Migration PC -> NAS Synology

MAX92

MAX92

In English, how can I do to migrate from PC to NAS Synology without lost "watched or unwatched" information ? 

@MAX92 this is pretty well covered in this knowledge base article.:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

In a nutshell you want to copy certain directories over to the NAS in a location that Emby can access and repoint directories if needed.

Easy was is to perform a new installation on the NAS and shut it down.  Now copy the directories over from your PC to the new location on the NAS.  After you get everything copied over start it back up.  If you have the backup plugin then it's best to take a backup before doing this procedure and a restore on the new NAS.

You will likely have to adjust or recreate the libraries as they will likely point to a new/different location.  Proceed with that and then refresh your libraries.

Just make sure to keep things on the PC so you can always redo things if needed in case you don't get something correct.

Let us know how it goes or if you have any issues and we can help.

Carlo

MAX92

Thanks @cayars for your answer.

Is it possible without backup plugin ? The only thing i want to keep is the "watched/unwatched" item ?  

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, MAX92 said:

Thanks @cayars for your answer.

Is it possible without backup plugin ? The only thing i want to keep is the "watched/unwatched" item ?  

Really depends on if you are able to import the userdata table from a old library.db to the new one.  As over time the table columns have changed.  Also you would have to align the user id as new installation can change the id to each order.  This is the advantage of the plugin as it pulls that information from the databases for users and userdata.

I'd not try to import tables or things like that.  Just copy over the database itself.  

What I'd do @MAX92 without the backup plugin is make sure you update to the latest version on your PC.  Then get the same exact version for your NAS to install.  While there are platform changes at least the database and features should be the same.

Carlo

MAX92

Thanks @Happy2Play

If i well understand, i have to migrate user id and library.db.

library.db in the /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/data directory

Users in the /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/config/users directory

MAX92

@cayarsI copy all the repertory Emby-Server to var.

It seens working but I can change location : i have an error "Une erreur est survenue pendant l'ajout du chemin des médias. Veuillez vérifier que le chemin est valide et que le processus du serveur Emby peut y accéder."

Make sure you have given proper permissions to the Emby users prior to setting up libraries.  You will likely have to remove the old paths from the PC and redo them for your NAS since they are likely different.  

Did you do that?

MAX92

@cayars Yes I give the proper permissions to the Emby users.

I can save the new path on the NAS. I try one more time.

MAX92

I don't understand. I can't give permissions. I have always an error when i wand to change owner. I try 2 times after reset my Synology.... hrrrrrr

You didn't give enough info to fully understand your question.  Are you talking about Emby folders/directories or the media librariies?

But in a nut shell you want the Emby user to have read/write/create privs for folders that it has to write to like the cache folder.

At at minimum your media folder need to have read privs for the Emby user in order to access them but if you want to write images and NFO files to these directories (I personally would recommend it) then also write privs.

Do you know what user is running Emby on your NAS?

Can you be more specific in your statement about not being able to grant access?  What user and what privs did you try to grant?

Carlo

MAX92

You didn't give enough info to fully understand your question.  Are you talking about Emby folders/directories or the media librariies?

I'm only talking about Emby folders in /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var.

I managed to connect to root mode, but the "chown" command doesn't work. Indeed, I want to change the owner of the directories that I copied from "root" to "embyusr". I don't understand why the command doesn't work when I've already used it.

I know the basics of linux to do this but not flavors of linux as used by NAS providers so I can't help, sorry.

Anyone running Synology NAS that can jump in to help?

FrostByte

I don't normally use the chown command and prefer to use WinSCP to change permissions to all folders.  To do that though I had to give my admin account root access to my NAS otherwise even logging in with admin wouldn't let me change those folders from my Windows PC.  

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

I did a little write-up in the link below.  Thanks go to @Abobader as he is the one who helped me with the procedures and I just compiled them here. 

MAX92

Hello tous !

ça a fonctionné. Après plusieurs reboot, la fonction Chown a marché. Cool. Merci à vous tous.

Hi everyone,

It's working. After many rebbots, the chown fonction works. Tahks everyone.