Unable to alter collections via editing folder

crusher11

crusher11

I had all my collections sorted out on my Windows install, with some films as actual video files and some films as stubs, in a separate folder. When I moved over to my NAS, I simply did a find-and-replace on the XML files which linked the existing  video files to existing video files, and the stubs to the address at which a video file would eventually be created.

That way, I could periodically drag the XML files into the correct folder, and it would update and things would automatically be added to the correct collections.

It doesn't work, as when I make the change the actual display doesn't alter, even though the XML file itself contains new movies.

For example: I had the Psycho Legacy box set collection on my old server. Psycho and Psycho II were video files, in Server/Movies/P/Psycho and Server/Movies/P/Psycho II. The rest of the films were stubs, in Server/Stubs/P/Psycho III, etc etc. The collection file linked to all of them. I did a find-and-replace on the XML file to change Server/Movies and Server/Stubs to NAS/Movies, and to change the DISC extension to MKV. Thus, when I do create the files for the sequels the collection file will recognise them.

I just added the sequels. They're there, in the correct location. I deleted the Psycho Legacy Collection folder from the Collections folder, and dragged over the one from my Windows setup, and ran a scan. But still, when viewing in Emby the first two movies are the only ones that show up in the collection. If I open the XML file that's on the server, it shows entries for the sequels as well.

Hi, the paths in the xml files need to exactly match the paths used in Emby library setup, and also make sure to run a library scan after editing them.

We'd have to go over a specific example to learn exactly what you did. Thanks.

Happy2Play

Do the added items appear in Movies outside the Collection?  Sounds like a scan or path issue still.

If they appear in Movies or Search can you add the items via add to collection?

crusher11

They do, but I'd rather not add 900 movies back into their collections manually when I have already-completed XML files.

• 3 weeks later...

We'd really have to see more specifics, contents of files, exact steps you took, etc. That's why it's hard to help you right now with the information given.

Happy2Play

The exact steps i took manually adding a item to an collection.xml.

Choose any random movie

Open Any already made collection in "Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections" folder

Add path to of said random item to the collection you choose within  <CollectionItems> and hit save .

<CollectionItems>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Multi Version Library\12 Rounds (2009)\12 Rounds (2009) - 1080p.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Multi Version Library\12 Rounds 2, Reloaded (2013)\12 Rounds 2, Reloaded (2013) - 1080p.disc</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Multi Version Library\12 Rounds 3, Lockdown (2015)\12 Rounds 3, Lockdown (2015) - 2160p.disc</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
	<CollectionItem>
      <Path>C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Movies - nfo\Test 2\2 Guns (2013) [Comedy-Action]\2 Guns (2013) [Comedy-Action] - UHD.mp4</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
  </CollectionItems>

Go to Collections library and Scan Library Files.

Done movie appear in the collection.  Item was from a different path and library. 

What should I do differently?

crusher11

I don't follow. 

As I said it's my old Windows install collections. I copied them over to my NAS install and scanned, but nothing happened. Deleting the collections library and recreating it causes the collections to show up. 

On 7/8/2020 at 5:22 PM, Luke said:

We'd really have to see more specifics, contents of files, exact steps you took, etc. That's why it's hard to help you right now with the information given.

crusher11

I don't understand how much more specific you think I can be.

1. I have collections backed up from a Windows install.
2. I copied those collections into the correct folder via WinSCP.
3. I ran a scan.
4. Nothing happened.
5. I deleted the Collections library.
6. I picked a movie at random and added it to a new collection.
7. This caused the Collections library to be created again.
8. My Windows-install collections showed up.

I'm still adding movies to my NAS, and every time I want to update the collections I go through the same steps: copy them over via WinSCP, run a scan, nothing happens, delete the library, create a collection, everything shows up.

PenkethBoy

sounds like you are not setting the permissions on the collections so emby can see them after you copy them across from windows

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

I don't understand how much more specific you think I can be.

1. I have collections backed up from a Windows install.
2. I copied those collections into the correct folder via WinSCP.
3. I ran a scan.
4. Nothing happened.
5. I deleted the Collections library.
6. I picked a movie at random and added it to a new collection.
7. This caused the Collections library to be created again.
8. My Windows-install collections showed up.

