Regarding the forum upgrade

Abobader

The double lining is even worse on a phone.

No way of not having it. 

Got used to it now though. 

Use Shift+Enter when using a PC, same as in Word. 

Gilgamesh_48
26 minutes ago, softworkz said:

The way it is like now is how every word processing application is working:

Enter = New Paragraph
Shift+Enter = Line break (without creating a new paragraph)

A big advantage over just adding empty lines, is that paragraph spacing can be styled in a way that it is less than double line height (which is actually the case here).
It allows presenting text in a visually more appealing and better readable way.

I disagree. I use LibreOffice and it does not work that way although I believe the user can override the defaults to make it work that way. In fact the default is that you need to hit [enter] twice to get double space.

I seems to me that the extra work/keystroke should be for what happens least and a double space for a paragraph seems to be needed less often than a simple single line break. Also for those of us that learned to type on a "real" typewriter we were taught and learned that a paragraph meant hitting "return" twice.

Of course "wordwrap" kind of means that single space is less utilized than it used to be but I still think it is used/needed more than the double space. I think this is particularly true for technical forums like this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

. I use LibreOffice and it does not work that way although

Because you have a style set where the paragraph spacing is the same as the normal spacing.

Gilgamesh_48
2 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Because you have a style set where the paragraph spacing is the same as the normal spacing.

Which must be the default since I have never tampered with any settings in LibreOffice word processing.

8 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Which must be the default since I have never tampered with any settings in LibreOffice word processing.

Sure, but you are still creating paragraphs with ENTER and line breaks with SHIFT+ENTER. I'm very sure that once you change the paragraph style, you'll able to see this.

Gilgamesh_48
1 minute ago, softworkz said:

Sure, but you are still creating paragraphs with ENTER and line breaks with SHIFT+ENTER. I'm very sure that once you change the paragraph style, you'll able to see this.

My publishers and others that I send manuscripts to never complain. So whatever is actually happening is OK with those folks.

BTW: I never use [shift+enter] for anything. If I need a double space i hit [enter] twice.

• Like 1

Armageus

18 hours ago, softworkz said:

The way it is like now is how every word processing application is working:

Enter = New Paragraph
Shift+Enter = Line break (without creating a new paragraph)

A big advantage over just adding empty lines, is that paragraph spacing can be styled in a way that it is less than double line height (which is actually the case here).
It allows presenting text in a visually more appealing and better readable way.

A Forum isn't a word processing app, neither is a website. Most popular forums do not default to this behaviour, as it's simply not expected. The majority of users do not know or need to know the difference between a line break or a paragraph.

Blank lines work just fine to break up text - the content contained within this forum is far more important than worrying about the formatting.

20 hours ago, ebr said:

Sorry, we have months of content with this display style now.  Too late to change it now.

This change actually saves me time typing now that I'm used to it.  I do a lot of typing out here.

You have it now.
[shift]
enter

Typical response from the Emby team - users are wrong, it's our way or no way.

Why can it not just be made a user configurable option?

Edited by Armageus

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, Armageus said:

Why can it not just be made a user configurable option?

I believe that has been addressed when the Emby people said that changing the "style" changes all posts. Personally I do not really believe it is so cut and dried. I believe that it could be set so that all old posts are in whatever style was applied at the time they were created and new posts take on whatever style the user has selected. If that is not the case then the software running this forum is pretty badly flawed. The idea that current changes in the user's profile would change all past posts simply seems absurd.

Of course it is possible that the forum software is so poorly written that it cannot be customized in reasonable ways but that does not speak well for either the developers of the software or the "committee" that made the choice to use it.

I would like to believe that it was simply overlooked at the time it was chosen but the current behavior is not really good at all as it waists a lot of space.

I think it should be changed so that enter makes a single line feed and, if users want more, they should need to press enter again. That is the "shift+enter" should be eliminated as unneeded. The idea of different behaviors for paragraph and return is rather absurd and assumes a level of sophistication  well beyond what is usually seen on support forums. I would bet that if users that have not seen this thread were asked less that 10% would be aware of the difference between enter and shift+enter.

If the change does change earlier formatting the Emby should simply run a script against older posts that maintains the formatting at the time of the post.

Editors on forums should behave like Notepad not like some sophisticated esoteric word processor.

However I do object to:

1 hour ago, Armageus said:

Typical response from the Emby team

as I have found Emby generally very responsive to users. It is just that in this case, and a very few others, Emby seems more intent on defending previous choices than being open to the possibility they might have made a mistake.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

as I have found Emby generally very responsive to users. It is just that in this case, and a very few others, Emby seems more intent on defending previous choices than being open to the possibility they might have made a mistake.

