Regarding the forum upgrade

Abobader

Good day all,

Yes, we know about the issue, but let me give a head up:

The complete forum upgrade is not done yet, due to some issue we faced with our servers, we did not complete things we like to apply, we will as soon we solve some issue as I said.

We will apply some plugin like Tapatalk and others by tomorrow, we will solve some issue as well.

We simply put the forum online so you guys try it and as well testing and give back feedback while we working on our community.

Deep thanks to Ebr, Luke and John for their outstanding works/time on this update.

Thanks to you all for your patience.

My best

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 4

Armageus
2 hours ago, Abobader said:

We will apply some plugin like Tapatalk and others by tomorrow, we will solve some issue as well.

Appreciate the work that has gone into the migration (being a moderator of a popular forum that migrated from vb to xenforo), but don't understand why Tapatalk - much better to just have a responsive theme that works on Mobile.

• Like 1

pwhodges

Tapatalk brings multiple forums together into one app.  The users of a forum I run like it.

Paul

lightsout
1 hour ago, Armageus said:

Appreciate the work that has gone into the migration (being a moderator of a popular forum that migrated from vb to xenforo), but don't understand why Tapatalk - much better to just have a responsive theme that works on Mobile.

Totally disagree. Brings all my forums to one place. Hate when I have a site that can't use Tapatalk, I hardly visit it.

Topic Reputation added, this starter of the thread will get total vote within the posts in his thread, later on, will add forum sort by reputations.

• Like 3

jordy

I would like to see a "Return to Top" link at the bottom of the page.

Also, instead of "Go to Topic Listing" at the bottom of the page, I would prefer to have a "Go Back" or Return to Default Stream"  - a choice would be even better :)

thanks

Armageus
9 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Tapatalk brings multiple forums together into one app.  The users of a forum I run like it.

Paul

8 hours ago, lightsout said:

Totally disagree. Brings all my forums to one place. Hate when I have a site that can't use Tapatalk, I hardly visit it.

Which is fair enough, but at one point almost every forum with Tapatalk used to have a hideous landing screen "forcing" you to install it.

However...

7 hours ago, Abobader said:

Tapatalk installed.

No landing screen on my mobile, and if you hadn't mentioned it, then I'd be none the wiser :D

Good job.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I wouldn’t use any forum for browsing purposes if it wasn’t for Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just a reminder, we do not support Gravatar any more, if you want to add avatar, you need to upload it to your profile.

• Like 2

pir8radio

I'm just test posting...        why did you drop support of gravatar?        

test edit too....

Edited by pir8radio
to edit.... duh...

Our new forum build do not supported anymore:

Removed Gravatar support due to privacy concerns and performance issues

• Like 1

pir8radio
8 hours ago, Abobader said:

Our new forum build do not supported anymore:

im only responding to test the forum reply lol...    But what are the privacy concerns, those concerned people should just not use gravatar,   and performance issues?  its just a link on emby forums the data is pulled from someone else server by the clients directly, if anything you are causing performance issues with your server having to serve up all of these images now right?

Edited by pir8radio

In case you really want to know - you should ask Invision Power.  Interesting discussion (from Stack Exchange) here.

In this day and age of liability on the part of software for people's privacy, I can certainly understand why they removed this (and am glad because it also potentially exposes us to the same liability).

pir8radio
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

In case you really want to know - you should ask Invision Power.  Interesting discussion (from Stack Exchange) here.

In this day and age of liability on the part of software for people's privacy, I can certainly understand why they removed this (and am glad because it also potentially exposes us to the same liability).

but a simple google image search of my avatar will show the same thing to anyone now...  vs just gravatar having that info........   Now I am MORE exposed to ANYONE who wants that info.   (I kind of planned for that in my avatar, but you and others didnt lol)

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZivOR6lrouMyv7uMKD3HQEXOxTdYpBfWaiuOGqKgpxv_1SXCt-1d-tEt8YfJ0JSnsn3kV1aPR3sMLePhULfk1RfKAV9yXjrm-N1uGzZrVUmQaLQFdR24qKWd7L8PNW_1v4c_1621FqbE30wFzSbI3IlKScv4NQ8cuIse9dxX5HAdNVv8it1nzblpui9CyOllMuPWeM1SlFARVqwG4k7qNs9oWYR6e0p8qzQYq3i9PDRyBED8a-H7aUA6C2ocIQgDL0yRIc3uN-LB9DXnvrZI_1ujjScYhCWwFxF2uQFvUsv8XTCoQ6YMFO0-INX3R1TLZWSu1Th8tu0h&btnG=Search by image&hl=en

Edited by pir8radio

Again, talk to the forum board creators but a Google search does not expose to a third party every single page you visit on the web (that uses your Gravatar).

