Regarding the forum upgrade

Abobader

Chyron
On 6/13/2020 at 9:36 AM, pir8radio said:

i understand,   But now with my image hosted on every forum individually (vs as a link to gravatar) now just any joe can do a google search and find every forum i'm a member of and have posted to

They could do that already anyway, assuming you use the same username for multiple sites.

If a forum uses third-party avatars, then every time you visit a new page/site it will reach out to that avatar host site and tell it which site is requesting it. The hosting site can then sell that information. Removing this functionality doesn't make your username immune to a google search.

Edited by chyron8472

pir8radio
7 hours ago, chyron8472 said:

They could do that already anyway, assuming you use the same username for multiple sites.

If a forum uses third-party avatars, then every time you visit a new page/site it will reach out to that avatar host site and tell it which site is requesting it. The hosting site can then sell that information. Removing this functionality doesn't make your username immune to a google search.

exactly,  so what does this do for us?  Removing this functionality doesn't protect us either, was my point.  there are always ways to get this info.    One less way doesn't help at all.  Its like busting an iptv provider 4 more will take their place.   Its the internet, don't do on the net what you don't want others to know, if you are not using a secure connection.   I mean the ISP's, and DNS providers do this today (sell where you go).  sure you have a choice to use your own DNS, or different usernames between sites, or to not use gravatar...  no need to force it was my original point.

Edited by pir8radio

Just to make it clear to all, all the members avatars are hosting in our server, we do not use third-party to host images.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pir8radio said:

exactly,  so what does this do for us?  Removing this functionality doesn't protect us either, was my point.  there are always ways to get this info.   

There is not always a way for a random 3rd party that no one even knows about to track exactly where you are at all times.  Yes, I know your ISP and Google etc. can probably do this already but adding some other entity with access to this information without any transparency or ability to stop it is the kind of thing that the entire industry is trying to shut down right now.

pir8radio
8 hours ago, ebr said:

There is not always a way for a random 3rd party that no one even knows about to track exactly where you are at all times.  Yes, I know your ISP and Google etc. can probably do this already but adding some other entity with access to this information without any transparency or ability to stop it is the kind of thing that the entire industry is trying to shut down right now.

So back to my other point.  Emby.media doesn’t use a CSP.   So it freely shares its referrer header to any random third party site link that is clicked here or on the website (in other words that Site knows you came from Emby).   If it’s that big of a deal you would have fixed all of the so called security risks.   It’s like if somebody had a key to your house you wouldn’t just remove the door knob and call it secure because now you can just use your fingers to get in without the door knob. Normally you would re-key the door possibly add a deadbolt and fix the issues. you guys just removed the door knob here was my point.  Tackled the least risky security issue you have.

By the way my form signature is hosted on my own server I can bring up stats for every user that’s ever viewed any of my posts on this site. I can tell you what IP address they have what browser they’re using, OS, device type, etc, etc.   Due to your security here.    

I get what you want to say you’re doing but you’re not actually doing it.  another analogy buying a Prius to help the environment while you burn oil to heat your garage.    

if you want help pointing out security risks that you want to fix on your sites, I’m all in for helping.   But I think in this case it wasn’t really to be more secure.   

Again I’m fine without it, no need to explain if you guys say you wanted to remove it because you wanted too or it caused you issues, great! It’s your site.  Lol. I was originally just pointing out that your reasons were not adding up, I thought maybe that you misunderstood something and I was trying to clear it up.  

@ebr @Abobader  come here give me a hug

Edited by Abobader
Sorry buddy, I remove the video for some issue I am testing, thanks

Chyron

13 minutes ago, pir8radio said:

I get what you want to say you’re doing but you’re not actually doing it.

But it's not Emby who removed Gravatar support. It is Invision Power Board who removed it. Emby just switched to using their forum software.

Edited by chyron8472

4 minutes ago, chyron8472 said:

But it's not Emby who removed Gravatar support. It is Invision Power Board who removed it. Emby just switched to using their forum software.

Yup.

CBers

When using the "MARK SITE READ" option, is there a way to have the page refresh, so that you know it has been actioned please?

22 minutes ago, CBers said:

When using the "MARK SITE READ" option, is there a way to have the page refresh, so that you know it has been actioned please?

When you apply that, it did not mark all threads read?

CBers
13 minutes ago, Abobader said:

When you apply that, it did not mark all threads read?

It did, but I had to refresh the page to see the change, as it doesn't auto-refresh. 

Would be nice if it could. 

I just test it, when you click on it, you did not see the popup box msg to confirm? When I did, it update, all now read indeed and update immediately.

That on PC on Chrome browser, will test on mobile later today.

• Like 1

arrbee99

'As someone mentioned, would like to have the list of people reading the thread back.

Would also like actual times back, as in - posted at/last post 8:15pm.

Now there's a dark theme, think it would be better if the box I am typing this in could also be dark.

The Location, on the left, needs a space, as in not 'LocationTulsa'.'

Just quoting the above from the other forum thread.

28 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

'As someone mentioned, would like to have the list of people reading the thread back.

Would also like actual times back, as in - posted at/last post 8:15pm.

Now there's a dark theme, think it would be better if the box I am typing this in could also be dark.

The Location, on the left, needs a space, as in not 'LocationTulsa'.'

Just quoting the above from the other forum thread.

I will reply later today about these issue. Thanks.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

The Location, on the left, needs a space, as in not 'LocationTulsa'.

Fixed.

• Like 2

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, Abobader said:

I just test it, when you click on it, you did not see the popup box msg to confirm? When I did, it update, all now read indeed and update immediately.

That on PC on Chrome browser, will test on mobile later today.

I had no issue either with this option on Chrome on PC.  I got the same results.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Are there user options to only post plain text?  Or do I just have to remember to right click and paste in plain text?

Currently have to click the option as it pops up or right click

Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

jordy

selecting "How to Report a Problem" at the top brings up a login request. Is this expected?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jordy said:

selecting "How to Report a Problem" at the top brings up a login request. Is this expected?

Heh, heh... whoops.

Wrong link Abo... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy2Play

Is there a post Report option?

What is the Recommend option?