artist listed twice in album artist folder

jhs39
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

jhs39

I was trying to clean up the album artist folders for my collection.  I noticed that some artists (Peter Gabriel; The Go-Betweens; The Gas; The Hollies; Puffy) have two artist entries that contain the same albums.  There are also two folders (OST-Original Soundtrack & Various Artist Corp.) that don't seem to correspond to any music in my collection.  Is there a way to deleted the duplicate and empty artist listings?  I tried deleting from  C:\Users\hp\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists but that didn't work and in some cases I couldn't even find a folder for my artist.  For instance, in my album artist folder I have two entries for Puffy but in the above folder there aren't any entries for Puffy at all--just one for PuffyAmiYumi, which is another name for the same duo but not one I'm using in my artist folder.  There is also no entry at all for Peter Gabriel.  There are some artists that have two entries in the roaming folder (77's & 77s) but only one in the album artist folder.

Is there a way for me to clean up my album artist folder? 

• Solution

don't worry about the folder, instead clean up the tags in your audio files so that they all match

• Like 1

jhs39

It was the tags for The Gas, The Hollies and Peter Gabriel--I found small differences that I missed the first time I checked the tags.  Puffy I'm still not seeing what's different--all the tags look the same to me.  I'll try again later with fresh eyes.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• 3 months later...
ginjaninja

There is a bug currently,

when separate content (id3 tags) matches to the same musicbrainz id...2 objects are created in MB3 music library. However  only the content pertaining to one of the content.id3 tags shows up under both objects.

Sometimes it is a slight difference in the id3tag (accented character on/off)  and sometimes its a mistake in the auto matching....either way it is difficult to track down because the offending content often isnt the one shown so the user has no idea what created it.

Solutions

1. Use mp3tag to filter on id3tags on and around the strings involved to see if you can find id3tags which are slightly different for the same artist (quicker/simpler)

2. remove the content which is shown under the object temporarily..rescan library...the remaining content which was also matching will be shown..highlighting the files with incorrect id3tags or incorrectly matched id3tags..correct via mp3tag......return your temporarily removed content to the library. (fail safe if 1 doesnt work)

any update on this, I am getting duplicates for The black eyed peas, showing album art in the image by name folder and my music directory.

I think the issue is more that MBS is not very forgiving about inconsistencies with tag data. I've looked over it many times and I don't believe there's an MBS issue. I think it's more likely that there are tag inconsistencies and then they get imported into MBS, and in MBS it's not very easy to spot them.

ginjaninja

I think the issue is more that MBS is not very forgiving about inconsistencies with tag data. I've looked over it many times and I don't believe there's an MBS issue. I think it's more likely that there are tag inconsistencies and then they get imported into MBS, and in MBS it's not very easy to spot them.

Hi Luke,

The problem is shown/precipitated by tag inconsistencies - if by inconsistencies you mean similar (intended to be identical) but not identical. (but also tags which are not intended to be identical but which MBS matches to the same artist/mbzid?)

The problem is indeed also that from a remedial point of view, MB3 makes it difficult to spot the inconsistencies.

but the underlying problem imo is that MB3 (database / schema / SQL calls?) allows two artist objects with the same name..(then both showing the same content)....

and all the while not showing the content pertaining to the similar/inconsistent id3 tag (at least not under the artist objects that exist because of the similar/inconsistent id3 tags.)

Presumably

1.  It can not be 'intended'  that the library lists two artist objects with the same display name.(multiple peoples have reported this)..

2. both showing the same track content. (multiple peoples have reported this) And between the two not showing ALL the track content pertaining to what caused the two objects in the first place. 

3. I believe the nature/existence of the issue is most proven by the solution 2..(this method has helped others find the incorrect tags).. if you remove the content which is showing under the two identical artists and rescan you will be left with  the alternative content showing under (now 1) artist of that same name (which you previously could not see under either of the artist objects of that same name),

im going to see if i can make the issue happen...ive certainly fixed this issue for myself and others...then you will be able to reproduce it.

ginjaninja

OK so to reproduce the problem..

1. make a copy of an album (folder) in a temp folder....I used 'Céline Dion' - 'best ballads' - W:\Music\Céline Dion\(1996) Best Ballads

2. on the copy in temp, using mp3tag edit the artist an albumartist tags to 'Celine Dion' (without the accented e) for all tracks..change the album name to 'Best Tests'..change the folder name to  (1996) Best Tests.

