All users and libraries missing and random user "bin"

chimestrike

chimestrike

Hello All,

I've woke up this morning to a odd situation with my server where all users and libraries are missing from my server (Live TV still shows..) but when looking I have a user called "bin" now showing on the login screen which seems to be some kind of admin, now this has happened once before and I ended up reinstalling but I want to work out why this is happening now as its the second time.

From looking in the logs I did see the below error and the emby server rebooted itself at approx 6am ish today . 

However all of the files/users are still showing in my app data so I have a feeling there is something maybe not reading it correctly?

This is the Emby docker running on an unraid server, latest version as of last night with a nvida gpu passed through.

Any help would be great thanks as I had only this back up and running for a short while before it died.

*Edit* Just to update this is looks like the user.db and library.db have become corrupted somehow, My only wonder is why this keeps happening.

Edited by chimestrike

• 2 weeks later...
chimestrike

Just as an update I'm working with the support team on this one and will update again once we have some more clues as to whats happened  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
chimestrike

I didn't come up with a solution sadly, I basically took proactive action and installed the backup plugin.

I have to ask though what platform you running the server on?

Guess that’s the first thing I will do too. 
I am using a docker container on Unraid. 
Can you tell me how I can check if the users still exist? Which file in appdata folder contains the data? 

On 9/14/2020 at 7:30 AM, sultany said:

Guess that’s the first thing I will do too. 
I am using a docker container on Unraid. 
Can you tell me how I can check if the users still exist? Which file in appdata folder contains the data? 

It is in the users.db database file under the appdata/data folder.

• 2 years later...

I just ran into this exact problem as well. Also on running Emby as a docker on Unraid.

I have a "bin" user and no other users. When I click on "bin", it logs me into Emby without needing a password. I can see what looks like my content.

This is happened after replacing a data drive and rebuilding it.

Would that have caused the problem? How do I fix it?

20 minutes ago, vurt said:

I just ran into this exact problem as well. Also on running Emby as a docker on Unraid.

I have a "bin" user and no other users. When I click on "bin", it logs me into Emby without needing a password. I can see what looks like my content.

This is happened after replacing a data drive and rebuilding it.

Would that have caused the problem? How do I fix it?

HI, there's nothing in Emby Server that would do this. Do you have a copy of the contents of the old drive? You could restore from that.

• Like 1

Hi @Luke, thank you for replying.

The data drive doesn't store any Emby info from what I know, it's purely for content.

I opened up users.db with an SQLite db browser, and I can see my users in the file. The three users I'd set up are in users.db.

Here are the user files in /appdata/data:

image.png.c8780c18753bbaeca78ee47240e8e978.png

Here's what the db browser shows me:

image.thumb.png.723bc2dbdd6beba2241243b187937cef.png

So the info is there, but Emby is not reading them?

And I never created "bin", so where did that come from? An Emby default user created automatically?>

Edited by vurt

I also did a password reset for one of the users. Emby informs me I should be able to log in without a password, but it didn't work.

I guess Emby doesn't know the users exist even though they're in users.db.

1 hour ago, vurt said:

I also did a password reset for one of the users. Emby informs me I should be able to log in without a password, but it didn't work.

I guess Emby doesn't know the users exist even though they're in users.db.

Maybe you're running a fresh install out of a new data directory and your old data directory is not being used?

Unfortunately no :( The install is in the same data directory because I can see files in there that are newly created or modified today.

image.png.bf6518b80603cbcf83d0343e2e3b3322.png

I can also see that users.db hasn't been modified since yesterday, but users.db-shm was accessed today just minutes ago, probably because of my failed login attempts or logging in as "bin".

image.png.58a0e881c3aa669cb90f6c25891fedfd.png

It confirms Emby is using the same data directory as before.