Roku Update - Collections Display

JohnnyM

JohnnyM

This afternoon I was watching a movie when the movie frozen, then Roku rebooted. When it came back to life the Emby Roku app had updated.

I picked up where it left off and played the rest of the movie perfectly. The problem is the display of movies in a collection. Since the update now displays the movies horizontally with only 3 movies on showing without scrolling. The box surrounding the movie poster is laid out is landscape with the poster a portrait inside. What a waste of space. 

Can't this layout issue be fixed

• Like 7

The issue at hand here is that collections can contain multiple types of media. Each type has its preferred display method: portrait, landscape, or square. Now when these items "hit the grid" it means they must display as a clean line of items. So there are clear margins (at the edges of the rows), and gutters (the space between rows), and tabs (the space between items on rows). To keep your eye from freaking out each item must be the same size. This means out of aspect ratio items will be padded with black space. This was frowned upon when presented as an entire grid.

Now the items present themselves initially as a row listing each type of media inside the collection: Movies, Shows, Episodes, Etc..

You want the grid look rather and that is normal seeing as all your items are the same type. It is only when multiple types are present in a collection that we must show the row list. But if you have 30 or fewer items (the amount that can fit in a row at a time) and we know we reached the total record count we could possibly throw these directly to the grid when it is a singular collection type. We can for each through a low count like 30 items and make sure the type is the same and know which way to go. But with more than 30 we do not know what items exist. We give the server a start index and count we want. Beyond that we get a total record count to know how many exist outside our scope of what we received. We know nothing about the items beyond what we fetched we just know how many exist.

It makes this harder to do with collections with hundreds of items and when they change in type within a collection so the decision was made to sort them by type.

We can probably get this to go to grid with rows that populate entirely(30 or under of a single type) to make these easier to digest. Stay tuned...

Edited by speechles

JohnnyM

If I understand you correctly, I will get the display I want if no single collection contains more than 30 items.

I have 2 collections that have more than 30 items so I deleted them and rescanned the database thinking that the display will change.

The results are the same, can only see three items before I have to scroll right.

422571339_CollectionDisplay.thumb.jpg.ae60c06d0a78e28aa5aaff099ee17c71.jpg

• Like 4

gmusgrave

I too was surprised by the update... my collections used to be a nice, navigable grid, and are now a single horizontal line showing three items at once. This is virtually unusable!

My collections are all of the same type of media, and I desperately want my grid view back.

We always open a collection (for example, current TV shows), and browse the grid to see what we want to watch next. This was a beautiful, intuitive, and functional interface that has now become unusable.

One more thing that changed for the worse (dropped back, actually): the number of episodes shown on the folder in the collection view used to diminish by one each time you watched an episode. Now you need to exit the collection and re-enter to update this number (this is how it used to be a long time ago – we've regressed!).

Please fix these issues!

Thank you.

• Like 5

cstorey1

I've sadly had to turn collections off due to this change. It's an annoyance, but not as much as losing the grid layout.

I somewhat understand the reasoning due to mixed media, but I'd venture a guess that's a smaller number of users than those of us who just group a category like "Movies" into collections so we don't have to see 9 Star Wars or 3 John Wicks or 300 Fast and Furious titles in the initial category.

• Like 3

Lane03

Very pleased to see that changes will be made to collections, as the single row is brutal and different from how Emby works on other platforms (eg: Android App).

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I know you guys are waiting for an update to improve this but I also want to ask.

Have you checked the resolution being used on the Roku?  Is it set to 720 or 1080?

I've helped a couple of people who changed the resolution to 1080 and had much better GUI experience.

Not a fix but worth a look if you know you have a 1080 or better TV.

SkagBol

I want to pile on here as well. The change to the collection display is unusable. It worked good before so why not just put it back the way it was.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
JohnnyM

Just brought up Roku Beta 4.0.7 and the Collections Display of the detail is back to the grid view.

Thank you and the personnel who fix it

• Like 2

gmusgrave

Good news, but how do we get the 4.0.7 Beta?

Edited by gmusgrave

gmusgrave

Thanks for the link! I installed it, and it's almost back to the way it was... thank you to all the Emby for Roku developers who restored the grid view – a tremendous improvement.

Just one thing... as I mentioned in my first post, the unwatched episodes count on the series poster in the main grid view used to automatically decrement after you watched an episode, and returned to the grid view. Now you have to exit the collection and then re-enter to update it. A niggly thing, but can you please add this to the list of features to restore?

Thanks again!

Edited by gmusgrave