I'm still adding movies to my NAS, and every time I want to update the collections I go through the same steps: copy them over via WinSCP, run a scan, nothing happens, delete the library, create a collection, everything shows up.

To me this scenario is to be expected from a manual restore process.

If the \root\default\collections library does not exist it will not read the \data\collections folder.  This is why you have to manually create one collection for Emby to see all backed up collections.

So you can not just drop in \data\collections and expect the \root\default\collections library to magically be made.

crusher11

No, because I have to delete the library each time I make a change, not just the first time I import the collections.

crusher11

Additionally, after deleting and recreating the library to get the collections recognised, I'm unable to add to them via the Emby UI. I click on the three-dot menu, select "Add to collection", pick the collection I want to add to, see the "successfully added to collection" message...but the item is still not in the collection.

Same for editing images. Nothing happens.

Edited by crusher11

PenkethBoy

From that log its file permissions that are causing the issue - access denied

020-07-24 02:18:27.875 Debug ProviderManager: Saving /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/data/collections/Individual Films [boxset] to Emby Xml.
2020-07-24 02:18:28.094 Error ProviderManager: Error in metadata saver
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.5.0.13
	Command line: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/server/EmbyServer.exe -package synology -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffprobe -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffdetect -restartexitcode 121
	Operating system: Unix 4.4.59.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: False
	Mono: 6.8.0.105 (tarball Sat Mar 28 20:34:48 UTC 2020)
	Runtime: file:///volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/3rdparty/mono/6.8.0.105/lib/mono/4.5/mscorlib.dll
	System.Environment.Version: 4.0.30319.42000
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var
	Application directory: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/releases/4.5.0.13-beta
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/data/collections/Individual Films [boxset]/collection.xml" is denied.
	  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x0019e] in <9d3f0d4bd0fb4c1e8b6c2ac1ba1303ac>:0 
	  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <9d3f0d4bd0fb4c1e8b6c2ac1ba1303ac>:0 
	  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int,System.IO.FileOptions)
	  at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileStream (System.String path, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileOpenMode mode, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileAccessMode access, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileShareMode share, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileOpenOptions fileOpenOptions) [0x00045] in <a638959fee2840beba7724b9a9562cfd>:0 
	  at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileStream (System.String path, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileOpenMode mode, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileAccessMode access, MediaBrowser.Model.IO.FileShareMode share, System.Boolean isAsync) [0x0003b] in <a638959fee2840beba7724b9a9562cfd>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.LocalMetadata.Savers.BaseXmlSaver.SaveToFile (System.IO.Stream stream, System.String path) [0x0002b] in <da0e4e0e764e4ebcb8044ad9e839e865>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.LocalMetadata.Savers.BaseXmlSaver.Save (MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem item, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00032] in <da0e4e0e764e4ebcb8044ad9e839e865>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.ProviderManager.SaveMetadata (MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem item, MediaBrowser.Model.Configuration.LibraryOptions libraryOptions, MediaBrowser.Controller.Library.ItemUpdateType updateType, MediaBrowser.Controller.Library.IMetadataSaver[] savers, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x0004a] in <11ee3b3dd80044a393c58bb2517b79b7>:0 
	Source: mscorlib
	TargetSite: Void .ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, Boolean, System.IO.FileOptions)

e.g.

"System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/data/collections/Individual Films [boxset]/collection.xml" is denied."

PenkethBoy

You are copying collections (or were) from a windows machine to a synology machine via WINScp?

If so then you have two options

1. Login to the NAS with a user with the appropriate rights via WinScp and then copy the folders/files across - so files have the correct permissions based on the users rights - which winscp will honour.

2. Once the files have been copied across - amend the permissions in WINScp or directly via the SYNO GUI

Basically the Emby server does not have permission to edit the xml file and probably the permissions to create new Collection folders etc etc hence the error above

Get the permissions correct - there are 10s of threads on this already so go and read up and you will get the details of how to do it and i suspect your problems will go away.