Nvidia Shield, buffering with 4k HDR content

CB52CAM

CB52CAM

Hello, 

I'm running into an issue where 4k HDR content is buffering on my Nvidia Shield, its all local content so its not taking it from the internet. 

The only thing i notice different is that some content is "direct playing" and the one that buffers is "Direct Streaming" both types of content appear to be the same, both are MKV. 

i will be spending most of my day tomorrow to try and figure out what could be causing these issues, so any help would be appreciated. for reference 1080p content plays perfectly with no issues at all. 

i have attached a couple of logs, but to be honest they don't really mean anything to me. 

Hoping someone can help. 

Cheers 

ffmpeg-transcode-1b99ea71-13fc-4ab0-9354-c35cf17dd328_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-98a1e389-9be4-4657-9fb6-adc38226c6d9_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a17ac23c-0352-4e70-92d5-c0d573e1ed23_1.txt

Hi there, can you please try lowering the in app quality setting? Please see if that helps. Thanks.

Hi. It looks like an error is causing a transcode and your server just isn't quite fast enough to be able to transcode this item.

Can you follow the instructions to send a log from the app after playing the item from the first ffmpeg log for just a few seconds?

CB52CAM
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, can you please try lowering the in app quality setting? Please see if that helps. Thanks.

Hey Luke, i lowered the quality to 40mbps but then the image was completely washed out. 

9 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. It looks like an error is causing a transcode and your server just isn't quite fast enough to be able to transcode this item.

Can you follow the instructions to send a log from the app after playing the item from the first ffmpeg log for just a few seconds?

hey EBR, i'm actually unable to open that link, unfortunately its asking for a username and password. 

Hope to hear back from you soon. 

vdatanet

If HDR content is transcoded, then colors are washed out because HDR is lost. 

To send log, try this link:

You have to enable "Debug options" in Android TV app and then, click on "Send log" after playing the item just a few seconds.

CB52CAM
9 hours ago, Luke said:

I have lowered the quality on a different movie (still 4k HDR) however it has made no change. 

9 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi EBR, I have sent the log, so it seems now that "Midway" is now direct playing (still buffering) and Harry Potter is Direct Streaming (still buffering) 

15 minutes ago, CB52CAM said:

Hi EBR, I have sent the log

Hi.  The instructions included some more information to provide... :)

• Sad 1

CB52CAM
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The instructions included some more information to provide... :)

Hi, I am unable to follow the instructions as I can't acsess your link. 

Screenshot_20200618-123114.jpg

CB52CAM

I got it nevermind, 

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem

Watching Midway and Harry potter half blood prince, both content buffer and pause while playing. I have a direct play error when playing Harry Potter. (attached) 

• The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)

Around 06:00 

• The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Local user - Cameron / Family. 

I have connected a ethernet cable instead WiFi to see if that improves things. 

IMG_20200618_120029.jpg

CB52CAM

"too many errors, giving up" 

Another log sent: 

Watching Harry Potter: DH P1, Film played fine until it just kicked me out to the menu and now it won't play at all. 

Sent at 06:55 UTC-5 

local user - Family. 

IMG_20200618_125338.jpg

CB52CAM

Also now seeing the attached. 

Another log sent 

Error seen when navigating the UI. 

06:58 Utc-5 

15924814466415514707150550431791.jpg

CB52CAM

*update* 

Still buffering on ethernet 

Transcode position is way ahead of the playback position so I really can't understand what's happening. 

Screenshot_20200618-151718.jpg

Hi.  Your server is running out of disc space.

System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: There is not enough space on the disk.

• Like 1

CB52CAM

Yes I believe that was the cause yesterday for the volley error and server crash. 

But I have since free'd up 60gb and I am still unable to playback 4k HDR content without it stopping constantly. 

Im really at a loss here. 

Do you want me to try again now and send another log if it happens? 

BAlGaInTl

Could it be a network issue?

I know you've tried WiFi and ethernet, but maybe there is another issue?  

Router? Bad Cable? Crappy switch?

What's the rest of your network look like?

CB52CAM

It's entirely possible yes.

Is there any way I could easily test this? We are just using our generic ISP supplied router and extender. (I know. Don't shame me) 

2 hours ago, CB52CAM said:

Still stopping: 

Another log sent from the shield at 09:25 UTC-5 

Can you attach the server log as well? Thanks.

CB52CAM

My dad is litteraly 3 days a way from selling the Nvidia Shield and Abolishing Emby forever. 

If it's my network thats the issue, is there any suggestions on how to fix this, currently using the ISP router and extender. 

If it's Emby, why? 

If it's shield, why? 

Hope we can get this sorted asap. 

I'm not sure at this point.  Your two previous failures were easily explained - one was the server not being able to transcode fast enough and the other was the server running out of disc space.

Have you tried setting the app to 20Mb and seeing if things play smoothly at that rate?