MPV Player won't playback some mp4 files via HTTPS but native apple player does and other Emby clients

unisoft

unisoft

Hello,

this is for info for any MPV work.

Basically, I have a number of MP4 files that are encoded similarly, which play perfectly fine in any Windows Media Player (Media Player, VLC, MPC, Media Center) and on LG TV app, Emby Theatre.

The encoder is either Handbrake or TMPGENC Video Mastering Works 7.

When it comes to MPV on iOS, Android and Apple TV - they don't playback or play an odd frame every few seconds.

MPV Issues:

1. Have some MP4 H264 with stereo AAC videos, 8-11mbps, High Profile Level 4.0, 4 ref frames CABAC (and some SD content videos using High profile, Level 3.1) that play using MPV in previous release and current release ON A LAN connection to server BUT don't play when using on a remote HTTPS connection. On the SAME HTTPS connection, the LG TV app v1.0.24 plays them fine. Same internet connection, same server, same file. Just a spinning wheel on Apple TV when MPV is used but not Apple TV native player which is fine. HTTPS is TLS 1.2 with 2048 cipher key and using Synology's reverse proxy. There doesn't seem to be a file type as they are all similar, i.e. not a sound codec or subtitles etc. MPEG2 encoded videos play fine all the time even correctly when interlaced content using MPV.

2. The same file as in point 1 above plays perfectly fine on Apple's own player over HTTPS at same location, same device. (Can't use Apple's native player all the time as a large number of files are PAL Interlaced and Apple's player only likes Progressive and will refuse to play interlaced content, and this is Apple design by look of it.)

3. Upstream from server is 38mbps and downstream at apple TV end is 115mbps. When files play they are direct play and Apple TV native player just plays them fine.

4. MPV on Apple TV plays them if direct on LAN and not HTTPS (Apple TV own native player works on both connection types).

5. Nothing in server logs at all about it. You just see the request for play and returns as successful when you have to abort the playback when using MPV over HTTPS (when it stalls).

Edited by unisoft

unisoft

Hi, regarding https, do you see this on iOS as well?

Hi Luke, yes. I can't connect the phone by LAN to see if it would play via LAN on iOS, as it is inherently WIFI - but it gives same results as Apple TV when MPV is used (both over https).

Unlike Apple TV when used with MPV, when iOS is connected to HTTP instead of HTTPS, the videos still don't play (Apple TV would play in either MPV or Native player when HTTP, and NATIVE player when HTTPS or HTTP).

It particularly doesn't like Handbrake encoded H264 AVC, Bit Depth 8, 1024x576, SMPTE170M colour space and primary. (1024x576 is true PAL widescreen rather than 720x576 with anamorphic flag). I can't find any player on MACOS or Windows 7/8.1/10 (inc latest v2004 build) that refuses to play them as they have always played fine for years and years for many of them, and LG/Samsung Emby apps are fine with them as is Apple TV's native player.

Also some other videos were H264 AVC, MAIN profile, bt709, 8 bit, 4:3 no anamorphic, 640x480, 25 frames (encoded for iTunes originally). 

I could upload some videos to an area if that would help. Half of emby apps play them, half don't.

Edited by unisoft