Emby not purging old XMLTV files (Large Cache folder)

mrnoodle

mrnoodle

Hey, I just wanted to report a bug for live tv guide.

Emby is not purging old live tv guide data located in the folder listed below. I have my guide data set to refresh hourly and I have mass amounts of old xmltv cache stored and must be deleted weekly as it is taking up 80GB of space after 14 days.

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\cache\xmltv

Until this feature gets added or fixed here are a couple things you can do:

Delete the old files manualy.

or

Write a script to automatically delete files in that location after "X" amount of days and run it through task scheduler. 

If you would like to setup the automatic method follow the link below.

https://pureinfotech.com/delete-files-older-than-days-windows-10/

Happy2Play

A dev will have to comment more but there is a "Cache file cleanup" task that runs daily, but I believe only removes items older than 30 days old.

Cache file cleanup

4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

A dev will have to comment more but there is a "Cache file cleanup" task that runs daily, but I believe only removes items older than 30 days old.

Cache file cleanup

Yes that's correct. We can look at improving this for xmltv though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 8:45 PM, mrnoodle said:

Hey, I just wanted to report a bug for live tv guide.

Emby is not purging old live tv guide data located in the folder listed below. I have my guide data set to refresh hourly and I have mass amounts of old xmltv cache stored and must be deleted weekly as it is taking up 80GB of space after 14 days.

Curious, why are you refreshing your guide data hourly vs daily?  What guide provider are you using?

If you switch to daily updates you would have 24 times less data sitting there. :)

• 4 weeks later...
mrnoodle
On 7/8/2020 at 12:35 PM, cayars said:

Curious, why are you refreshing your guide data hourly vs daily?  What guide provider are you using?

If you switch to daily updates you would have 24 times less data sitting there. :)

Hey sorry for the late reply,

one of my providers likes to refresh their m3u links every few hours, which I’m guessing makes it harder to share the direct stream address as they are constantly rolling. To accommodate their weird system I have it updating on an hourly interval to eliminate down time so I can watch whenever and not worry about updating it manually. I’ve have only noticed one provider do this out of all that I have used. With that being said having multi providers the XMLtv builds up pretty fast.

Not sure of your exact needs but if you aren't using all the channels but only certain language or certain country you may want to check out xTeVe that you setup between Emby and your provider. It can pull down your list and manipulate it removing channels you don't want, reorganize you lists, combine multiple providers, allow you to group things (premium channels first, sports next, news after that, etc and even allow you to reassign channel numbers.

Emby then pulls directly from xTeVe with your custom channel list.  This first of all allows you to manage your IPTV so much easier but also reduce the channels and get rid of things you don't want or need. That also means Emby has far less to processes and doesn't take up nearly the amount of space on disc to process the M3U files.  WIN, WIN, WIN

mrnoodle
5 hours ago, cayars said:

Not sure of your exact needs but if you aren't using all the channels but only certain language or certain country you may want to check out xTeVe that you setup between Emby and your provider. It can pull down your list and manipulate it removing channels you don't want, reorganize you lists, combine multiple providers, allow you to group things (premium channels first, sports next, news after that, etc and even allow you to reassign channel numbers.

Emby then pulls directly from xTeVe with your custom channel list.  This first of all allows you to manage your IPTV so much easier but also reduce the channels and get rid of things you don't want or need. That also means Emby has far less to processes and doesn't take up nearly the amount of space on disc to process the M3U files.  WIN, WIN, WIN

I do use Xteve and I still have issues with that one provider rolling the URL to the video streams they become dead links after so many hours. If I manually download the m3u from that provider and compare them With one a few hours before none of the stream links match up. I even tried using them individually with vlc and the links no longer exist. I have xteve updating offset by 30 min (1:30,2:30,3:30..) and emby on every hour (1:00,2:00,3:00...) so it is forced to download a fresh working m3u. Emby will not update revised m3u unless the update live tv task is run.

That's unfortunate to have trouble like this due to one provider.  Let me guess, they have unique channels you can't get elsewhere?

mrnoodle
On 8/6/2020 at 10:09 AM, cayars said:

That's unfortunate to have trouble like this due to one provider.  Let me guess, they have unique channels you can't get elsewhere?

I can get them elsewhere but there is a package deal I get with my main and a few channels that the main doesn’t have the second one fills in for only a few dollars more per month. When they fix the purge timing (I haven’t checked if it’s fixed yet) I will be all set but it isn’t a huge deal if you know how to setup automatic clean ups through command line and task scheduler it’s maintenance free. I was just looking for a smooth resolution so nobody else will have to go through trying to figure out where their storage is filling up.

• Like 1