Emby is transcoding Dolby TrueHD Atmos

grudi

rbjtech
14 hours ago, ViruZ87 said:

@rbjtech the passthrough with my PC > C9 > Denon is working fine but only with VLC.
I can't try the Windows Client of Emby as i have no premiere but i guess that would work aswell.
(also connecting everything via denon brings up new issues - i have to switch picture mode for tv, switch and pc. if connected directly i don't)

My issue is/was that emby on LG didn't play HD Audio from my homeserver. but the issue is this:

"WebOS apps support for lossless audio - there will be no WebOS app support for lossless HD audio soundtracks such as TrueHD, TrueHD+Atmos, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA or DTS:X - this is the same situation as for the 2019 models; The Alpha9 SoC has only an ARC capable audio output, so it cannot send lossless audio back to the receiver/soundbar, even if they are eARC capable, firmware updates cannot modify hardware limitations;"

HD Audio Movies > PC with VLC
for everything else i can use the LG apps

ok great - and this makes perfect sense.

The VLC is simply passing the HD Audio to the C9 which is using HDMI passthrough via eARC to pass it to your Denon.  It is not being unencoded/processed by the C9.

The Emby Windows Client should do exactly the same as VLC.

I do pretty much the exact same - LG App for all normal viewing, but for 'Cinema Night' with HD Audio/Atmos - I use the Shield and bypass the LG TV sound entirely 😄

The Emby Windows Client should do exactly the same as VLC.

Yes correct.

• 9 months later...
Brushfinch

Hi, any progress with the issue?

please let me know for any workaround as I could not find any option to disable transcoding audio.

trueHD is transcoded  although i have earc with truehd AVR.

I own sony android tv (9505) using emby android app. server installed on windows 10, local network.

12 minutes ago, Brushfinch said:

I could not find any option to disable transcoding audio.

This is in the server configuration.  You would only want to turn that off as a test.  If disabling transcoding of audio makes the audio pass correctly, then we have an issue where the system is reporting no support for TrueHD but it will actually accept it.  More than likely, that isn't the case though which is why I'm very reluctant to add any sort of "force" option here.

Brushfinch

couldn't find it in the server configuration. can u please helps me to find it? probably the name of the option is confusing or i am blind :)

Happy2Play
22 minutes ago, Brushfinch said:

couldn't find it in the server configuration. can u please helps me to find it? probably the name of the option is confusing or i am blind :)

It is a User setting.  Dashboard-Users-Select User then scroll to Media Playback

Brushfinch
On 4/22/2021 at 1:43 AM, Happy2Play said:

It is a User setting.  Dashboard-Users-Select User then scroll to Media Playback

I'm sorry. I have been in that page, but Nothing here says clearly how to disable transcoding. please be more accurate as i have tried to untick some options without success:

I attached printscreen, i was thinking about that table when i said earlier  "probably the name of the option is confusing"

please let me know what exactly to untick and what to tick so I (and maybe others) can check and report back. thanks :)

ps.jpg

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, Brushfinch said:

I'm sorry. I have been in that page, but Nothing here says clearly how to disable transcoding. please be more accurate as i have tried to untick some options without success:

I attached printscreen, i was thinking about that table when i said earlier  "probably the name of the option is confusing"

please let me know what exactly to untick and what to tick so I (and maybe others) can check and report back. thanks :)

ps.jpg

Uncheck Allow Audio transcoding.  If the media plays with audio then that should confirm it is supported.

Edited by Happy2Play

Brushfinch
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Uncheck Allow Audio transcoding.  If the media plays with audio then that should confirm it is supported.

when I've have untick: "Allow audio playback that requires transcoding" (i guess that this is the option you refer by "Uncheck Allow Audio transcoding")

the result is:

- no sound

in nerds info:

- codec: TRUEHD

- audio transcoding DID initiated (due to unsupperted audio) and it runs until no space in the disk (it consumed 11GB from my ramdisk until no space left)

IMHO:

transcoding should not start at all and definitely should not run until no space left.

anyway, sound should pass through as is, without transcoding. maybe then i could get it to work as expected (TRUEHD pass-through earc)

thanks for the fast reply :)

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, Brushfinch said:

IMHO:

transcoding should not start at all and definitely should not run until no space left.

anyway, sound should pass through as is, without transcoding. maybe then i could get it to work as expected (TRUEHD pass-through earc)

You just passed audio through as is, so you just proved it does not work.