It is not our software and we simply have better things to work on than trying to customize such an obscure thing that is already behaving in an acceptable and standard way.  We have to pick our battles and spending time customizing tiny features of the forum just isn't one we need to fight right now.

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

It is not our software and we simply have better things to work on than trying to customize such an obscure thing that is already behaving in an acceptable and standard way.  We have to pick our battles and spending time customizing tiny features of the forum just isn't one we need to fight right now.

While I understand your point it is not, from my point of view, either acceptable or standard. It may be standard in fancy word processors but, as I said before, forums should not behave like word processors, which take time and effort to learn, but they should behave like a basic notepad with, maybe, markup ability to allow those that need it to use fancy features. For forums basic is better than complex and using shift+enter is just a complexity that is not required for simple posting. The default should that enter equals exactly one line.

I find the current use of enter messes up a lot more than it fixes and it requires more edits to fix what it screws up than I like. Using shift+enter is just not natural for me. But it is your software, or the software you have chosen, and therefore I must adapt to your beliefs. At least, in this case, adapting to your beliefs will not affect my ascension into the next rehelm.

Good day,

I do not see any reason giving Ebr a hard time, when it totally my fault (I forgot when we testing the new forum build, we agree to chose this setting).

I am at the moment try to find a solution (within the Editor) that could work the way some wanted, as you know by now, we like to make this forum comfortable place to post and share, even to chat as best we could if it not risking some issue.

I have a list got it from this thread, things we need to do, but please give us some times, thanks.

My best 

• Like 1

Is it possible to change the editor so it does spacing different moving forward for new messages? Is that what you're looking into?

• 3 weeks later...

Abo - does this version  have any option or add-on for indicating the "Original Poster" on subsequent posts in a thread?

Is there any way to get better searching of PMs?  Unlike searching the forum it's hard to search your own PMs.

If not, can we pass this up to the vendor as a request?

13 minutes ago, cayars said:

Is there any way to get better searching of PMs?  Unlike searching the forum it's hard to search your own PMs.

If not, can we pass this up to the vendor as a request?

This is one of the improvements they did make.  Using the little search box below the "Inbox" works pretty well for me now.  However, the Inbox itself is broken in that it doesn't take you to the last unread message in the thread.  That is a known issue that supposedly will be fixed.

22 minutes ago, ebr said:

This is one of the improvements they did make.  Using the little search box below the "Inbox" works pretty well for me now.  However, the Inbox itself is broken in that it doesn't take you to the last unread message in the thread.  That is a known issue that supposedly will be fixed.

thanks, didn't even notice it there.

CBers

I receive emails about reported content and if I follow the link, I can see the report, but if I open the forums, there doesn't seem to be anywhere that I can see the same report. 

What am I missing? Where should I be going? 

Please bear in mind that 99.9% of the time I use the mobile theme. 

Thanks. 

I don't know about the mobile theme but I have a triangle with an exclamation mark in it next to my mailbox icon.

CBers
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

I don't know about the mobile theme but I have a triangle with an exclamation mark in it next to my mailbox icon.

I'll check the next time I receive one and report back. 

Maybe that one of the Admins/Moderators have already dealt with the report I guess. 

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, ebr said:

Abo - does this version  have any option or add-on for indicating the "Original Poster" on subsequent posts in a thread?

Yes it dose, I can add one, but when we upgrade, it will have that within the core of the software, so if you need it now, I can add it.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Abo

is there an option to save a draft PM - have a few i want to send to a few people and as they will be longish with attachments etc - would be good to be able to save a draft so i can comeback to it later to finish

sooty234

Are we not able to manage our attachments from 'My Attachments'? I want to clean out some of my logs, but the only way I can see how, is to edit the post it's attached to. Would be nice to be able to do it in one place.

Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Are we not able to manage our attachments from 'My Attachments'? I want to clean out some of my logs, but the only way I can see how, is to edit the post it's attached to. Would be nice to be able to do it in one place.

Unless it is a mod permission I have a delete option on My Attachments..

delete.thumb.jpg.f40a67d7cd6c597918c94228dfc907d9.jpg

sooty234
15 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Unless it is a mod permission I have a delete option on My Attachments..

delete.thumb.jpg.f40a67d7cd6c597918c94228dfc907d9.jpg

I don't have the option to select and delete.