[HDR10/Dolby Vision] Not working on (Android and all platforms than use LibMpv)

CyberPoison

CyberPoison

This is a Enhancement request for my similar post posted here about my issue 

I really suggest and encourage Emby to move to exoplayer or update their native player (LibMpv) because HDR10 and Dolby Vision through the exoplayer allow already the Dolby Vision (MP4 container and TS) and the quality is a bit better than on LibMpv (Brightness /Darks) quality is better on exoplayer and when I started my HDR10 movie on my Huawei p30 Pro at first thought it was a compatibility issue but no so it's a issue from the native player. 

I really suggest Emby to move to exoplayer because ExoPlayer is better above LibMpv, and it have better quality 

This is plex and Emby HDR10 quality difference unfortunately the difference if I put a screen shot is the devs are not able to see the difference but I really suggest to try emby and plex just difference between exoplayer and libMpv but sure than exoplayer an native player made my Google is pretty much better than LibMpv 🤔

Edited by CyberPoison

• 1 month later...
a5ian300zx

You mark my thread with same issue reported (under android) using my Samsung devices as completed but the issue is still present with hdr. 

Same issue with my new android phone. 

Thanks 

I don't have a Huawei p30 Pro,but does this device support Dolby Vision?  I Googled it and couldn't find anything that says it support "Vision".

I know it supports Dolby Atmos but those are two different things and there are lots of links on Atmos.

CyberPoison

well the hdr is not working also in dolby vision movies when on exoplayer it was working fine @cayars so i think it was a issue with the media player, 
cuz it works on plex (Exoplayer) you get hdr succefully also if your mobile is not working, instead of having some issues with the color/tone maping on libmpv

So conclusion.
There is tone maping issues HDR/HDR10/HDR DOLBY VISON, Issue than you are not able to get on exoplayer, the huawei it's probably not certified DV(Dobly Vision) btw It's HDR I sure at 100% and by exoplayer you can play 4K HDR/HDR10 without any issues .

A dev would need to chime in on this.  They could be using what the device sends back and it might not be reporting your device HDR suitable.  

Let's see what they say.

As mentioned, Exoplayer already supports HDR (we've been using it for quite a while in the TV app).  I think support for it in MPV is very recent and may not have made it into the app yet.

One other point is that, if any transcoding or remuxing is done, HDR will currently be lost.