video card for transcoding?

thegrunge

thegrunge

Hello I would like advice for a video card which would be used for transcoding in emby. Knowing that I do video encoding, it would only be used for emby and the computer processor for video encoding.

Thanks!

• Like 1

lightsout

It doesn't take much. Have you seen this chart?

Nvidia GPU transcoding comparison data.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=77624&share_tid=75466&url=https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75466-Nvidia-GPU-transcoding-comparison-data%2E&share_type=t&link_source=app

I use a lowly 1050ti, I have tested quite a few streams. It's plenty for my home use. I use it because I wanted to take the load off of my CPU. Many other people use the 1060 6gb which I also used for a while.

If you get a newer Nvidia GPU on the Turing architecture it has an upgraded nvenc chip. I personally didn't see much of a difference for encoding between my 1060 and 2060.

thegrunge

@lightsout

Currently I have an integrated video card which would be an intel HD 2000 1 GB which is not supported for hardware acceleration. I would like an affordable card allowing me to be able to do 3 or 4 transcodes at the same time. I don't need more. what do you think about  GeForce GT 710 2 Go GDDR5 HDMI VGA DVI ?

Thanks

Edited by thegrunge

lightsout

@lightsout

Currently I have an integrated video card which would be an intel HD 2000 1 GB which is not supported for hardware acceleration. I would like an affordable card allowing me to be able to do 3 or 4 transcodes at the same time. I don't need more. what do you think about GeForce GT 710 2 Go GDDR5 HDMI VGA DVI ?

Thanks

Did you look at the link above? It needs to be viewed on a desktop but it goes all the way back to Kepler. I personally would probably look for a 10xx card. Something else may work but the encoder in the 10xx series was upgraded.

lightsout

Hi! What do you think would be a good compromise. I threw a eye at this table, I found the 710 passable. Generally people do not cut so say that at worst I would have 5 transcode at a time and I have no h265 it is not compatible enough with readers.

Thanks

https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding

How much are you looking to spend? Starting with a gpu like the 710 that is sooo underpowered, unless you are super budget restricted. Doesn't seem like a great idea.

thegrunge

Currently what I have as a computer is a Dell optiplex 990 with an i7-2600 3.40Ghz. I would say that I did not invest in a new and powerful machine by supposing that the majority of the users could read in direct reading therefore say that in this precise case it is really to release the processor has end of using it when I want

Sammy

@@Sammy would you recommend your GPU?

I have a GTX 1060 6Gb with the number of transcode streams unlocked. It works great and I have not just Emby Transcoding, I have MCEBuddy running 4 simultaneous HandBrake Conversions and run a BlueIris Security Cam PVR on this PC.

I currently have folding at home running to help solve the CoViD 19 virus which is pretty intensive at times. I turn it off if causing issues for playback.

thegrunge

@@Sammy Wow! Thanks for the feedback that's what a need :) what brand did you buy?

Edited by thegrunge

lightsout

Brand shouldn't really matter much. EVGA, MSI, Asus, gigabyte should all suit you well.

thegrunge

I just saw that this card for the PCI Express 3.0 my motherboard has a 2.0 (16x) I have to drop a grade according to me

arrbee99

If you're looking at a GTX 1060 might also be worth looking at a 1660 Super. More modern, faster for generally the same price, far as I can tell (unless you're going second hand).

Have not tried that transcoding stream unlocking thing though.

Also, no idea where that PCI 2.0 thing you mentioned might come into it.

Just a thought from a very unknowledgeable person.

thegrunge

I read it: How to know if a graphics card is compatible: Find the PCI Express slot

On many PCs, there will be a few expansion slots on the motherboard. Typically they will all be PCI Express, but for a graphics card you need a PCI Express x16 slot. There are three versions of this slot, but they’re backwards compatible, so a modern PCI Express 3.0 graphics card will work in a motherboard with a PCI Express x16 2.0 slot

Edited by thegrunge

lightsout

X2 or X3 won't matter at all.

OP I'm assuming when we're talking about older cards you will buy second hand. Don't go buy a 1060 new you'll get ripped off.

thegrunge

yes actually there are only second hand for this model 235$ Canadian dollar

thegrunge

Thanks for the advice I chose for 100 $ Canadian more than the 1060 the 1660 super :)

• Like 1

thegrunge

@Sammy Do you send the load of encodings on the video card. If yes, how did you proceed with Handbrake?

Sammy

@Sammy Do you send the load of encodings on the video card. If yes, how did you proceed with Handbrake?

Not sure what you mean but mainly I use MCEBuddy to strip commercials from recordings and re-encode to HEVC. MCEBuddy uses GPU encoding with HandBreak to do the re-encoding and I do up to four simultaneous re-encodes.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

thegrunge

@@Sammy as I understand hanbrake will automatically use the video card gpu. I have no option selected?

lightsout

@@Sammy as I understand hanbrake will automatically use the video card gpu. I have no option selected?

He is talking about using handbrake with mcebuddy. Are you talking about using handbrake as a stand alone? You

need to go into the settings and turn on hardware encoding. You then need to select the correct profile for your GPU,

with Nvidia it should be "H264 Nvenc" or "H265 Nvenc"

thegrunge

Ok I don't know mcebuddy. But in handbrake I think I know where to go. I'll see tomorrow when I get the card if I can activate this option

post-177488-0-19930200-1591743223_thumb.png

thegrunge

@SammyOk i installed the last version and now i have the option to used the gpu. The encoding time for the same film between the use of the processor and the gpu of the video card increased from 2:30 hours to 38 minutes!

Thank you!

Edited by thegrunge
  • Thanks 1