Update 4.4.3.0-1 broke ASS embedded subtitles for me

crippah

crippah

Hi there,

I've been using Emby for a while now without issues. After update 4.4.3.0-1 my ASS embedded subtitles stopped working. 
The video struggles to show the subtitles as it takes about 2 - 3 minutes for the subtitles to start showing up. 
After the subtitles show up, the video starts lagging, flickering and has short freezes. Also sometimes the subtitles will freeze completely while the video continues.
Videos using external SRT files work fine without issues. Synology Video Station / Plex both work without issues. 
Weird thing is that when I play the video on my Android App it works fine. When I play the video in the browser or chromecast it does not. 

I've tried the following solutions:

Disabled transcoding (because I thought it might be forced transcodig and the server can't handle that)
Disabled on the fly subtitle extract
Reinstalled Emby
Reinstalled my Synology NAS

NAS: DS216j

Thank you kindly for the help 😇

Edited by crippah

Disabled transcoding (because I thought it might be forced transcodig and the server can't handle that)
Disabled on the fly subtitle extract

Yes if you disable both of these then there is a good chance you will have problems.

crippah
On 6/16/2020 at 4:56 PM, Luke said:

Yes if you disable both of these then there is a good chance you will have problems.

As I stated above, I tried this as a solution and it did not work (normally these are enabled).
Uploaded the logs.

Edited by crippah

• 2 weeks later...

If the file names for the video and the SRT file vidmate don't match, if the subtitle track is disabled or if the program doesn't support the correct encoding

Edited by 6zayn

7 hours ago, 6zayn said:

If the file names for the video and the SRT file don't match, if the subtitle track is disabled or if the program doesn't support the correct encoding

Hi there, are you asking a question?

• 2 weeks later...
crippah

It's still not working. All video files work fine with SRT embedded subtitles but do not work with ASS embedded subtitles. Currently HorribleSubs anime videos with ASS embedded subtitles do not work.

Currently I'm just extracting the ASS subtitles and converting them to SRT and that works for me.

Edited by crippah

crippah

Another update: I tried using Synology Video Station and to my surprise it worked flawlessly with embedded ASS mkv files. Very strange.

5 hours ago, crippah said:

Another update: I tried using Synology Video Station and to my surprise it worked flawlessly with embedded ASS mkv files. Very strange.

Can you please supply the information I requested in post #2? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
crippah

I'm sorry. I did not get a response for a while so I thought this post was forgotten. Logs included from a fresh install of emby on my PC instead of my Synology NAS.

embyserver.txt

Edited by crippah
Updated server log

• 2 months later...

@Luke I forced the update manually and I tried running an Anime Episode with embedded ASS subtitles. Again the subtitles did not show for 35 seconds. After that the video stopped for a couple of seconds and started lagging and stuttering.

On 11/3/2020 at 6:51 AM, crippah said:

@Luke I forced the update manually and I tried running an Anime Episode with embedded ASS subtitles. Again the subtitles did not show for 35 seconds. After that the video stopped for a couple of seconds and started lagging and stuttering.

Would you mind providing a new log example from the latest version? Thanks.

• 4 months later...
crippah

Hi Luke, sorry for the late response again. This time Emby kept crashing for me during videoplay. I decided to buy a better NAS te see if that solves it. The DS216j from Synology is a very slow NAS with only 512 MB RAM. I bought a DS220+ with 6 GB of RAM and going to see if the problems are over for me and I can continue using Emby because I still prefer the UI layout and functions of Emby over other software solutions. Thank you for your patience. 

crippah

Hi Luke, installed the DS220+ today and same problems. I can't even stream videos to the chromecast anymore. It just stops the video after about 5 minutes of playing and goes back to chromecast homescreen. Tried about 20 different movies and they all stop after 5 minutes.

Edit: I noticed on both the 216j and the 220+ that after running the emby server it shows as "stopped" but the server is still adressable. Might be a bug with DSM ?

Edited by crippah

It just stops the video after about 5 minutes of playing and goes back to chromecast homescreen.

I would suggest lowering the in-app chromecast quality setting. Usually this is a sign that the bitrate is too high for the network connection.