Regarding the forum upgrade

Abobader

What might be a step in the right direction and completely optional would be a "wizard" that could be built into the server to generate the text for the forum post.  It could gather the zip files. Produce a nicely formatted text message with the info normally asked for in the forums and of course could have things like version, OS, plugins automatically added.

Depending on how fancy you wanted to get it could even give the user the correct URL to post at (in case of client error).

The user would then only need to copy/paste it into the forum.

Description of the problem:

Did you get any error messages? Is what were the error messages:

Was this a playback issue? If yes, what client?

etc...

PenkethBoy

Wow this has a life of its own now and people are over thinking what is needed and putting road blocks up before we have even tried it - time to do something different for a change and improve things - have you even wondered why some experienced users dont provide help anymore - think about it as it puts more load on you guys - your choice

So we are talking about the same thing this is what i mean - From sonarr forum

**Sonarr version (exact version)**: 
**Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows)**:
**OS**: 
**Debug logs**:
**Description of issue**: 

<!---
Additional Information:
- Information on the log files is here: https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki/Log-Files
- Make sure debug logging is enabled in settings
- Post the log file, not a line or two, or just the error from the Logs table
- Post the full log to hastebin/pastebin/dropbox/google drive or something similar and link it here
- Do not post them directly here. Post in .txt not .doc, .rtf or some other formatted document
--->

This could do with some work and needs to be softened and be a bit more verbose - but gives you an idea of what could be done for the OP of a thread - not every thread post

Now the sonaar mods get pissy when someone does not follow the above - not suggesting that - as its stupid - but they are not being paid so they can be more aggressive

• Like 1

miniliQuid
20 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

Wow this has a life of its own now and people are over thinking what is needed and putting road blocks up before we have even tried it - time to do something different for a change and improve things - have you even wondered why some experienced users dont provide help anymore - think about it as it puts more load on you guys - your choice

So we are talking about the same thing this is what i mean - From sonarr forum

**Sonarr version (exact version)**: 
**Mono version (if Sonarr is not running on Windows)**:
**OS**: 
**Debug logs**:
**Description of issue**: 

<!---
Additional Information:
- Information on the log files is here: https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/wiki/Log-Files
- Make sure debug logging is enabled in settings
- Post the log file, not a line or two, or just the error from the Logs table
- Post the full log to hastebin/pastebin/dropbox/google drive or something similar and link it here
- Do not post them directly here. Post in .txt not .doc, .rtf or some other formatted document
--->

This could do with some work and needs to be softened and be a bit more verbose - but gives you an idea of what could be done for the OP of a thread - not every thread post

Now the sonaar mods get pissy when someone does not follow the above - not suggesting that - as its stupid - but they are not being paid so they can be more aggressive

That's true, I believe OMBI github even has a bot that checks if the made post has all the needed information (or correct format or something) and if not, it automatically locks/removes it or something. Does kind of help him stay on track. Though it can be annoying and scare people away I guess if it gets too strict.

• Like 1

Nothing like that should happen. Users should still be able to create normal posts like today.

The - let me call it - "submission procedure" should be optional.

A user should have a choice to do it right away or just create a normal post - but might be asked to go through the procedure anyway (if applicable).

PenkethBoy

if its only text like in the sonarr example the user can delete/ignore it - which gets up the nose of the sonarr devs - bless

miniliQuid

Oh don't get me wrong, that was just an example of how OMBI does it. Personally I thought it was pretty annoying as I had to do it multiple times since some of the headlines were not applicable to my issue, yet still needed to be in there apparently. But I do see how it would help a small team like the OMBI team have less issues with needing multiple posts to help with / resolve issues.

I totally agree that showing a "lay-out" is probably plenty, and still super helpfull. Good for streamlining the support and having less need for an additional post where the devs ask for some of that crucial information.