Gilgamesh_48

@Abobader, @ebr Is there any way to turn off the animations such as when a message box is going to appear it looks like it starts small and then expands to its normal size. All I really want or need to see is the box with the message. I do not really want or like animations like that.

pir8radio
43 minutes ago, ebr said:

Again, talk to the forum board creators but a Google search does not expose to a third party every single page you visit on the web (that uses your Gravatar).

i understand,   But now with my image hosted on every forum individually (vs as a link to gravatar) now just any joe can do a google search and find every forum i'm a member of and have posted too.     a google image search does not show those forums that use gravatar.       

I mean its the internet, who cares what sites ive been too...   we share that unknowingly all the time, this forum is doing it as well, you pass on referrer info, allowing any site that is linked to this site to know where the user came from,  so https://ebay.com if someone clicks that from this post you are sharing with ebay where they came from, because you do not use a CSP blocking that...   I'm just saying its retaliative, if someone wants the info its pretty easy to get.

Plus the cookie issue is only when you use gravatar iframe or similar,  you cant send a cookie with an image response,  and if the webpage (forum) uses a content security policy it would disable that anyway..  so it really comes down to the forum security being lax.  as long as you use the gravatar image link on your forums there is no real security issue like that article said.

Edited by pir8radio

Regarding Gravatar, I wanted to turn it off since 2015, based of performance issue, I look to many errors on the forum and found that still trying to complete the page but error comes from Gravatar ..

42 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

@Abobader, @ebr Is there any way to turn off the animations such as when a message box is going to appear it looks like it starts small and then expands to its normal size. All I really want or need to see is the box with the message. I do not really want or like animations like that.

I really hardly notice it since it took like less than 0.5 seconds to do it :)

But again, I am oldie and your eyes better than mine, but I will see what I can do to reduce that milliseconds issue, btw, what browser you use, I sue Chrome, so I can test with same browser you use.

pir8radio
20 minutes ago, Abobader said:

Regarding Gravatar, I wanted to turn it off since 2015, based of performance issue, I look to many errors on the forum and found that still trying to complete the page but error comes from Gravatar ..

But isnt the forum just telling the client where the image is located?   the forum isnt trying to download or proxy that image...    just like this picture: sun.small.cloud.png

your web browser is requesting that image from http://files.softicons.com  the forum isnt downloading it or doing anything with it, its a hot-linked image, not sure why the forum would throw an error... 

Like here is my gravatar image: c84d98af99fdc749dccdd55661106028.png     now what?   did I just defeat all of the effort not using gravatar? (right click and open image in new window, coming from gravatar)

but anyway...   i get it your decision...   Just saying the reasons for which you stopped using it dont make much sense.  not a huge deal to me, just hate when some things are portrayed in the wrong way, then people start believing....  yadda... yadda......  I'll shut up...     FORUM DOES LOOK NICE by the way, so im not just being negative lol.....    love the activity feed option, and ability to create your own.   layout looks roomy and bright, easy to navigate...   good work.

Edited by pir8radio

Admin's "sense" based on what best of his environments services, not to other admin's or users, it sure different than his.

Either way, I said why I was consider to turn it off since 2015, but I did not, again as Ebr said, this done by IPS.

• Like 2

Gilgamesh_48
51 minutes ago, Abobader said:

I really hardly notice it since it took like less than 0.5 seconds to do it :)

But again, I am oldie and your eyes better than mine, but I will see what I can do to reduce that milliseconds issue, btw, what browser you use, I sue Chrome, so I can test with same browser you use.

I REALLY doubt you are older than I but who knows? I use FireFox. To be honest I do not really want the "time" reduced I would really like it to go away. To me every time I see animations of on screen graphics it makes me think of wasted resources and I detest waste. Message boxes should, in my not so humble opinion, simply pop up and not go through gyrations just to get displayed.

I can live with it but I would just like to turn off all animations and just have the boxes and other things pop up or appear. Even Windows has an option to turn off animations and I just want simplicity.

I do not want to impose my rather eccentric tastes on others I just would like the option.

I do not even like the fade in when you hit submit on a post.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

@Gilgamesh_48 

I will test on Friefox later today and see.

We like from all to keep give us a feedback, we will see what we can do to be fair to all tho, but we will do our best.