VAAPI Not Properly Accessing - One Solution

Bakers

Bakers

Just in case anyone is having a similar problem

I installed the AMDGPU-PRO driver (20.10) on my Ubuntu server 18.04 installation. I found after a reboot that I had no hardware encoding anymore. Checking the logs said that there was an error "Opperation not permitted" with an error on accessing "/dev/dri/renderD128"

The solution I found was to enable all users to access the render device. The permissions on "/dev/dri/renderD128" was 660. I changed it to 666 and now emby is detecting and properly hardware transcoding once again.

simple command to execute:

sudo chmod a+rw /dev/dri/renderD128

Bakers

Actually this is only a temporary fix, on a system reboot the permissions are reset and emby no longer can access the render driver.

Here is the corrected permissions which work (after restarting only emby):

ls -al /dev/dri/renderD128
crw-rw-rw-+ 1 root video 226, 128 Jun  5 03:37 /dev/dri/renderD128

The user Emby is a member of the group video so it should have access to this driver, but for some reason it does not. Is there a configuration setting I am missing somewhere to make this function correctly?

Bakers

BAZINGA!! 

I figured this out. There was a typo in my /etc/group file on the video line. Because of the typo, emby was not a member of the video group and thus did not have access to the hardware encoder driver. I corrected and after a reboot all is well. I was able to confirm with the following commands:

$ members video
emby

$ groups emby
emby : emby video

If emby is not in the video group, it will not have proper access to the driver for VAAPI transcoding. This is a strange problem as the hardware encoding was working for months before this happened, I don't know why the system ignored the typo until now, but at least all is right with my emby server world once again.

Bakers

Hi, are you using our Ubuntu package, or our Docker container?

I use the Ubuntu package running on 18.04.

This is already included in our Knowledge Base article of how to setup Linux for Emby use with hardware Transcoding if you don't skip steps. :)

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160207-hardware-acceleration-on-linux

There is a section of things needed to be done:

Required Setup Steps

The steps for installing the Intel Media SDK may vary depending on your actual system. Please follow the instructions appropriate for your actual setup which you can find here:

In the Getting Started doc is:

"Prerequisite Steps Add the user(s) who will run Intel® Media Server Studio – SDK applications to the video group

$ usermod -a -G video [LOGIN]"

• Like 1