3. Move the altered album (folder) back into music collection under folder...'Céline Dion'..W:\Music\Céline Dion\(1996) Best Tests

4. Rescan the library

results you will have two 'Céline Dion' artist (and albumartist) objects and neither will be showing 'best tests'.

if your search for 'best tests' the test album is returned...belonging to 'Celine Dion' (without accented e)

If you click 'Celine Dion' (hyperlink after searching /click on 'best tests' you will be taken to one of the 'Céline Dion' (with accented e)..but 'Best Tests' will not show.

Two album artist objects are

http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/web/itembynamedetails.html?id=f84d2905749817fdaac00eab9e5cc8de&context=music&topParentId=ad14e238b35e6a32a39d2ef9c1a779f3

http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/web/itembynamedetails.html?id=83fd887d1e187610c3cefba4312e1eb2&context=music&topParentId=ad14e238b35e6a32a39d2ef9c1a779f3

Note - FWIW the 1st url shows artist genres = ballad/pop (the genres pertaining to the tracks with album artist 'Céline Dion' (with accented e)), the 2nd url shows artist genres = ballad/pop/compilation (the genres pertaining to tracks the artist 'Céline Dion' (with accented e))***

The url when viewing the artist from navigating from content pertaining to/precipitated by  'Céline Dion' (with accented e)

http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/web/itembynamedetails.html?context=music&musicartist=C%C3%A9line+Dion&context=music

The url when viewing the artist from navigating from content pertaining to/precipated by  'Celine Dion' (without accented e)

http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/web/itembynamedetails.html?context=music&musicartist=Celine+Dion&context=music

This is probably not correct analysis and complete guesswork...but its as if MB3 is on one level aware of the second ID3tag 'Celine Dion' and her content...but when viewed through the dashboard ..the second tag is confused with the 1st ..and the 1st display name, mbzid and associated content. The dashboard cant see 2nd objects (objects pertaining to similar tags) (i always presumed it was 2nd objects with the same mbzid but this is a guess).

*** When i also change the genre of the test album 'Best Tests' to 'TestGenre' and rescan.

The first album artist URL then shows genres for the artist as ballad/pop/testgenre..the 2nd url shows genres ballad/pop/compilation,

perhaps next ill create content/a  3rd artist 'Céliné Dion' - with 2 accented es and see if there is a 3rd object created.

Edited by ginjaninja
  • Like 1

ginjaninja

when i create a 3rd album for  'Céliné Dion' - with 2 accented es..called 'Worst Test' with genre 'worstgenre'.

I do indeed get three album artist objects all called 'Céline Dion' as before...all showing the content for 'Céline Dion' but not the other similar tags.

the 1st has genre, Ballad  /  Pop  /  testBallad  /  worstgenre

the 2nd has genre Ballad  /  Pop  /  Compilation

the 3rd has genre Ballad  /  Pop  /  Compilation

so it seems the content from similar tags is getting muddled up in the 1st but not being shown

the 2nd and 3rd are placeholders intended for the two other similar tags but they dont get shown here.

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

interesting the latest music view is correct, it shows the distinct similar artist names...so perhaps its not an issue with the schema but simply the artist views are faulty.

also when i removed the mbzid and audiodb id from the 2nd artist object...the distinct display name are now showing in the artist/album artist view...and the correct content (albums and tracks) showing underneath with the correct genre.

strangely removing the ids for the 3rd albumartist objects didnt have a similarly positive effect. (in terms of showing the correctly named and segregated content)

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

@@Luke

Hi Luke

does the above help to identify the scope/nature of the potential issue...

just wanted to check you have seen the posts as i am hopeful the above shines light...

• 5 years later...
go2amp

This is still an issue, 6 years later.  I have 5 artist folders for Motorhead and Doobie Brothers despite tags for all albums being the same.  Sometimes I have a folder that has only a single song from the artist in a folder, while other songs on same album are being listed properly in a "main" artist folder.

Why doesn't all metadata at a folder level propagate downward to the tracks?  It's ridiculous to have to hand edit metadata on a single track to prevent a whole new artist folder.