mb3admin.com during internet outage

spiffman192

spiffman192

All,

I've been struggling with this for quite some time now. And it showed it's ugly head yesterday during this month's internet outage in my area.

When I have an outage, MBT will not start. There's simply the black Electron screen, but no joy.

I first experienced this many months ago when I began to lock down internet access on my HTPCs. Thinking I could just use a zero trust model, they had no access to the outside world. When MBT wouldn't load, I tried the web interface on the server, and found that would load, but still displayed the Get Premier banner. This led me to open access from the HTPCs to mb3admin.com to resolve both issues.

There is a big issue with all of this though. When I experience internet outages (which are common in my rural mountain area), MBT is unusable and the web interface throws the Get Premier banner. I know the server maintains a 1 week cache, but that only seems to be on the server and does nothing for my HTPCs around the house.

Needless to say, the maintenance tonight worries me a little in terms of my MBTs not being able to see mb3admin.com. I'll be interested to see if that will cause issues.

What am I missing here? Is this expected behavior? 

Thanks in advance!

Hi.  No, that isn't really expected.  A temporary inability to access the admin server should not completely disable your access to the app.  Does this happen right away - meaning even if the app was successfully run the same day or day previous?

spiffman192

I'm trying to remember the other times, but this most recent time, yes. We had a power outage in the afternoon, so both server and client went offline in the middle of watching. Power was restored, but internet was still offline. Server came up, and I brought the client back up, but MBT wouldn't start and the web interface had the banner.

For the record, I'm running MBT 3.0.11, and 4.5.0.12 (happened last weekend).

I can run some tests by blocking the client at the firewall and see if I can recreate it reliably. 

Edited by spiffman192

spiffman192

I appreciate it. In my mind, the target server would hand out a token for features rather than requiring the app to hit an outside component. But I'm sure you've talked through all of the options and have very good reasons for the current architecture. 

Thanks for the effort!

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the party but I wanted to ask.  Had you run Emby Theater prior to the outage?  Like in the the last few days or was it installed and not used until the outage?

spiffman192
On 7/7/2020 at 7:52 PM, cayars said:

Late to the party but I wanted to ask.  Had you run Emby Theater prior to the outage?  Like in the the last few days or was it installed and not used until the outage?

Hey cayars,

yeah, it gets used regularly by the kiddos to what shows. In that incident, we had a power outage that took the server and theater offline alone with the internet. Power came back, but internet was still out. 

• Like 1