DTS Movie will only be played in Stereo

alext41

alext41

Hi, i think this was working before but now when i'm playing a Movie with DTS Sound the playback is only in Stereo (only the front right & left). Is this normal or is there something wrong on my system?

I attached 2 different log files from my Emby server for 2 movies with that problem.

thx

Alex

ffmpeg-directstream-3365d091-75aa-42cb-a6cb-eb3aa1868f0a_1.txt

ffmpeg-remux-9cf1305f-84e8-4d7a-8907-fbf7e19229f1_1.txt

corey

@@alext41 -- We switched the default player back to the Apple player with the most recent release. The MPV player may be a better fit for your content. You can enable it in Settings -> Playback Settings -> Enable MPV. After that restart the app and give it a shot.

@@Luke will have to speak to the specifics of the ffmpeg logs you attached.

alext41

@corey thx for the info, this solves the first movie when i'm switching it to enable MPV.

Edited by alext41

teknokracy

I’ve also had this same problem and not just with DTS. Any multi-channel audio is forced in to Stereo, unless I switch to MPV. I also don’t appear to get very good streaming quality anymore with the new version, and to top it all off the main menu is “choppy” when navigating. This newest release is a step back for sure. 

alext41

any news on the second one? Still the same problem that its only in stereo. Reactivated the raspberry with Emby for Kodi and all is working in DTS. So this is only on the Apple TV.

vdatanet

What are your Apple TV audio settings? My audio settings are "Don't change". Using native player AC3 5.1 audio is sent to AVR as LPCM 5.1, if audio is DTS, Emby server transcodes DTS to AC3 and Apple TV sends to AVR as LPCM. If your audio settings are "Dolby Digital", Apple TV converts audio to Dolby Digital and bitstreams that audio to AVR. I suppose if the sound source is AC3 the audio is passed through to AVR (if supported)

teknokracy

All of these stereo problems were solved for me by switching to MPV, regardless of media and audio stream type. 

Yes other than HDR and refresh rate switching, mpv is a more robust video player.

vdatanet

Regarding audio, for me native player and mpv player behave the same way. Using "Don't change" audio setting, AC3 5.1 is sent as LPCM 5.1 to AVR and DTS is transcoded to AC3 and is sent as LPCM to AVR. 

• 1 month later...
vdatanet

Doing more extensive testing, I have noticed that DTS 5.1 audio is converted to ACC 5.1, Apple TV does not support that format. DTS 5.1 audio must be converted to AC3 5.1.