Atmos Ceiling Speakers

rbjtech

rbjtech

Now that my Nvidia Shield Pro has finally been shipped - I need to get around to actually installing the Atmos Ceiling/Hight speakers … :P

I have a few questions if anybody has done this before ..

a) It's a 7.1.2 system only, so I think the height speakers go just before (within 1m) where you sit - anybody have an placement experiences they would like to share ?

b ) I've basically bought some in-car 4" 2 way speakers and white covers ('Atmos' speakers are SOOO expensive for what is a ..er. set of speakers..) , but they will be open backed.  My plan was to build an acoustic box 'around' them in the ceiling void to not only keep the base checked, but also for fire safety - again, any thoughts here guys ?

c) What are the best films to show off Atmos films - haha - I've heard Gravity is good but are there any others that really use the height speakers ?

Thanks for any thoughts as always !

Edited by rbjtech

Jdiesel

If you only plan on doing 2 overhead speakers they should be almost directly above the main listening position, just slightly in front. If you think that you might add an additional 2 speakers for a total of 4, you may want to go with the hybrid setup (I think that is what it is called in the setup guide) as you won't have to preposition them later.

You might not need the enclosure as most car audio speakers are designed for infinite baffle installations. Speakers with amiable tweeters are very beneficial to aid with imagining.

My go to movie for testing my system is always Mad Max Fury Road. I think there is a thread on AVS that rates Atmos tracks. 

• Like 1

Sammy

Here's mine. Not Atmos but Denon AVR2312ci set with the front sound stage option. I did it like this because the speaker Jacks were already pre-mounted and pre-wired in these locations except the ones on the back wall. When I moved into this house I already had a 7.1 system with side and rears. Fortunately the Denon and allowed me to adjust the Sound Stage like this and it sounds great! The rears are directly in line and each side of the main seating area. These are HTD (Home Theater Direct) speakers BTW.

20200611_071334.jpg

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

AdrianW
22 hours ago, rbjtech said:

a) It's a 7.1.2 system only

Why "only" - surely you could set it up as 5.1.4 instead if you like (assuming you have a 9 channel receiver).

I'm planning on doing the same - but I haven't bought a suitable receiver yet. From everything I've read, 5.1.4 is preferred over 7.1.2.

Everything you need to know about speaker placement is in this guide.

• Like 1

rbjtech

Thanks all - I've just plugged in the Shield Pro and had a play (still on the 5.1) but all I can say is wow with the True-HD and DTS-X .. I didn't really think it would be that much different to AC3/DTS tbh but how wrong I was.  Sound depth and imaging are a massive improvement - I cannot wait now to get the Atmos speakers in !

Also had a quick play with the Shield AI Upscaler - now the LG OLED C8 has a pretty good upscaler built in, but the Shield upscaler has blown me away - I really had to double check the quality of some of the SD content I was testing it with to check it wasn't a HD source.

VERY impressed with the Shield Pro so far .. 👍 .. well worth the wait. 

• Like 1

rbjtech
3 hours ago, Sammy said:

Doesn't the 2015/2017 play Dolby True-HD, dts-ex and dts-HD/MA already?

It may well have done - but I've only ever had/used the LG Player - thus not having any 'HD' codecs available (via ARC or even eARC) to my Receiver.

• 1 month later...
rbjtech

Finally got around to installing these in the ceiling.   Amp set for 5.2.1 Atmos with height.   I'm really please with the result, the white covers make them very aesthetically pleasing.

For me it makes a noticeable difference to overall sound stage on Atmos enabled titles and there must be some sort of matrix going on with 5.1 as they still produce sound but obviously not independently.  Anybody who says Atmos doesn't make that much of difference must not have it setup correctly !  I can only imagine what 7.4.x or 9.4.x etc must sound like ..

For me, sound quality and stage/effects are equally as important as video quality - re-watching a couple of films already last weekend has brought a new excitement to film and I'm looking forward to re-watching so many older films now !    Saving Private Ryan was a highlight for me - can't believe I was actually nervous about where the next shot was coming from ! 

Enjoy your films people !

Edited by rbjtech

Try Top Gun, Days of Thunder & Unstoppable if you have them. Probably movies you might not have thought about.

Star Wars collection, Avatar, Titanic should probably be watched again as well.

I love when the sound is awesome and really well balanced on movies you would expect it from.

Now when are you going to expand to 7 or 9? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

rbjtech
10 hours ago, cayars said:

Haha - that was the exact thought while I was running the cables in the ceiling - shall I run the fronts's 'just in case' .. I resisted but probably gonna regret that decision ..

Sammy
10 hours ago, cayars said:

Try Top Gun, Days of Thunder & Unstoppable if you have them. Probably movies you might not have thought about.

Star Wars collection, Avatar, Titanic should probably be watched again as well.

I love when the sound is awesome and really well balanced on movies you would expect it from.

First 10 minutes or so is REFERENCE MATERIAL to test your system. Try that at about +5dB or so but turn it down afterwards to cool off you coils.. And I only have a 2013 AVR 2312ci with 7.1 channel sound.

Edited by Sammy

If you have to turn them down, they weren't big enough to start with. :)

Sammy

If you go over 0dB for long periods of time you will kill your tweeters unless you have an AVR with an extremely low THD.