Emby add-on causes crash/freeze

rooser11

rooser11

During an initial sync with Kodi, if I start playing a video from a dynamic library link within the add-on's menu, the video plays fine.  However, if I stop the video, then the entire UI/Kodi freezes.  I lose ssh connection to Kodi.  It does not come back.  Embyserver.log is attached.  .22 is the one running Kodi (coreelec 9.2.2).  .42 is the emby server (embyserver 4.4.3 running on docker).  The same crash happens on kodi running on Firestick 4k and the latset coreelec nightlies too.

To add some details, the crash does not happen after the sync is complete.  I cannot tell if this happens during the subsequent syncs that handle only a couple files as sync is usually completed before I even get to test a video.  But even when I refresh libraries hence many files are still being synced while I play a video, then as soon as I hit the stop button, the entire UI freezes.  This bug should be reproduced easily.

Edit: attached the file!

embyserver.txt

Edited by rooser11

TeamB

Oh the joys of syncing

Syncing is system intensives, mem, cpu, io, threads etc, some systems won't like it, it could be that playing a file while syncing is just pushing your system over the edge.

rooser11

One thing I noticed - even on a desktop with 8600K + 32gb ram, Kodi freezes when I do the same exact thing I described above.

1. refresh one of the libraries (e.g., Movies)

2. play a video from the emby server

3. press the stop button

the system freezes and I was going to write about this but Kodi came back when the sync was completed.  Since it was a desktop pc, the sync was considerably faster than Kodi running on a meager tv box.

So it seems like sync takes priority over the stop function (which I suspect wants to send the resume point back to the server)? 

is there any way to make the stop function take priority over the sync operation being done?  or have an option, during the video playback, to stop the sync and then ask to resume once the video playback is over?  the current option only delays the sync operation while video is being played, but does not actually stop an ongoing sync operation when a video is started.

i understand that this happening is very unlikely but since i am trying to set one up for my friend's parents, hope to make this foolproof. 

thanks for the awesome add on by the way. 

Edited by rooser11

TeamB

The sync is probably locking the Kodi DB or some other resource that is needed in the stop action reporting.

Thats one of the problems with sync, it is directly accessing the DB which can cause some very weird side effects, direct DB assess is forbidden by the Kodi team in regards to Kodi add-ons for this reason.

I am not sure how much traction you will get with this issue, here is a current break down the the status of Kodi addons in regards to Emby:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/86968-current-status-of-kodi-add-ons/

rooser11

Thanks, I think that probably is the issue too given that the sync operation must take priority over the stop action reporting.  At least I know why this happens, I suppose I need to educate them to wait. ;)