird formats and need the widest playback support.

MiBox S if money is tighter or you need to do several clients.

If you aren't running advanced apps and just want Emby, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc then the MiBox S is hard to top based on features per $ you get.  In some ways I prefer it over the shield TV.

The MiBox S is available on Amazon Prime and I just ordered another while thinking about it as I was typing this.  This was to replace one I "bricked" while trying some advanced stuff and messed up. :(

Roughly speaking the MiBox S is 1/3 the price the of the Shield TV with 90 to 100% of the features depending on how you use it.  I have one system with a Samsung 75" TV with soundbar that occasionally has sound glitch issues with the Shield TV that plays back perfectly 100% of time with MiBox S so...

The MiBox S for most people is the best box for the money IMHO.