But yes Emby's current transcode method is maintaining the entire stream so you need about as much space as the encode per stream.

Brushfinch

Can i summarize that Emby app installed on Android TV,  Cannot play TrueHD due to TV limitation? even if earc used?
so the only way to play TrueHD sound is to install emby client on pc/streamer with TrueHD  supported?

or is there any known configuration of server->emby tv app->reciever that CAN play TrueHD ?

Hi.  Your test proves that your current setup doesn't support it.  It is likely the TV that is the restriction, yes.

• Like 1

rbjtech
22 hours ago, Brushfinch said:

or is there any known configuration of server->emby tv app->reciever that CAN play TrueHD ?

Not that we know of no.  The limitation appears to be getting TrueHD Audio out of the TV via e-arc.

To the best of my knowledge, the only client that plays True-HD/DTS-X is the Nvidia Shield when plugged directly into an AV Receiver - ie bypassing e-arc and using the Receiver to just pass the Video to the TV.

• Like 2

Brushfinch
On 4/24/2021 at 10:42 AM, rbjtech said:

Not that we know of no.  The limitation appears to be getting TrueHD Audio out of the TV via e-arc.

To the best of my knowledge, the only client that plays True-HD/DTS-X is the Nvidia Shield when plugged directly into an AV Receiver - ie bypassing e-arc and using the Receiver to just pass the Video to the TV.

Thanks. so I will get the shield outside its box soon...   (thought to keep hiding it for a while from my wife :))

14 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, has this helped answer your questions?

yes. thanks. :)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
raven-au
On 4/24/2021 at 3:42 PM, rbjtech said:

Don't think that's entirely correct.

My experience is that, with eARC, you can plug devices into the TV HDMI ports and the HD audio is passed through just fine.

But apps on the TV are restricted to DD+ Atmos and that's about it for HD audio.

I believe this is done deliberately by the TV manufacturers but might not apply to all TVs or all models from a given manufacturer.

It's hard to know for sure because I have only one eARC capable TV but this is what happens with it.

rbjtech
5 hours ago, raven-au said:

Don't think that's entirely correct.

My experience is that, with eARC, you can plug devices into the TV HDMI ports and the HD audio is passed through just fine.

But apps on the TV are restricted to DD+ Atmos and that's about it for HD audio.

I believe this is done deliberately by the TV manufacturers but might not apply to all TVs or all models from a given manufacturer.

It's hard to know for sure because I have only one eARC capable TV but this is what happens with it.

I believe that's what I previously said.

To note - DD+ is not HD Audio.

As explained,  eARC has the capability to pass HD Audio (ie it has the necessary bandwidth) but no TV manufacturer has either allowed this as an OUTPUT stream via their app API and/or has hardware limitations.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem I think.

TrueHD Atmos file -> Emby server -> lan -> LG C9 -> Emby TV app -> eArc HDMI -> Marantz SR5015 -> displays DD+ and not "Atmos" on info

Yet it CAN work because (all the same with Plex):

Same TrueHD file -> Plex server -> lan -> LG C9 -> Plex TV app -> eARC -> AVR -> DOES display "Atmos" on info

So it appears that Emby transcodes the TrueHD audio to DD+ while Plex does not and then everything passes it through unmodified correctly? Or maybe Plex does some transcoding to EAC3 or so? As EAC3 sources work fine on both.

Then when disabling audio transcoding on the user level for Emby I get no sound at all.

What I might try next is connect the LG's optical out to the AVR and not use eARc? And after that I'm giving up on streaming again... either the sound doesn't work, or the subtitles don't work, or some other conversion is going on that reduces quality in every streaming server I've tried so far. Back to the good old PC in the living room with VLC and direct HDMI + optical out I guess... always works. (must say though that so far Emby is the best of all of them: were it not for this issue I'd stick with it)

Edited by fasmit

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Exactly which app?  The LG one or Android TV one?

Right, LG's WebOS, so not the android one. Came here from Google. Is there a similar topic for that one?

Edited by fasmit

I remember LG's WebOS can't share with apps Atmos. I have the same problem so I buy Nvidia Shield Pro. 

It is so fast compare to LG and no more problem with sound. I recommand you.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MAX92 said:

I remember LG's WebOS can't share with apps Atmos. I have the same problem so I buy Nvidia Shield Pro. 

It is so fast compare to LG and no more problem with sound. I recommand you.

Thanks. Yes I was coincidentally checking out the specs of nvidia shield just now :) Can it play such high quality files from network on PC storage without problems?