Emby is transcoding Dolby TrueHD Atmos

grudi

grudi

Hi

Emby Theater runs on an Sony AG9 which supports Dolby Atmos. A Marantz AVR is connected via eArc to the Sony TV. 

When I play a movie through Emby the server is transcoding the audio Atmos stream to DD+. This is also shown on the AVR display. The attached file shows "AudioCodecNotSupported". 

Playing the same file on a Zappiti One 4k connected to the TV via HDMI will not transcode the file. The AVR status display shows correclty ATMOS.

Not sure why EMBY is transcoding the audio track of that movie.

ffmpeg-remux-53a02c52-5a9e-490f-88d3-6b2df4a96481_1.txt

Hi.  The only Android Device I'm aware of that natively supports True HD is the Shield.

The issue isn't the Atmos (which is just a layer on top of the audio).  It is the underlying audio track being True HD.

FrostByte

Since your TV has eARC you could try turning off audio transcoding on the server as a test and see if the TV app will passthrough TrueHD Atmos to your receiver.  

• Like 1

grudi

Since your TV has eARC you could try turning off audio transcoding on the server as a test and see if the TV app will passthrough TrueHD Atmos to your receiver.  

indeed. Turning off audio transcoding on the Server makes emby to send the atmos signal to the AVR. This sounds like an issue in ET. The zappiti Media Player is also an android device with an outdated Version, but does send the audio track to the AVR unmodified. 

• Like 2

FrostByte

I can't find anything in the manual stating that TV supports TrueHD Atmos, so maybe those other apps are just passing it through also?. 

The Shield is nice because it detects audio formats your receiver supports, so I'm guessing Android on the Sony can't or didn't do that.

If it can't detect your receiver's codecs then maybe @@ebr can add something in the options to allow you to select certain HD audio formats since the TV does have eARC and if you add a receiver then you should be able to play whatever audio files your receiver supports and not be held to just what the TV supports.

I can't find anything in the manual stating that TV supports TrueHD Atmos, so maybe those other apps are just passing it through also?. 

The Shield is nice because it detects audio formats your receiver supports, so I'm guessing Android on the Sony can't or didn't do that.

If it can't detect your receiver's codecs then maybe @@ebr can add something in the options to allow you to select certain HD audio formats since the TV does have eARC and if you add a receiver then you should be able to play whatever audio files your receiver supports and not be held to just what the TV supports.

Make sure you try re-starting the TV with the AVR powered on.

Also, you say it is showing Atmos but is it actually showing True HD as getting to your receiver?

grudi

Dolby atmos support was added as part of a recent firmware upgrade to Android 9 Pie in Jan 2020. 

• Like 1

FrostByte

Dolby atmos support was added as part of a recent firmware upgrade to Android 9 Pie in Jan 2020. 

Nice, hopefully @@ebr can figure it out then

Atmos is a metadata layer on top of an underlying audio stream.  That stream can be EAC3 (DD+) or True HD.  Support for Atmos is going to be dependent on also supporting that underlying audio stream.

Now, I also think that some changes have been made in the TrueHD world that may allow some sort of "core" to be extracted in situations where TrueHD isn't supported (much like DTS HD can) and I'm wondering if that is what is happening here.

So, does your receiver actually say it is receiving True HD Atmos, or just Atmos?

FrostByte

Not sure it really matters does it?  All he wants is Emby to not transcode it and let the hardware do its thing.  He's already proved Emby will direct play the TrueHD Atmos track if he turns off audio transcoding

If the TV supports TrueHD with Atmos after the firmware update and it has eARC then it shouldn't be stripping the TrueHD.  It should be either playing it, or passing it as is when connected to a receiver via the eARC port.  That's the whole reason he paid extra for a TV with eARC.  If it's stripping the TrueHD then someone at Sony really messed up

BTW my Shield also just says Atmos when direct playing TrueHD Atmos.  I've just got to trust that the people at Shield didn't lie to me about Atmos support and isn't stripping too

Not sure it really matters does it?  All he wants is Emby to not transcode it and let the hardware do its thing.  He's already proved Emby will direct play the TrueHD Atmos track if he turns off audio transcoding

If the TV supports TrueHD with Atmos after the firmware update and it has eARC then it shouldn't be stripping the TrueHD.  It should be either playing it, or passing it as is when connected to a receiver via the eARC port.  That's the whole reason he paid extra for a TV with eARC.  If it's stripping the TrueHD then someone at Sony really messed up

BTW my Shield also just says Atmos when direct playing TrueHD Atmos.  I've just got to trust that the people at Shield didn't lie to me about Atmos support and isn't stripping too

It matters how we would handle the situation.  If what you suppose is correct, then the system is lying to the app by telling it it doesn't support TrueHD.  I'd like to confirm that before I add an option to force it.