Edited by miniliQuid

It should not involve writing a lot of text. Ideally, the server would assist the submission in some way that the user has to do minimal work only: 

• Fill out a single text field explaining the problem
  • Have a real form with multiple choice and selection fields
    Additional text fields should only be for single or few words
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

In an ideal world yes - but that adds another series of things to be coded tested etc on the server

Keep it simple initially - and see what the feedback is first - then adjust - then do the gold plated server does it for you option

if we wait for the gold plated version - see you late next year - as way more important things need doing 

I suggested this as way to help with support - quickly and simply - not add extra (although nice to have) options to the server backlog etc

• Like 1

Good day,

I found a simple solution for the suggestions:

I will create new group (I hate this, but this need it), let as example call it "New-User" from 0-2 post will have new template within the post area that simply give a head up info for what he/she should provide by info, also link to important, is just text info, nothing to enforce there.

Also each forums section could have different suggestion info for help ... etc.

Simple and clean, then that group can be update to "Members" after passing that 2 posts matters, then can not see that info when start new topic any more.

I will apply this in few days in this forum as a test, abo-junior will start this test.

My best

PenkethBoy

New issue when editing/creating a post

if you do ":)" or any other emoji code by hand and dont press space after - it locks the cursor and things like cursor keys dont work

it feels like the forum has locked (it hasn't) and you wonder why you can move around etc

also does the same thing if you post in text with emoji codes without spaces after them

Not the end of the world but confusing till you know whats going on

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

@Abobader

unless i am missing it - how do we turn off or control the double spacing in posts?

this

is

silly

On PC you can use shift + enter to avoid that.

On mobile I couldn't find a way around it yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

@Abobader

unless i am missing it - how do we turn off or control the double spacing in posts?

this

is

silly

3 hours ago, neik said:

On PC you can use shift + enter to avoid that.

On mobile I couldn't find a way around it yet.

Fixed.

Test line return1

Test line return2

Double line return.

• Thanks 1

Just reminder, it effect the all forums posts old as well, so if you doing some guides or a like, you need to edit your threads/posts for double lines breaking.

That as well for @Luke and the rest of the dev's team to aware of this from now on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Abobader said:

Just reminder, it effect the all forums posts old as well, so if you doing some guides or a like, you need to edit your threads/posts for double lines breaking.

That as well for @Luke and the rest of the dev's team to aware of this from now on.

Nope.  Sorry, but I've been relying on this since the forum upgrade.  This change will screw up all my posts since then.

Please undo.  @Abobader

Yea, I tend to agree.  If I use a double line break it was on purpose to make things easier to read.

49 minutes ago, ebr said:

Nope.  Sorry, but I've been relying on this since the forum upgrade.  This change will screw up all my posts since then.

Please undo.  @Abobader

Done.

PenkethBoy

Well - another - i dont want it - because i dont like it - sigh

Give us a chuffin option then to edit post effectively and not have a yard and a half of wasted space per forum thread page

1 minute ago, PenkethBoy said:

Well - another - i dont want it - because i dont like it - sigh

Sorry, we have months of content with this display style now.  Too late to change it now.

This change actually saves me time typing now that I'm used to it.  I do a lot of typing out here.

2 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

Give us a chuffin option then to edit post effectively and not have a yard and a half of wasted space per forum thread page

You have it now.
[shift]
enter

Gilgamesh_48
44 minutes ago, ebr said:

Sorry, we have months of content with this display style now.  Too late to change it now.

This change actually saves me time typing now that I'm used to it.  I do a lot of typing out here.

You have it now.
[shift]
enter

I understand it is too late BUT it should be the other way around. That is single space for regular [enter] and double space for [shift+enter]

However it seems to me that you could run a script of some kind against the existing database to change earlier posts and then implement what I believe is the correct [enter] behavior.

Just because something is wrong behavior does not mean it should be kept that way for the future. 

But I "can" live with it this way I just think it would be better the other way. Particularly since every other forum I deal with does it what I believe is the correct way.
That is [enter] = single space.

• Like 2

PenkethBoy
1 hour ago, ebr said:

You have it now.
[shift]
enter

yep that backwards

give us more control of the editor - its limited compared to the old forum software

The way it is like now is how every word processing application is working:

Enter = New Paragraph
Shift+Enter = Line break (without creating a new paragraph)

A big advantage over just adding empty lines, is that paragraph spacing can be styled in a way that it is less than double line height (which is actually the case here).
It allows presenting text in a visually more appealing and better readable way.