video card for transcoding?

thegrunge

thegrunge

@lightsout I installed the video card today everything works fine on the side of Emby for transcoding, but for handbrake I still have no option to use gpu. By cons I have the latest version of hanbrake which offers advanced encoding parameters, so it is not the last. Which version do you have?

lightsout
2 hours ago, thegrunge said:

@lightsout I installed the video card today everything works fine on the side of Emby for transcoding, but for handbrake I still have no option to use gpu. By cons I have the latest version of hanbrake which offers advanced encoding parameters, so it is not the last. Which version do you have?

Maybe try to reinstall Handbrake, obviously you installed the GPU driver. What graphics card did you end up with?

I am on version 1.2.0, which I believe is older, but don't see why the newer version wouldn't have it. Actually just upgrade to 1.3.2

and the option is there. You say you have a version that offers advanced encoding parameters. Is that some special version? Try downloading

the latest stable release. 

thegrunge
Sammy

@lightsout

Do you use HandBrake often? I haven't really found a need for it directly in years. As a matter of fact I didn't even install it on my last build back in December. It is run via a program call in MCEBuddy as an executable but the GUI never shows itself..

Sammy
On 6/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, arrbee99 said:

If you're looking at a GTX 1060 might also be worth looking at a 1660 Super. More modern, faster for generally the same price, far as I can tell (unless you're going second hand).

Have not tried that transcoding stream unlocking thing though.

Also, no idea where that PCI 2.0 thing you mentioned might come into it.

Just a thought from a very unknowledgeable person.

I got my GTX 1060 6GB from @Doofus for $80 shipped so I'm not complaining. Wish he would have stuck around.. He was pig headed but also had a wealth of information too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

thegrunge

Handbrake is the only encoding software I use.  I am under Windows 10. on the other hand I do not know MCEBuddy.  What exactly is he doing?

I indeed buy the 1660 plus it works well in a pci 2.0.  I also patched it to unlock the unlimited number of transcode

Edited by thegrunge

thegrunge

I did some crf encoding tests 18 The same film encoded in the traditional way was 3.82 GB in size and using the gpu on my video card the size changed to 7.52 GB. The image is clearly sharper. I will do a test by setting the crf to 20 to have a similar size and compare the difference in quality. In all cases the encoding is cut to the minimum in 4 over time which is not negligible!

lightsout
11 hours ago, Sammy said:

@lightsout

Do you use HandBrake often? I haven't really found a need for it directly in years. As a matter of fact I didn't even install it on my last build back in December. It is run via a program call in MCEBuddy as an executable but the GUI never shows itself..

I don't, at one point I was processing my emby recordings manually after mcebuddy cut the ads. But that was before I set mcebuddy to do the encoding as well.

• Like 1

arrbee99
14 hours ago, Sammy said:

I got my GTX 1060 6GB from @Doofus for $80 shipped so I'm not complaining. Wish he would have stuck around.. He was pig headed but also had a wealth of information too.

Hopefully he'll be back with an accompanying fanfare and a resounding 'ah 'ave reyturned' in a heavy French accent...

• Like 1