Unraid Docker not starting after upgrade, killed .db and now actors pictures and metadata are missing

gnollo

gnollo

I upgraded to version 4.3.3.0, and as it has happened before to me on my Unraid (a version of Linux) server, the emby docker would crash within a few seconds (error message in the log and logs all attached).

So, as I discovered in the past, the only solution is to delete the library.db.

This time though, after rebuilding the library and restoring the server configuration, using the server configuration backup, the pictures and the metadata for the actors have mostly stopped working.

I found this thread https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/86323-tmdb-corrupt-image-fix-plugin-for-windows-10/page-4, installed the tool to see what it would find, and it reported:

Found 161397 Movie/Series People entires

156129 Image links found
0 were corrupt or old links
425 links were not tmdb links
425 links are local links
155704 links are not local links

I refreshed People using the task, and it made no difference. The fact I am also missing metadata is weird, but not for all. I found one or two actors out of a hundred still work.

I always built my local metadata using Mediacenter Master, to protect myself against future provider changes. It saves nfo locally, covers, backdrops, and it is set to also download actors pictures to \\TOWER\ImagesByName\metadata\People.

For example, I have just added "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" to the library, it scanned it, found Jane Powell, and created in the J sub-folder a folder for Jane Powell with a pic inside. So that part works.

But I get no picture and no metadata for her in Emby.

My Metadata path in Emby is set to /mnt/user/ImagesByName/metadata, should I point it to the people folder?

PS if I click on the individual actor in Emby and refresh the metadata, it gets both picture and metadata.

How can I do that for all actors?

embyserver.txt

logs.zip

gnollo

BTW I have not ticked replace existing images in the refresh, and it now (I suspect) brings in the pictures I downloaded in the local folder (three actors, three matching pictures).

gnollo

Even clicking on the actor, and doing a refresh metadata / search for missing metadata does the trick. How do I do that for the entire movie library?

gnollo

Metadata Manager/ Movies / "Folder" select Refresh Metadata / Search for missing metadata fixes many of the missing pictures and metadata.

The ones that are still missing cannot be found in the actors subfolders, even by capturing metadata again using Media Center Master, for example Claire Pakis (21 Grams).

Even doing a manual refresh when clicking on the actor doesn't fix that.

gnollo

Now I am missing 40% of the metadata instead of 99.99%. I have exhausted all my tactics, can anyone lend some help please?

Using Identify and the TMDB id fixes it, but there are too many to fix one by one.

Edited by gnollo

gnollo

Ok I looked in more details to the actors that are not showing picture and metadata.

The majority of them (by looking into edit metadata) already have a TheMovieDb Id: under External IDs.

What would be useful is to find out which of them don't have an id? I found a few, but I rather not click on the ones that already have an id, and simply have no information on their The Movie Database page. 

gnollo

And deeper the rabbit hole goes.

Example: Lennie Loftin

I have a picture of Lennie in the Lennie Loftin folder in the metadata directory.

Not picked up by Emby, no matter how many refreshes I do.

When I click on edit metadata under the actor it has ids for both IMDB and TMDB.

TMDB has no picture, and it only says Lennie Loftin is an actor. That's exactly what my page in Emby says.

So it seems that I can throw away all of the actors pictures (over 47K folder.jpg images in my People folder) that I have been collecting since 2007, as Emby doesn't appear to use them?

gnollo

So is there a way to force Emby to use the actors pictures you already stored in the local path?

Happy2Play

Correct new databases do not use Artist or People folders anymore.  You can attempt to utilize those images by pointing the People Backup plugin and restoring your existing image into the database.

gnollo

I rather do that actor by actor at this point. I can upload the pictures manually.

Ideally I would like to export from the database the list of actors without pictures, and compare them with the list of folders. Then I can manually link those actors and lock the record perhaps?

Be great if there was a tool that would do that automatically but I don't mind doing it manually once and for all if it stays locked and the picture won't be lost again.

What I need is a way to create a list of actors with no pictures.

gnollo

Correct new databases do not use Artist or People folders anymore.  You can attempt to utilize those images by pointing the People Backup plugin and restoring your existing image into the database.

I just re-read your post and I realised you are not talking about the server backup plugin, but that there is a people backup plugin! Awesome, I will give that one a try!

Thanks Happy2Play! 

gnollo

Well, it worked. Proof: it pulled in Lennie Loftin's picture, for example, which is missing from his TMDB profile, but which I have in my old ImagesByName folder.

Thanks very much for your help. Now, if I perform another Metadata Manager/ Movies / "Folder" select Refresh Metadata / Search for missing metadata, will it affect the pictures I restored?

Other than that, problem is now solved for me!

gnollo

Also I was thinking that we could pool together our actor pics to build the largest available library to restore, which would allow us to load the images that are not available on TMDB. I am happy to contribute mine.

gnollo

The folder structure is different, so I need to do some work in order to compare the folders. Also actors names and surnames are not capitalised.

Edited by gnollo
wrong comparison

• 4 weeks later...
gnollo
Why not just do things the easy way and let Emby fetch new images?
If the actor's image is missing on tmdb, it wont be downloaded?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, gnollo said:

If the actor's image is missing on tmdb, it wont be downloaded?

Doesn't that answer your own question?

gnollo
Doesn't that answer your own question?
Emby won't download images of actors that are not on TMDB. I'm not asking for Emby to host or collect those missing images. I was thinking of a way to pull together those missing images as a community. I hope that's not against the rules...