You mean your receiver says that?  On my Pioneer, I have an "info" button I can press and it will cycle through more detailed information about exactly what audio stream is being received.

CBers

My soundbar says Dolby Atmos when playing TrueHD audio on my Shield in the Emby ATV app.

CBers

Emby Theater runs on an Sony AG9 which supports Dolby Atmos.

Do you mean Emby Theatre, or Emby for Android TV ?

FrostByte

Yes, my soundbar just said Dolby Atmos just like CBers, but it says that for TrueHD and DD+ with Atmos files.  It doesn't say TruehD on the soundbar

• Like 1

FrostByte

Do you mean Emby Theatre, or Emby for Android TV ?

I'm thinking that was just a typo :)  Sony = Android

• Like 1

FrostByte

I still don't think we should care if his TV is converting TrueHD with Atmos to DD+ with Atmos internally (and it shouldn't be if it's eARC) or not.  We should be concentrating on why Emby is transcoding the file in the first place if it doesn't need to be.  He says it direct plays just fine when turning off audio transcoding. 

Let grudi deal with Sony and what it's doing because my guess it's outputting TrueHD Atmos if his TV supports it and the receiver is connected via eARC

• Like 1

FrostByte

Not to mention if the TV supports TrueHD with Atmos now even if he didn't have a receiver the TV should still direct play TrueHD Atmos to it's internal speakers :)  

We should be concentrating on why Emby is transcoding the file in the first place if it doesn't need to be.  

We already know that (from the initial post).  His system is reporting it does NOT support TrueHD...

That's why I asked about re-starting the TV with the outboard equipment powered up and also for confirmation on exactly what is being received by that equipment.

FrostByte

I'm going out on a limb here that he actually did that when he responded

That's why I mentioned if it's still reporting wrong after all that he could test it out by turning off transcoding and then you could maybe add an option to settings to override that :)

What his receiver is doing though makes no difference.  He already tested TrueHD and it works as far as he can tell

Edited by FrostByte

That's why I asked about re-starting the TV with the outboard equipment powered up and also for confirmation on exactly what is being received by that equipment.

I have not heard direct confirmation of these things and, if we can make his system properly report the support with a restart or something else, that is the proper avenue to take - rather than adding an option people can get themselves into trouble with.

• Like 1

ViruZ87

I think i have the same / similiar issue.

Windows 10 PC > (HMDI) > LG C9 > (eARC) > Denon x3500
tried it via VLC and films app, both times my Denon displays TrueHD

Open Media Vault with Emby running via docker > (wlan) > LG C9 > (eARC) > Denon x3500
emby app on LG, my Denon only displays dolby digital, denon app on android says only 5 incoming channels

if i understood right i have to disable "allow audio playback that requires transcoding" in user settings? well, that doesn't work for me.
any advice what i should try to make it work?

// after some more research.
C9 apps and TrueHD is not working 😕

Edited by ViruZ87

15 hours ago, ViruZ87 said:

Open Media Vault with Emby running via docker > (wlan) > LG C9 > (eARC) > Denon x3500
emby app on LG, my Denon only displays dolby digital, denon app on android says only 5 incoming channels

if i understood right i have to disable "allow audio playback that requires transcoding" in user settings? well, that doesn't work for me.

Hi.  This is the Android TV app forum.  It looks like you are using maybe Emby Theater on an HTPC?  The capabilities and setup will be different but please post details of an example in the Emby Theater forum if that is the case.

Thanks.

rbjtech
On 6/15/2020 at 10:32 PM, ViruZ87 said:

@ViruZ87 - Did you get this working ?

If you are using the Windows 10 PC as the Client - if connected via HDMI, then simply connect it to the Denon x3500 as an HDMI SOURCE and your LG C9 to the Denon as an HDMI Monitor - do not attempt to use ARC or eARC as they will not carry HD Audio.  This way you will get TrueHD/DTS-HD/DTS-X etc directly from your Denon - the TV is not processing any sound at all. 

Edited by rbjtech

ViruZ87

@rbjtech the passthrough with my PC > C9 > Denon is working fine but only with VLC.
I can't try the Windows Client of Emby as i have no premiere but i guess that would work aswell.
(also connecting everything via denon brings up new issues - i have to switch picture mode for tv, switch and pc. if connected directly i don't)

My issue is/was that emby on LG didn't play HD Audio from my homeserver. but the issue is this:

"WebOS apps support for lossless audio - there will be no WebOS app support for lossless HD audio soundtracks such as TrueHD, TrueHD+Atmos, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA or DTS:X - this is the same situation as for the 2019 models; The Alpha9 SoC has only an ARC capable audio output, so it cannot send lossless audio back to the receiver/soundbar, even if they are eARC capable, firmware updates cannot modify hardware limitations;"

HD Audio Movies > PC with VLC
for everything else i can use the LG apps